Less messy way to poach an egg (less cleanup)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caslon, I've been using this method for years when I heard it here first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWuzNlrlUw&nohtml5=False

I tried this for lunch, and it worked nicely! I didn't have a small clear glass microwave-safe cooking bowl, so I used the sugar bowl that came with my stoneware dish set. I'd probably go the additional 5 seconds, as the yolk was super runny, but otherwise, a perfect poached egg!

Thanks again, Kay!

Last edited:
You're so welcome Dawg. Glad it worked out for you too! Next time you might want to adopt Bea's brilliant idea like I have.......

I tried this again today and swapped out the little Pyrex custard cup, pictured in the video, for a Pyrex measuring cup. It made it much easier for me to maneuver the dish of hot water out of the microwave and also made it easier to slide the egg onto a slotted spoon to drain. A teacup would probably work just as well.

Another great idea! However, I finally found a use for my sugar bowl, which I haven't used for 25 years since I got the dish set. It's exactly 4.5 inches wide, and I think it will be my dedicated egg-poacher bowl! Nice to finally find a use for it!

Last edited:
I've gone from poaching to scrambling.

Beat the egg with a fork, nuke 20 seconds and stir, nuke 10 seconds, stir and eat. Double the time for two eggs.

I've had a microwave since the 70's and I'm just now learning how to use if for something other than reheating cold coffee! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I nuked a scrambled egg from memory (bad idea) in a coffee cup a while ago. I forgot to add water or something, and it didn't end well. Will have to try your method, AB.

Last edited:
Scrambled eggs microwaved? I use a Pyrex measuring cup and spritz some Pam in it for easier cleanup. Adding a small pat of butter makes them fluffier. I toss in some chopped frozen chives. I zap it for 15 seconds at a time and stir with the last zap being less than 10 seconds so as not to end up with foam rubber. The eggs will continue to cook in the Pyrex after nuking, so I stop when the eggs are still a bit moist. Before hand, I zap some bacon and have 1 piece of bread in the toaster. A glass of orange juice and it's a quick convenient light breakfast (using one egg).

Last edited:
I tried the nuking and stirring method of 'scrambled' eggs a few times many years ago, and never did like how they came out. There always seemed to be overdone/underdone spots - they just weren't consistent.

I just use my favorite little 8" Teflon skillet for one or two eggs, and gently scramble them in a little butter until they're set but still 'shiny'. I like to be able to see when they're at the doneness I like and I can't do that if they're nuked. I'm really picky about scrambled eggs. :)

Last edited:
I tried the nuking and stirring method of 'scrambled' eggs a few times many years ago, and never did like how they came out. There always seemed to be overdone/underdone spots - they just weren't consistent.

Yes, they tend to do that. I try and break up the done parts of the egg during nuking by breaking them up with a fork the best I can. I minimize the overdone parts somewhat by nuking them in short spurts, as many as 5 times, breaking up the done parts and incorporating them into the undone portion. Someone should invent a microwave cooking gadget that keeps this from happening.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. Who knows where to find that?

In Japan. A biodegradible plastic-type wrap is made from shrimp shells. It seals the food in the same way, and is used to package foods the same way that plastic wrap is used. And if the shrimp were wild shrimp, they would be termed organic. But here, in the U.S. I'm not thinking it would be considered local.:LOL::D

Just sayin";)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom