Made butter the other day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Russ, Is the butter there like the so called Euro-butter, with more fat (therefore, more flavor)? The standard water content of American butter is about 20%. And do they sour the cream slightly, before churning the butter? Another thing that increases the flavor of the butter.

I'll get a pic for you.

Russ

Making butter ... hmm. I have a half gallon of cream in my freezer (someone brought this for Thanksgiving and we did not use it). Do you think it could be turned to butter?

When you make butter, the churning is the easy part. Just out it into the KA and let it go.

What's important to your butter's preservation is the folding and rinsing. After the churning, you have to rinse off the milk residue/solids, folding and rinsing repeatedly to get all the pockets of residue out of the butter.

Making butter ... hmm. I have a half gallon of cream in my freezer (someone brought this for Thanksgiving and we did not use it). Do you think it could be turned to butter?

Take a mason jar, thaw out just enough of that cream to half fill it, and give everyone in the family a turn at shaking. If you end up with butter, go for the rest of it. Otherwise save it for dessert or coffee. And should you turn it into butter, don't forget to salt it.

Take a mason jar, thaw out just enough of that cream to half fill it, and give everyone in the family a turn at shaking. If you end up with butter, go for the rest of it. Otherwise save it for dessert or coffee. And should you turn it into butter, don't forget to salt it.
Curious, Addie. Why salt it? I prefer using unsalted butter to cook and bake with. Salted butter for spreading. Is homemade butter so bland?

Also, can one use homemade butter to make ghee?

Curious, Addie. Why salt it? I prefer using unsalted butter to cook and bake with. Salted butter for spreading. Is homemade butter so bland?

Yes, you can. Melting it works the same as 'industrial' butter.

I find unsalted butter bland. I also believe unsalted butter is an ingredient, similar to extra virgin olive oil, that is called for in recipes a lot more often than it is needed. These ingredients make your recipe sound more legit. 99.99% of the time no one will be able to tell the difference. JMHO.

Unsalted has absolutely no taste IMHO. To me it is like just eating a mouthful of tasteless grease. And very rarely does a recipe call for more than a teaspoon of salt. So for the amount of salt you add making your own butter, won't throw off the recipe.

I agree with those who believe unsalted butter to be bland..

When I first started making desserts, I kept unsalted butter on hand.. I came to realize that most of the recipes I use call for salt.. I stopped adding salt and use salted butter..

Seems to work well for us..

Ross

I find regular unsalted butter bland too. I don't keep it on hand, because there is always other salt in the recipe anyways, so a bit of salt in the butter doesn't change that.

However, I do enjoy unsalted, cultured butter.

I don't eat butter by the mouthful ;) I buy unsalted just to keep it easy for both of us to remember. I keep a dish of salt on the counter for use on bread and whatever else needs it.

I don't eat butter by the mouthful ;) I buy unsalted just to keep it easy for both of us to remember. I keep a dish of salt on the counter for use on bread and whatever else needs it.
Hehheh! I don’t eat butter by the spoonful either!

When I lived in Japan, though, I did try “raisin butter.” It’s an appetizer that they served in clubs and small plate restaurants. It’s exactly what it sounds like; chilled butter with raisins. I found it revolting, but to each his own!

The only time I use unsalted butter is when I make my turkey dressing for the holidays. I use so much butter that I have better control of the salt that way.

I don't bake much, but I just eliminate the salt in the recipe and use salted butter.
I also find no taste at all in unsalted butter.

I like unsalted butter for pan sauces..I'll add salty ingredients or just add salt near the end..it imparts a nice rich flavor and helps the sauce become richer coat the tongue. Now that I am a pro,(I've made it once ;p) I have to say that the freshly made stuff does taste more of butter than the supermarket unsalted butter..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom