Mayo substituted for eggs in pies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluffyAngel

Senior Cook
I've successfully subbed out mayo for eggs in casseroles and such but is that possible in, oh, say a lemon meringue pie filling? Normally I don't skimp on ingredients but it's day before pay day. Wallet is lean today. Actually it's downright skinny. So, opinions, advice? Is something like that a possibility? Or maybe ice cream in place of egg yolks. Extra cornstarch for thickening & ice cream melted down for creaminess or evaporated milk?

The cornstarch should be okay. Have any tapioca? Or gelatin. Either might give it that satin texture. Not going to be a meringue pie, of course, or you'd have the eggs yolks you need. Just dust the top with powdered sugar. All pie is good.

Okay, this is what I did. I used my lemon meringue pie filling recipe and when it was time for the egg yolks instead I added a can of sweetened condensed milk. THEN - I added 4 cups of fresh blueberries. This gave me 2 delicious lemon blueberry pies.

FluffyAngel said:
Okay, this is what I did. I used my lemon meringue pie filling recipe and when it was time for the egg yolks instead I added a can of sweetened condensed milk. THEN - I added 4 cups of fresh blueberries. This gave me 2 delicious lemon blueberry pies.

Oh, thank goodness, FA! No mayo in your pies! Whew. Glad they turned out so well!

Last edited:
justplainbill said:
Spring for 1/2 dozen eggs. It's a high nutrition to cost ratio food.

Thanks & I agree. Eggs are cheap & nutritional, however I am on a tight budget & could not afford to waste the gas nor to purchase a half carton of eggs. I have to get by sometimes & use what I have on hand. The eggs I thought I had on hand were way beyond out of date. But it's all good.:) my experiment was delicious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom