Ms. Mofet's Cold Start Instant Pot Yogurt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
This yogurt is so easy to make with an IP.

Cold start is so much easier than the boil method. Half and Half and/or heavy cream comes out so thick and creamy.

Ms. Mofet's Cold Start Instant Pot Yogurt

1/2 gallon Ultra Pasteurized Half and Half
OR
1 Quart Ultra Pasteurized Half and Half
1 Quart Ultra Pasteurized Heavy Cream
(Has to be Ultra Pasteurized for cold start)

3 TBSP. Plain Greek Yogurt
Combine above till smooth and no lumps.
Place in Instant Pot inner liner pot.
Select Yogurt NORMAL Mode, set for 8 hours.
That's it you're done, walk away.
When done incubating strain 12 hours.
Thick, creamy and mild.

Sounds easy and an interesting way to do it. Too bad I don't have an Instant Pot. I assume it has to be ultra pasteurized because of the time the cream will be at temperatures that would grow unfriendly microorganisms.

I haven't had any luck when trying to make quark with UHT milk. It didn't work right at all. I assume that was due to the change in the structure of the proteins. Maybe it's because quark is cultured with a mesophilic bacteria and yogourt is cultured with a thermophilic bacteria. Anyhoo, that's why I am skeptical of using UHT milk or cream for culturing.

I have seen things like this using ultra pasteurized milk before, but never tried it. Though almost all cream available is UP, not much milk I see is, plus, I'm cheap, and it's more expensive! :LOL: I have no problems about heating milk up, then cooling it down.

I have seen things like this using ultra pasteurized milk before, but never tried it. Though almost all cream available is UP, not much milk I see is, plus, I'm cheap, and it's more expensive! :LOL: I have no problems about heating milk up, then cooling it down. But if you are making this with the higher fat creams, why not use the method given?

Back
Top Bottom