"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Re those eggs: any advice as to changes in method if the eggs are newer/older, and are the eggs room temp before putting in the pot? Does either thing matter at all? Thanks, folks.
TL, both those factors are addressed in the Serious Eats article. It's interesting and worth reading. I'm going to try that method next time.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:26 AM   #22
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,007
Sorry. I'll go back and read it now. Thanks for the affable answer, Andy.
__________________

__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #23
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
This gadget would help with peeling stubborn shells, but I tried a small teaspoon by doing the same and it worked well too.

I have been using a spoon for probably ten years now. Be sure to crack the shell all over for best results and when you first start off dip the spoon in water. As with any method start with the air pocket.

. A fellow forum member from a chicken site showed me.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #24
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,586
I also pierce the air pocket. Find I rarely if ever get an egg that "leaks" in the water.

This week I am going to boil some eggs. A couple I will peel right away. After that I will peel a couple over several days.
I want to see how long it takes the grey colour to appear around the yolk. I once read it depended on the metal of your pot. Well, I found it didn't make an iota of difference.
I understand it is also a chemical reaction - think that was in Kenji's article but I read it a long time ago... but whatever it was, at the time, I didn't find it made much difference.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
...I want to see how long it takes the grey colour to appear around the yolk. I once read it depended on the metal of your pot. Well, I found it didn't make an iota of difference...

The explanations I've heard for the gray/green layer around the yolk is that it happens when you over cook the eggs.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #26
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,586
Nope - done perfect eggs, very much like everyone else - still get green/gray.

Eggsample - cook six eggs, cool immediately, peel one and it will be perfect. Next day there will be a slight greyish tinge. Then as the days go by the green/gray gets more intense.

What I want to find out is if I peel them but not cut open - will I have that colour? I read it is a chemical reaction between ...??... and can't remember where I read it. I know that chemical names were used to explain the situation but at the time I wasn't really interested in cause and effect ergo didn't retain in grey cells.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,090
I've never had yolks tun color after refrigeration.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #28
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I want to see how long it takes the grey colour to appear around the yolk. I once read it depended on the metal of your pot. Well, I found it didn't make an iota of difference.
According to the American Egg Board, it's from cooking too long or too hot.

https://www.incredibleegg.org/cookin...gs-turn-green/

I assume the same applies north of the border
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,122
I hate that green color around egg yolks and since I started cooking them in cold water brought to the boil, then covered, turned off and let sit for 10 minutes I've never seen another green one.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #30
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Re those eggs: any advice as to changes in method if the eggs are newer/older, and are the eggs room temp before putting in the pot? Does either thing matter at all? Thanks, folks.
Read the article linked above for the Food Lab at Serious Eats. It answers all of those questions and more.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #31
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I hate that green color around egg yolks and since I started cooking them in cold water brought to the boil, then covered, turned off and let sit for 10 minutes I've never seen another green one.
Since I almost always peel them after refrigeration, I'll try Kenji's method of of starting with boiling water, then simmer after putting the eggs in it. I'm tired of my peeled eggs looking like they've been through the war. Since he went from 50% good to 90% good that way, I can't see a downside. Since the green/gray layer is connected to overcooking, I think that it can be avoided either way.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,739
Using the Instant Pot to make hard-boiled eggs was a revelation. Pressure-cook them for four minutes, let sit for four minutes, then put them in a bowl of ice water for 10 minutes. Then shake them around to break the shells and shells practically fall off. They're perfect every time.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Since I almost always peel them after refrigeration, I'll try Kenji's method of of starting with boiling water, then simmer after putting the eggs in it. I'm tired of my peeled eggs looking like they've been through the war. Since he went from 50% good to 90% good that way, I can't see a downside. Since the green/gray layer is connected to overcooking, I think that it can be avoided either way.
I'm also a big fan of Kenji so I'm willing to give his method a try as I've never gotten bad advice from him. I generally don't have a problem with the shells as long as they've been in the fridge for a week or more, and I always peel them right after cooling, and then refrigerate.
I will say that if I end up with green yolks from Kenji, I'm back to my method.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #34
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Using the Instant Pot to make hard-boiled eggs was a revelation. Pressure-cook them for four minutes, let sit for four minutes, then put them in a bowl of ice water for 10 minutes. Then shake them around to break the shells and shells practically fall off. They're perfect every time.
Yet, Kenji found no advantage to pressure cooking. He found it less desirable.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #35
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've never had yolks tun color after refrigeration.
me either and I've kept them for the better part of a week sometimes.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Yet, Kenji found no advantage to pressure cooking. He found it less desirable.
That's okay. It works great for me. I like and respect Kenji, but I have had a couple fails from him. His caramelized onions in the pressure cooker were pretty nasty, imo. Too sweet and not enough savory, browned flavor.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #37
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,586
But how long do you keep your hard boiled eggs before cutting open.

I'm thinking the longer they are in contact (yolk & whites) the sulfur and iron are more liable to do their work for the green. On the other hand, I believe I have a very high content of iron in my well water, which according to the University of ... ermm Nevada (or Nebraska?) says can also play a part.

But unless you are using the egg for pretty slices - most hard boiled eggs are mashed and/or chopped so who gives a fig! That li'l bit o'green cannot be seen! (speaking of green)
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #38
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's okay. It works great for me. I like and respect Kenji, but I have had a couple fails from him. His caramelized onions in the pressure cooker were pretty nasty, imo. Too sweet and not enough savory, browned flavor.
I'm not surprised GG, I made some onion soup and froze them in individual servings. I was so careful with the carmalizing... but now, after having been frozen for a while... they are so sweet as to be just plain yechy!

I am/was! very disappointed.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #39
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,203
I keep them in the shell until ready to use.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #40
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
But how long do you keep your hard boiled eggs before cutting open.

I'm thinking the longer they are in contact (yolk & whites) the sulfur and iron are more liable to do their work for the green. On the other hand, I believe I have a very high content of iron in my well water, which according to the University of ... ermm Nevada (or Nebraska?) says can also play a part.

But unless you are using the egg for pretty slices - most hard boiled eggs are mashed and/or chopped so who gives a fig! That li'l bit o'green cannot be seen! (speaking of green)
Yep... not about to lose any sleep over it.
__________________

__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egg, eggs, oil

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×