Need help soft boiling eggs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never flip my fried eggs so hurray I can already do sunny side up !:chef:

Life is seriously too short for trimming them!! You could put them in a ring or something if you desperately wanted them to be neat. :rolleyes:

When I was traveling to Jolly Olde frequently I would have breakfast in the cafeteria at work. They always served the eggs sunny side up (yellows showing) though they did put them in a toaster oven to make sure they were rock hard first.

A few times I caught them after they had fried eggs but before the toaster over and got proper sunny side up (runny yolks) eggs. They always seemed confused that anyone would eat them this way because "they aren't finished cooking yet".

That and some cheesy toast and I am happy. :)

I recall the term "3 minute egg" from my childhood. Will have to try them again.

I love soft boil egg. Interesting how there are so many different sugestions. Reallt how hard should it be to boil an egg. But in fact it is not simpl at all. I have to say that even though I do the same thing all the time, half of the time results are different. For a life of me I do not know why.

I love soft boil egg. Interesting how there are so many different sugestions. Reallt how hard should it be to boil an egg. But in fact it is not simpl at all. I have to say that even though I do the same thing all the time, half of the time results are different. For a life of me I do not know why.
I do think you need to bring the eggs to room temp if you want to do a 3-minute egg, but I'm probably a wee bit biased since the eggs I use are SO fresh (and haven't been put in the fridge).

I'm surprised there are so many ways to soft boil an agg. Mine:

Place eggs in warm water (about 100 degrees, ~body temperature) for 30-60 minutes to warm eggs to room temperature. This is so the shock of hitting the hot water won't crack them. (I haven't needed salt nor vinegar.)

Fill a sauce pan with water and bring it to a low boil. Carefully place eggs in boiling water using a spoon. The water should diminish boiling as the eggs take up some of the heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a slight simmer and time for 3 minutes.

Remove eggs, cool slightly on a wadded kitchen towel, crack and scoop out contents, serve.

My method results in a runny egg yolk and white. YMMV. Adjust cooking time to doneness preference.

I am gonna try my hand at soft boiled eggs tomorrow. While I was out on my errands today, I fell victim to the offerings from one our local country stores who prepare homestyle meals at lunch time. I am, currently, still recovering from the FBS and am slowly returning from worthlessness.

wow, thanks so much, everyone. lots of great info and techniques.

i got stuck at work this morning so our cook off will have to wait.

i will post results as soon as we do this.

lots to read and chew on. (chewy eggs? yuk, lol)

I'm surprised there are so many ways to soft boil an agg. Mine:

Place eggs in warm water (about 100 degrees, ~body temperature) for 30-60 minutes to warm eggs to room temperature. This is so the shock of hitting the hot water won't crack them. (I haven't needed salt nor vinegar.)

Fill a sauce pan with water and bring it to a low boil. Carefully place eggs in boiling water using a spoon. The water should diminish boiling as the eggs take up some of the heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a slight simmer and time for 3 minutes.

Remove eggs, cool slightly on a wadded kitchen towel, crack and scoop out contents, serve.

My method results in a runny egg yolk and white. YMMV. Adjust cooking time to doneness preference.
I guess if you don't have hens, you need to bring the eggs to room temp. I didn't realize it took that long. Learn s/thing new every day. And, the new hens lay eggs that are like the ones in stores--the yolks are pale. I'm guessing they need to be on a free-range diet for about 21 days to get the egg quality to improve. For now, those hens are laying "dog eggs" (eggs fed to the dogs). We prefer the good eggs! For soft-boiled eggs, I like the yolk runny, and the white more or less set--3-minute egg works for me.

Last edited:
No, I don't have hens. I was guessing at the amount of time it would take to come up to room temp. Might take less time. I'm sure everybody understands that I don't have written down a recipe on how to make soft boiled eggs. My is just one of the ways to deal with the shock of a cold egg dropping into boiling water causing the egg to crack.

Dog eggs, eh? That's something new for me. I doubt any of the areas I contemplate moving to will allow me to keep chickens. Would be interested otherwise.

I like to mix my soft boiled eggs with a cubed piece of toast, toss it, and a little S+P on that, a good breakfast IMO.

As long as this is a discussion about other ways of cooking eggs, how about a fried egg ("up") over a stack of pancakes, maple syrup over that? (And a little salt.) One of my favorite breakfasts.

For non-US members: the term "sunny side up" is often shortened to "up" or "eggs up" as in a coffee shop order. Fried on one side only. Usually served with runny yolk, the way I like mine.

oh, there's nothing like a runny yolked, ss up egg over a medium rare steak.

the yolk becomes a decadent sauce for the meat as you cut into it.

oh, there's nothing like a runny yolked, ss up egg over a medium rare steak.

the yolk becomes a decadent sauce for the meat as you cut into it.

And if the steak is grilled over fire, well, that's just better still. And if we're delving into the subject of topping things with runny-yolk eggs, crispy hash browns (shredded not cubed) with an egg on top is tasty too, as is corned beef hash.

Hmmm. Have you ever made an egg sandwich on soft, whole wheat bread, with mayonaise and American Cheese slices, with a runny yolk, bacon grease basted egg? If you haven't you have to try it. Have napkins ready.

Egg is also great made into the infamous - wait for it, Scotch Eggs. Those look so good. I'm wondering how fantastic they would be with a soft boiled egg inside, rather than hard boiled. Breakfast sausage and egg yolk is such a great combination. Good stuff!:chef:

Oh, and BT, I hear that raw egg is great for conditioning hair. So, tonight, sneak up behind your DW and crack an egg in her hair. Make sure to thoroughly work it in. She'll thank you.:ohmy::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ok, I'm ducking and running, fast.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
lol, chief.

i've heard the song before: you don't tug on superman's cape, you don't spit in the wind. you don't pull the mask off the ol' lone ranger, and you don't mess around with jim.

i married jim's twin sister... :huh:

Soft boiled eggs are 3-5 minutes in a rolling boil here. Depends on your altitude how long to cook 'em. I have egg cups for mine so they get pulled out, popped into an egg cup and I whack the top off with a knife. Dip those toast fingers and chow down!

Side note: When my youngest was about 5 or 6 she once came home for lunch and ate 7 soft boiled eggs with toast! Considering she didn't break 50lbs til she was in about grade 3...that's a LOT of eggs for a little girl!

No, I don't have hens. I was guessing at the amount of time it would take to come up to room temp. Might take less time. I'm sure everybody understands that I don't have written down a recipe on how to make soft boiled eggs. My is just one of the ways to deal with the shock of a cold egg dropping into boiling water causing the egg to crack.

Dog eggs, eh? That's something new for me. I doubt any of the areas I contemplate moving to will allow me to keep chickens. Would be interested otherwise.

I like to mix my soft boiled eggs with a cubed piece of toast, toss it, and a little S+P on that, a good breakfast IMO.

As long as this is a discussion about other ways of cooking eggs, how about a fried egg ("up") over a stack of pancakes, maple syrup over that? (And a little salt.) One of my favorite breakfasts.

For non-US members: the term "sunny side up" is often shortened to "up" or "eggs up" as in a coffee shop order. Fried on one side only. Usually served with runny yolk, the way I like mine.
Dog eggs are the ones that the dogs get to eat--I screwed up my poached egg yesterday--it was too "done" for my liking, so it was a dog egg and I made another egg for myself (when you have hens, you can do that--I traded 3 doz eggs today for some venison). Dog eggs are also the eggs that we don't find the day they are laid...the eggs that are hidden in the grass/loft/etc The dogs don't mind, but I like my eggs FRESH.

Okay--for those of you who don't have hens--you have NOT lived until you've had an egg salad sandwich made with homemade mayo using eggs you collected in the morning, warm hb eggs you also collected in the morning, and homemade wholewheat bread. Go ahead and drool. Next time I do that, I'll snap a pic if I stop myself from eating it first.

Okay--for those of you who don't have hens--you have NOT lived until you've had an egg salad sandwich made with homemade mayo using eggs you collected in the morning, warm hb eggs you also collected in the morning, and homemade wholewheat bread. Go ahead and drool. Next time I do that, I'll snap a pic if I stop myself from eating it first.
Show off :-p

Just you wait! I will bring eggs when we meet up in August. But, I'm not promising to wash the feathers off!
Ooh, sounds good. Since you get your girls vaccinated for salmonella, I think those eggs will be for something that uses raw egg. Steak tartar with a raw egg yolk on top, Danish dessert mousse, ... I'm sure I'll think of more stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom