Omelet ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I've discovered that omelets are a great dinner solution when I'm tired. I'd love some suggestions for simple omelets that have a minimal number of ingredients and are quick to prepare. Thanks!

You can put anything in an omelet. Some favorites are chopped ham, onions, cheese, green peppers, asparagus, hashbrowns, taco meat, shredded chicken or pork, steak strips, hot dogs, smoked or regular sausage. You can chop and cook the meats ahead and freeze them in individual portions then thaw and add to make it quick. You can do the same with veggies. Don't forget mushrooms! Those would be good too!

That leaves me out. My omelets tend to have a lot more in them than eggs and cheese, but I think they are still easy to prepare.

My favorite is bacon, mushroom cheddar.
I also like to brown home fries and drop them into the omelet right after you put the eggs in. Then some fresh green onions and cheddar cheese.
Ham, Swiss.
Spanish.
Mixed peppers.
Try to sprinkle some fajita ingredients into the eggs, and top with Monterrey Jack. Serve with salsa.
Eggs are so neutral you can almost add anything you want, really.

I love some kind of meat, some kind of cheese, but along with that, my favorite item in an omelet is fresh chopped spinach leaves. It not only looks really pretty, it adds a "freshness" like nothing else.

I love some kind of meat, some kind of cheese, but along with that, my favorite item in an omelet is fresh chopped spinach leaves. It not only looks really pretty, it adds a "freshness" like nothing else.

So do you cover the pan and let the spinach cook down or leave it raw on top of the cooked ingredients?

A few of my favorite fillings...

Mushroom & Swiss

Ham, broccoli, and cheddar

Pizza: pepperoni, black olives, and mozzarella on the inside. Top with canned pizza sauce and more cheese.

Greek: spinach, feta, onion on the inside. Top with tzatziki sauce.

Southwest: canned green chiles, pepper jack cheese on the inside. Top with salsa verde.

A lot of times I'll make omelets using whatever leftovers I have in the fridge.

Last edited:
All of the above! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Try a sweet one filled with a dollop of your favorite jam, finish it with a spank or two of powdered sugar when it hits the plate!

So do you cover the pan and let the spinach cook down or leave it raw on top of the cooked ingredients?

When the egg mixture is just about set, I sprinkle over the raw roughly chopped spinach with the rest of the fillings. By the time the omelet is folded over and set for a minute, the leaves have wilted just right to my liking. Maybe it's me, but it just "seems" healthier to have that green going on, and it tastes great too. :yum:

I've discovered that omelets are a great dinner solution when I'm tired. I'd love some suggestions for simple omelets that have a minimal number of ingredients and are quick to prepare. Thanks!
My favourite is mushrooms sautéd in butter or Spanish omelette with onions and potato. The latter isn't as quick as a French omelette but can be eaten hot or cold so can be made in advance.

A while back I found frozen omelettes in the supermarket which took longer to thaw and reheat in the oven that it would take to made one from stretch!!!

Last edited:
You can add ingredients on half the egg after the egg is set then fold the empty side over on top of the ingredients.

You can add the stuff in with the uncooked egg and cook it all together.

You can cook up some meat and veggies in a skillet then pour beaten eggs on top and cook it all together until partially cooked then add some cheese and pop it under the broiler to finish cooking it and melt the cheese.

Thanks for all the options, Andy. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it. I watched a youtube video of Jacques Pepin making omelets, and it was way too intimidating. I think I'll stick to simplicity for now!

Back
Top Bottom