Omelet problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Taxi, I'd purchase a little inexpensive non stick skillet dedicated to nothing but omelets.

The Simply Calphalon omelet pans I have are great and they are sold with glass lids.
An inexpensive one, maybe. I don't have much space in the pots and pans drawer.

That Calphalon omelette pan isn't what I call inexpensive. A quick search and the cheapest I can find is CAD 47. I'm not sure I like that kind of omelette that much. :ermm::LOL:

I need to come onto this thread once more to thank Taxy for giving us a link to the Julia Child omelet technique. It's so easy and good that I had to purchase an 8 inch non-stick pan today, something I swore I'd never purchase (non-stick pans). I've experimented with seasonings in the egg, and with toppings. They've all come out great.

Thanks TaxLady.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'll have a look, but I don't expect that good a bargain. ;)

Thanks for reminding me that grocery stores often carry stuff like that.

Don't buy a crappy grocery store pan.
You are a Costco member, right?
They have a two pan set of non-stick for $29.00. It consists of one 10 inch saute/omelet and one 12 inch. It could 9" and 10" not exactly sure.
But, these look and feel just like Calphalon. They are the Kirkland brand. The price was so good I bought the two pans.

Time will tell how good they are. But for $29.00, its a good deal anyway you look at it. Both have riveted handles and are oven safe.

I usually follow the North american/English way of making omelets but for lunch today I followed the Pepin French omelet method demonstrated in his video.

I have to say I am impressed! It worked a treat and I ended up with a lovely spinach and Swiss cheese omelet, nicely set on the outside and cooked but almost a tad creamy on the inside. I think this is my new omelet making method. It was delicious!

edit: I used my tried and trusted old Le Creuset omelet pan, so no probs with the fork scratching the inside.

Last edited:
Don't buy a crappy grocery store pan.
You are a Costco member, right?
They have a two pan set of non-stick for $29.00. It consists of one 10 inch saute/omelet and one 12 inch. It could 9" and 10" not exactly sure.
But, these look and feel just like Calphalon. They are the Kirkland brand. The price was so good I bought the two pans.

Time will tell how good they are. But for $29.00, its a good deal anyway you look at it. Both have riveted handles and are oven safe.
Good point. I am a member of Costco and will have a look.

I was thinking of getting one at Loblaws or Maxi, one of the President's Choice Brand. But, I just remembered. I have bought a PC digital thermometer and a PC burr coffee grinder. I threw them both away. PC Brand is often good in food, but maybe not so good in kitchen stuff.

I need to come onto this thread once more to thank Taxy for giving us a link to the Julia Child omelet technique. It's so easy and good that I had to purchase an 8 inch non-stick pan today, something I swore I'd never purchase (non-stick pans). I've experimented with seasonings in the egg, and with toppings. They've all come out great.

Thanks TaxLady.:chef:

Huhhh? :huh:Why not? I can't imagine how someone who loves to cook as much as you do wasn't at least as curious about non stick pans as well as everything else having to do with cooking. Next thing ya know you'll be frying grated Parm. cheese to make lacy and tasty disks for salad toppings. ;)

I've had non-stick pans, a long time ago. That's why I swore them off. I hear they have improved a lot since the '70s. :LOL:

Huhhh? :huh:Why not? I can't imagine how someone who loves to cook as much as you do wasn't at least as curious about non stick pans as well as everything else having to do with cooking. Next thing ya know you'll be frying grated Parm. cheese to make lacy and tasty disks for salad toppings. ;)

Yeh, I'm like Taxi, had them back in the 70's, early 80's, and they were junk. I even boguth a set that was guaranteed to last forever (Diamond something or other), and they became junk as fast as any from Kmart, or WalMart did. My CI, on the other hand, are virtually non-stick, and last forever. They just don't have those beautifully rounded sides required for making a proper French omelet. I bough what looks like a good pan, from Gordon's Food Service, heavy aluminum with a non-stick coating for $19.

By the way, your post had me snickering at myself. Not a lot of people can do that. Be proud. You are special indeed.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Good point. I am a member of Costco and will have a look.

I was thinking of getting one at Loblaws or Maxi, one of the President's Choice Brand. But, I just remembered. I have bought a PC digital thermometer and a PC burr coffee grinder. I threw them both away. PC Brand is often good in food, but maybe not so good in kitchen stuff.
70% off the T Fal ones at Canadian Tire this week. The 12 incher is regular $50.00 is on for %14.99.

70% off the T Fal ones at Canadian Tire this week. The 12 incher is regular $50.00 is on for %14.99.
Thanks for the heads up.

Do I really want the 12 inch one? They also have the 10 inch one for $11.99 and the 8 inch one for $9.99. And, I can pay for it with "Canadian Tire Money On the Card". ;)

Which size is best for omelettes? I probably won't use it for anything else.

Keep in mind, that although non stick cookware has certainly come a long way since the 70's it's still not perfect, nor will it last forever. That's why I suggested using your new pan for omelets only. At least the coating doesn't peel off of it anymore! I have several however, and always keep a paper plate between them when stacking.

You want the 8" for omelets Taxi.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, that although non stick cookware has certainly come a long way since the 70's it's still not perfect, nor will it last forever. That's why I suggested using your new pan for omelets only. At least the coating doesn't peel off of it anymore! I have several however, and always keep a paper plate between them when stacking.

You want the 8" for omelets Taxi.

Sprout made me a pot rack when she was in high school. All my pots and pans go there.

Every parent should have a Sprout, and a P.A.G.:chef:

Woohoo! I got this 26 cm (~10 inch) T Fal non stick skillet today. T-fal 26cm Frying Pan

I would have gotten the 8" one, but I wasn't in the mood to hunt for it and this one looked about right. ;)

If it asks for a postal code, try H9G 1W7.

Thanks for the heads up Roch.

When an Exec Chef is hiring a new cook for the kitchen, one of the first things he asks them to make is an omelet. A lot of wannabe chefs do not get past the omelet or hired. So don't be discouraged. It does take practice. There is only one Jacques Pepin. :angel:
This made me smile. The family story goes that my Great Grandmother (housekeeper to a member of the minor aristocracy in the late 19th century, married the butler and the pair of them later ran large hotels) used to include a poached egg as part of the interview procedure for her cooks. However good they were at haute cuisine, if they failed the poached egg test they were out on their ear!

All this talk of omelettes made me make one for my supper tonight. A minute to cook, no flipping or broiling and a nice squishy eggy, cheesy middle. Yum.

Back
Top Bottom