Omelet problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched Laura Calder do this Souffleed Spinach Omelette on her TV show and ran to the kitchen to try it. Was great fun since it is polar opposite of how I do it normally. I loved the fluffy texture and it looked fantastic - and four eggs seemed to feed two of quite easily.

If you're looking to experiment, give that one a whirl.
This type of omelette makes a good pudding/dessert if you serve it with a little warmed jam as a sauce(and leave out the savoury stuff, of course)

Of course I can. You can always blame a new pan until you get used to it. ;)

It says to season it with oil. Does anyone know how I season a non-stick pan?

You do it with a paper towel, and a tsp. Place 1 tsp. of cooking oil into the cold pan, and spread it all over the pan with the paper towel. Done.

I just heat my pan enough to melt butter, and get it all bubbly, swirl it, then add the beaten egg. It's seasoned before I put the egg in. Many people don't know that you need a minute amount of fat to make non-stick work properly.

Also, I looked at restaurant quality aluminum pans when I purchase my new non-stick pan. The label said to season them as you would cast iron for best cooking results. I seem to remember a discussion a while back about such things.;)

The only true methods for cooking without fat are: poaching, boiling, steaming, grilling over fire, and maybe broiling. Anything where meat, or veggies are placed onto a cooking surface, require some fat to make things work, even when the fat is supplied by the cooking food.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Thanks Chief. I checked on the T Fal site and that's what they wrote. So, why didn't they just say wipe it with oil? As far as I'm concerned, that isn't seasoning.

I made two omelettes. They came out good. It worked just the way Julia Child said and showed it would.

The three egg omelette took a bit longer to cook enough than I expected. I think I'll stick to two egg omelettes. Stirling had said that he didn't want liquid pouring out when he cut it. He had had that several times with fancy chefs making them.

I used chives in the beaten eggs and put grated Gruyère on the eggs before starting to jerk the pan to roll up the omelette. I sprinkled with chopped parsley.

Thanks Chief. I checked on the T Fal site and that's what they wrote. So, why didn't they just say wipe it with oil? As far as I'm concerned, that isn't seasoning.

I made two omelettes. They came out good. It worked just the way Julia Child said and showed it would.

The three egg omelette took a bit longer to cook enough than I expected. I think I'll stick to two egg omelettes. Stirling had said that he didn't want liquid pouring out when he cut it. He had had that several times with fancy chefs making them.

I used chives in the beaten eggs and put grated Gruyère on the eggs before starting to jerk the pan to roll up the omelette. I sprinkled with chopped parsley.

Taxy, you have now joined the ranks of omelet all-stars. Nice job. This is you - :chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If I am awake enough, there will be omelette for breakfast. Or, at least an attempt at omelette. :ermm::LOL:

All omelettes can become scrambled eggs, but all scrambled eggs can not become an omelette.:ermm:

I've had non-stick pans, a long time ago. That's why I swore them off. I hear they have improved a lot since the '70s. :LOL:

They are better now. But like most are saying to just buy one for eggs. I have four non-stick pans. 2 Calphalon and the two new Kirland pans.
As they get older and not as efficient, I use them for other frying duties.

Keep in mind, that although non stick cookware has certainly come a long way since the 70's it's still not perfect, nor will it last forever. That's why I suggested using your new pan for omelets only. At least the coating doesn't peel off of it anymore! I have several however, and always keep a paper plate between them when stacking.
You want the 8" for omelets Taxi.

We also protect these pans when stacking. We have many pot holders and knitted kitchen stuff I have no idea as to what they are for.
So I just put one in between each pan when returning it to the shelf.

I use the 10" for omelets. Its all about the size of the omelet. Smaller pan, smaller omelet.
My Calphalon 8" anodized if perfectly clean, will work just as good as a non stick. But if you are not used to anodized AL, you might be disappointed at first until you learn how to use them.
You also need more oil or butter in the anodized.

They are better now. But like most are saying to just buy one for eggs. I have four non-stick pans. 2 Calphalon and the two new Kirland pans.
As they get older and not as efficient, I use them for other frying duties.

We also protect these pans when stacking. We have many pot holders and knitted kitchen stuff I have no idea as to what they are for.So I just put one in between each pan when returning it to the shelf.

I use the 10" for omelets. Its all about the size of the omelet. Smaller pan, smaller omelet.
My Calphalon 8" anodized if perfectly clean, will work just as good as a non stick. But if you are not used to anodized AL, you might be disappointed at first until you learn how to use them.
You also need more oil or butter in the anodized.

If they are square, they are practice squares for those who are just learning to knit or crochet and are told they are making dish clothes for washing dishes. :angel:

If they are square, they are practice squares for those who are just learning to knit or crochet and are told they are making dish clothes for washing dishes. :angel:

Thanks Addie. I am not even sure what the shapes are. But your explanation sure does sound right on.
I think some are shaped like a hand/glove? Not sure. I will pay more attention when I am in close contact with them this evening.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom