Omelet problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow I didn't know that it was considered such an advanced skill! Now I don't feel so bad :)

There are two types of omelets. The French style is where you roll it into a tube and onto the plate. They are slightly undercooked. The American style is where you flip the omelet and then fold over. We like our eggs cooked completely. The Exec Chef wants you to make the French Style. Very difficult.

The Pirate likes to show off and flip his American Style right in the pan. No spatula for him. He can also do the French Style. Sometimes I just 'hate' that child. He is not too old to put over my knee still. Is 50+ too old? He is such a showoff. He also can flip 'over easy' eggs without breaking the yolks. :angel:

An easier omlet is made by using a square, non-stick grill pan. Lightly butter or grease the pan, then wipe with a paper towel. Break 2 large eggs into a bowl with a splash of milk. Season with salt and pepper and whisk until the yolk, whites, and milk are evenly combined. Pour into the center of the pan, and swirl to coat the entire pan, right to the sides. Cook over medium heat until the top is set. This works because the egg is thin. Sprinkle on toppings, cheese first, again, all over the top. With a long, plastic spatula, fold one side 2/3's accross. Fold the other side the same way. Slide onto your plate.

This is an American style omelet. You can fill it with anything you want.

Classically, the round omlet is made in a saucier, typically, non-stick. Again, lightly lubricate the surface. Mix the egg in the same say, and pour into the pan. Swirl to coate teh entire pan bottom, and a touch up the sides. When the egg starts to cook, push it from the sides to the center, one time. This causes the uncooked egg to drain off the top, and onto the hot pan. Cover and let cook for about a minute. Remove the cover and the top should be set. Add toppings to one side. Slide omelet from the pan, onto the plate, using the pan to fold it in half. Place the pan lid over the plate and let sit for a minutes to let the residual heat melt the cheese.

The key to good omelets is to use a very slippery pan, and to get the top set without having to flip the omelet, and not to overcook the bottom. I've even been known to place the pan under the broiler for a moment, to set the top, if things weren't going well on the stove-top; but that's a rare thing, maybe did it once.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief:

Saucier and grill pans.

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 114
  • saucier.jpg
    saucier.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 194
Speaking of Jacques Pepin, a demonstration video is worth much more than a thousand words!;)

Jacques Pépin: How to Make an Omelet - Video - NYTimes.com

For a professional chef, making an omelet or souffle is considered a basic skill.
http://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/100000001116746/jacques-pepin-makes-an-omelet-.html

Loved watching this but don't think I'll ever be able to replicate his technique. So complicated! And I'm wondering how he can use a metal fork on his nonstick pan without wrecking it!

Is it best to add the spinach raw (and let it cook under the lid) or sautée it in advance?
I eat a lot of omelets and try to keep things on hand to use for fillings. One trick is to keep a bag of frozen spinach at the ready. It's already been blanched before freezing. As you're waiting for the pan to preheat, grab a handful of frozen spinach and nuke it for a few minutes. Then when you're ready for it, just pick it up, squeeze out the excess water (I use my hands), and add it to your omelet.

I eat a lot of omelets and try to keep things on hand to use for fillings. One trick is to keep a bag of frozen spinach at the ready. It's already been blanched before freezing. As you're waiting for the pan to preheat, grab a handful of frozen spinach and nuke it for a few minutes. Then when you're ready for it, just pick it up, squeeze out the excess water (I use my hands), and add it to your omelet.

Love that idea! How simple!

Those are the Calphalon pans I have. I've been using the 8 inch pan. Maybe I should try the 10 inch to make a single omelet?

Just remember, push the freshly cooked egg to the middle, let the runny egg flow off the top onto the pan, and butter the pan before adding the egg.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I enjoyed watching the Jacques Pepin video. Thanks Craig C.

I notice Pepin doesn't wash his hands between touching the raw eggs, fingering the butter, and eventually touching the cooked omelet.

I am curious to know if this bothers anyone?

I notice Pepin doesn't wash his hands between touching the raw eggs, fingering the butter, and eventually touching the cooked omelet.

Not me. Because it was filmed in his own home. Not in a studio. :angel:

If you watch him enough, you'll also notice he touches the food in the pan and tastes with his fingers.

It doesn't bother me. Keep in mind that he often prepares two or three dishes in a half hour episode. In order to fit everything in, I'm sure shortcuts must be made. I would certainly like to believe that in real life he's a little more careful.

I love the video of Julia Child making omelets. DW wouldn't eat them though. For her, I have to flip the omelet. She likes hers to cooked to the point where they dry and toughen. I like mine very moist. I'll definitely be trying Julia's technique. They aren't quite as uniformly pretty, but it looks so easy. And the end result is very tender and moist. That's why she was a :chef:.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom