Parmesan cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

budron

Assistant Cook
I like using fresh ingredients in cooking but never know how to store them. Bought a chunk of fresh parmesan. How long can I keep it in fridge? Can you freeze cheeses of any kind?

Parmigiano keeps well, if you wrap it tightly each time, it can easily be stored in the fridge for at least a month, though I am not sure if it can be done for any longer period, our chunks are usually gone by then. Sometimes when we find them on sale, we buy in larger amount, cut them in small cubes so they will fit better inside our cheese grinder, put it in a plastic bag and freeze them. True, the texture suffers a wee bit if you decide to be picky, and to snack on as it is, it is definetely better unfrozen. However it is more than sufficient for dressing your pasta and risotto.

I wrap mine in waxed paper (I'm old fashioned) somewhere I read it's good for the cheese to breath. Who really knows? Mine usually does not last long either. I also like to use the rind in chunks in my soups for extra flavor.

A Cheesemonger I met long ago told me that all cheese should be wrapped in fresh paper each time you use it, in order to preserve the freshness of whatever cheese it is.

For me, the issue with Parmigiano is that I use it so often, so I usually keep it in a zip-lock baggie, making sure to burp out all the air. When I get down close to the rind, I save that in another baggie to use in bean soup. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor. ;)

Many cheeses can be frozen, but I've never tried Parmigiano because it's so popular in our house. However, after you've frozen cheese, it usually becomes crumbly, so tho it would be fine for cooking, it's not probably something you'd want to include on a cheese tray.

I had heard the same thing about cheese being wrapped in wax paper so that it could breath, but I have found that when I do that the cheese molds much faster. I wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge. Parm will last a very very long time. It will probably just dry out before it even molds.

Maybe the best is to wrap in waxed paper and put in plastic bag - making sure to replace paper each time. Once i smelled the plastic wrap on my cheddar and realized it was important to change plastic for sure. My cheddar is around longer than my parmesan.

I have found the opposite from GB--wrapped in plastic makes the cheese mold/go slimey faster. Cheese wrapped in parchment and then put in plastic is good--doesn't dry out.
Parm is a very hard cheese and could be just put in plastic pretty well also.
I vacuum seal all my cheeses and keep in the fridge with no problem doing it that way so can really take advantage of the big chunks at Costco, etc.

Cheese does need to breathe and wrapping it in wax paper or foil, is usually the best way to avoid mold. Cheese wrapped tightly in plastic will mold faster. The wax paper method does allow the cheese to dry out faster, though.

From Formaggio Kitchen, one of the best authorities on cheese anywhere:

"Caring for Your Cheese
When you buy cheese in our store or on our site, we wrap it in a lined paper that we import from France that is designed for cheese. Ideally, we recommend using a clean wrap of this paper each time you open your cheese. However, in a pinch we've found that wax paper, butcher paper or aluminum foil, will work reasonably well. We choose not to store cheese in plastic wrap because we find that imparts an unpleasant chemical taste if left in contact with the cheese. Depending on the cheese and the condition of your refrigerator (humid or dry), you may want to overwrap the waxed paper with plastic wrap to avoid the plastic wrap contacting the cheese, while preserving moisture. If you must wrap in plastic wrap, be sure to clean the cut surface of the cheese by giving it a light scraping to remove the contacted area.

Store your cheese, tightly wrapped, in an area of higher humidity such as the meat or vegetable drawer and away from drafts. Most of the cheeses will keep for several days to several weeks if properly stored (aged, hard cheeses will last longer than fresh, soft ones). Any cheese will grow white, blue, yellow or black mold over time. These molds are natural and harmless to most except the severly immunocompromised. However these molds can add flavors of sharpness or bitterness so we recommend scraping the mold from the surface of the cheese. "

More resources on storing cheese

Just to make a distinction... I was told that deli-type paper... NOT WAXED paper... is the best for cheese. I was told that if the paper is waxed, it produces the same result as plastic bags.

Has anyone else been told this? I got this from cheese monger at a large cheese store in Munich.

Yeah that actually sounds familiar velochic. I think parchment paper is what I actually heard was the right thing to use.

I wish I knew why I do not have success with that method. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter cause my way works for me. Of course cheese in my house rarely sits around long enough to mold no matter what.

GB it's the same for us, we use plastic wrap too, and it works well as long as we change the sheet often and wrap it tight. But then again, like I said before our cheese doesn't last that long!!:-p

Okay parchment is on my list now. I guess I like the price of waxed paper, and it's easier to tear. I wish parchment came like those sheets of foil - love those!

I think I was probably a mouse in a former life, because I cannot resist a piece of cheese. Ever!!
We buy lots of Parmigiano reggiano because (a) Venezuelans eat loads and loads of pasta and (b) my family has Italian roots.
Most times, half a kilo of Parmigiano will last about 10 days. No problem to keep it in the fridge and change the wrapping from time to time. However, we sometimes buy a kilo, or TWO kilos, especially when we're travelling. We dump it in the freezer, and use it to grate on pasta. Do not put it in the freezer if you wish to appreciate the finer qualities of the cheese; the unique sharpness, the rich creamy flavour, the slightly grainy texture. Try drizzling a little Balsamic vinegar on it before eating. Mmmmm!

Parmesan does freeze ok..not brilliant, but satisfactory certainly. Its so very cheap for me to buy it in Italy and my Italian husband always cuts it into chunks the size we might grate for a risotto or pasta and wraps it then freezes. I checked when I first got to Italy with the cheese counter at the supermarket, and they looked at me like I was mad and assured me this was common practise for parmesan not being served as a very special meal here!

I found this in another food site and have copied it below:

How to keep Parmigiano Reggiano fresh
by Rob Gavel

Tightly wrap your wedge of Parmigiano in foil and store it in a dry section of your refrigerator's vegetable crisper. It will keep its best flavor for about a month. If the cheese dries out during storage, wrap it in a moist paper towel and then in foil for a day before rewrapping just in foil. Freezing isn't recommended.
</SPAN>

From Fine Cooking #53

Barbara said:
I have been wanting a vacuum seal - you give me a good reason to get one. Any tips on which one to buy?

As GB says, the Tilia is the FoodSaver brand and I think the one to get. I have had 3 now. They are readily available for big discounts in lots of places.
My first one-many years ago--was the very basic one. Just drew the vacuum and worked very well (until it didn't!! I think it might be reclaimable). THe next one was one with all the bells and whistles that allow you to seal in canisters at not a full vacuum (saves strawberries, lettuce, etc.). That one really never worked particularly well for me--particularly the canister seals. It finally just stopped.
I have gone back to the plain pipe rack--vacuum and seal. It was $50 on Amazon and it does everything I need it to. If I really want to marinate something quickly I can pull a vacuum with this one. But I have saved enough on sealing cheese alone to pay for every one of these. I would NEVER be without one.
Tuesday Morning often has them. Amazon has the full array. I bought one on QVC. WalMart carries the bags. Costco and Sam's has them but there are better prices elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom