Parmigiano Reggiano is NOT Parmesan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are right, our ALDI here has started carrying some more 'exotic' cheeses in the cooler, but so far no parm, bummer.
They do have a fair selection of softer cheeses as well as some good hard block cheeses now. I will check again next time I am there. Wife likes to pick up the crumbled Gorgonzola or Blue Cheese, I like the soft cheese wheel (forget which cheese it was) with mushroom or the monteray jack with leeks.

Have you asked them to get it? That often works. Especially if a few people ask, and you never know who else might have..... :angel:

We went there after my Dr. appointment today for some bread and milk, and remembering this thread I checked.
They are now carrying shredded Parmesan, Reggiano, and Asiago. They also had Havarti and one other soft creamy cheese from France as well.

Maverick - I am sort of familiar with Chicago, but not Cicero ...

Cicero is one of the western suburbs. I know because my brother and SIL live in Oak Park - I can hear the disembodied voice on the train now: "The next stop is Cicero. Doors open on the left in Cicero." :ROFLMAO:

We went there after my Dr. appointment today for some bread and milk, and remembering this thread I checked.
They are now carrying shredded Parmesan, Reggiano, and Asiago. They also had Havarti and one other soft creamy cheese from France as well.

Pre-shredded cheese is usually not a good choice. It dries out and loses its taste that way. Also, Reggiano is not a cheese, it's a location. You might have meant Pecorino Romano.

Cicero is one of the western suburbs. I know because my brother and SIL live in Oak Park - I can hear the disembodied voice on the train now: "The next stop is Cicero. Doors open on the left in Cicero." :ROFLMAO:

LOL, commuted downtown for many years and I still have that voice ringing in my ears! Cicero is Near West Side, bordering Chicago and about 7 miles from downtown.
My wife has a lot of clients in OP, and we like to go on dates there as they have a lot of cool shops and restaurants all in walking distance of each other.
But, the property taxes.... :ohmy:

There's nothing inheritantly wrong with the "green tube". Granted, it's definitely not even remotely the same as fresh, but it certainly isn't "sawdust". (That's a rather snobby reference, by the way, in my opinion.) We frequently have a canister of it in the fridge for impromptu sprinkling on soups, salads, pizza. It's fine.

I think it is silly to argue about taste. Even if something taste horrible but person used to eat it and likes it, no matter what you say person is going to like it. And as far as the original post goes, eah the sky is blue and the grass is green, duh.

Pre-shredded cheese is usually not a good choice. It dries out and loses its taste that way. Also, Reggiano is not a cheese, it's a location. You might have meant Pecorino Romano.

It might have said shredded Romano.. I should have written them down but wasn't planning this it, LOL.

The tubs they are in don't have that much in them, maybe about what I would use in one recipe for my family of 5, so for me they wouldn't have time to dry out once I opened it.

But yea not the best choice, but to be a choice they would have to offer it in block for as well not just shredded. Shredded is better than none at all.

As for the talk about the green tube and sawdust, I don't recall ever saying it was sawdust or unacceptable. I do recall saying I had it in my fridge, so yes I do buy it and use it. I also said given a choice I would go with the better cheeses, I think they are far more flavorful and much tastier. I am not poo pooing anyones taste or putting them down, I am referring to my own tastes and what I like, my own choices and why I make them.
I think it is silly to take offense at someone else's personal preferences, but that is only my opinion as well. Maybe calling it sawdust is harsh, but if that is what it tastes like to someone else, well then that is just what it tastes like to someone else.
Kinda the whole point of discussions I think...

The tubs they are in don't have that much in them, maybe about what I would use in one recipe for my family of 5, so for me they wouldn't have time to dry out once I opened it.

But yea not the best choice, but to be a choice they would have to offer it in block for as well not just shredded. Shredded is better than none at all....

It starts to dry out the minute it's shredded at the factory and continues to degrade even before you open it.

But it is better than nothing.

I still have a very hard time understanding why you can't find hunks of cheese at Dominicks or Jewel. My parents have lived in Chicagoland for many years and I have seen it in nearly every supermarket I've shopped at.

Or you could drive up to Caputo's cheese shop in Melrose Park.

It starts to dry out the minute it's shredded at the factory and continues to degrade even before you open it.

But it is better than nothing.

I still have a very hard time understanding why you can't find hunks of cheese at Dominicks or Jewel. My parents have lived in Chicagoland for many years and I have seen it in nearly every supermarket I've shopped at.

Or you could drive up to Caputo's cheese shop in Melrose Park.

Oh, I didn't say I couldn't find them, I said I couldn't afford them! I have $150 a week budget for a family of five. $10 for a half pound or even pound of cheese does not fit...

You are right, our ALDI here has started carrying some more 'exotic' cheeses in the cooler, but so far no parm, bummer..

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood.

Have you been to Little Italy? Often PR is cheaper in Italian markets. Also, they may be more likely to carry Grana Padano, a cheaper but tasty alternative.

Just a little information about an Italian ingredient!
I know that it can sound silly, but I've read a lot of posts here, and noticed that there's a missunderstood between Parmigiano reggiano cheese and Parmesan.
They are NOT the same thing! AT ALL!

Except that they are.

"The European Court of Justice ruled yesterday that only the tasty, crumbly cheese that has been made for some 800 years near the Italian city of Parma
can legally be called Parmesan....
In a case dating back to 2003, the court criticized Germany for allowing sales of imitation Parmesan in violation of European Union food-origin rules that reserve the name Parmesan for Italian cheese only....

Germany argued in court that Parmesan was a generic term for a type of hard, crumbly cheese that is often grated over food and cannot claim an Italian uniqueness.

The court disagreed, saying Parmesan was "clearly a translation of 'Parmigiano Reggiano.' "

EU ruling grating to Germans - The Boston Globe
"

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood.

Have you been to Little Italy? Often PR is cheaper in Italian markets. Also, they may be more likely to carry Grana Padano, a cheaper but tasty alternative.

I have been known to have all three in my fridge at the same time. imho, the textures are similar, but the flavors are decidedly unique to each. :)

OK. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Why my green tube cheese wasn't any good compared to the real thing. So I scoured the specialty cheese section of my store. The only thing that came close to parmigiano reggiano is something called reggianito on the cheese's label and reggianito parmesan on the stores tag, which also said $9.99/lb :ohmy: I bought a half pound to try out.
Is this cheese the same as the parmigiano reggiano? or at least very close?

I have no problem finding PR by the block here in our part of Mexico, and it is slightly less expensive than in the states. I remember buying a big chunk at Costco once, and the checker stopped and asked me "Are you REALLY paying $18.50 for a piece of cheese?" Yup. It lasts a long time.....

Thanks for the info.
I wonder why that site sells small amounts of the stuff I already have, .5 lbs, but the smallest parmigiano reggiano is 10 lbs? Can you buy small amounts of the real deal in grocery stores? Maybe that's why I couldn't find any at my store. I certainly don't need to be spending $270 on 10 lbs of cheese....

Thanks for the info.
I wonder why that site sells small amounts of the stuff I already have, .5 lbs, but the smallest parmigiano reggiano is 10 lbs? Can you buy small amounts of the real deal in grocery stores? Maybe that's why I couldn't find any at my store. I certainly don't need to be spending $270 on 10 lbs of cheese....
and you surely don't need to! If you go to Salumeria Italiana and click on "Cheese" on the left hand side of the home page, you will get to where you can order it -- top quality in great shape -- for $16.50 per pound. I mention the quality, because I notice in lots of places when the price is much lower, the cheese is often old, as evidenced by discoloring around the rind and excessive crumbling.

Thanks, ChefJune.
It would be interesting to compare the Argentinian cheese I bought with the Italian PR. I'll have to go through this website more thoroughly and see if it would be worth it to order other items to cover the 2-day air cost.

Back
Top Bottom