"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2013, 04:20 AM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Try this before you spend the money to make a batch.

I have yet to taste it on an English muffin, toast, or any other bread product. As soon as that cap comes off, the spoon goes in and stays there until the jar is empty. Same thing with the English Cheddar jar. Definitely going on my next shopping list. Although the English Cheddar does make it to a grilled cheese sometimes.

My grocery store sells the ends of their cold cuts and cheeses. Sometimes, there is a quality imported cheese ends available. But I still would rather have that jar of pimento cheese.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
You could even melt that down and add fresh pimento cheese. Leave in the mayo to thin the sauce. Add some cooked broccoli and noodles or serve with onion rice

Onion Rice is just white rice cooked in onion soup mix:

2C white rice
4C water
1 pkg. Onion Soup Mix

Simmer 15 minutes, fluff, another 15 minutes, fluff and leave uncovered.
Fills 3 quart baggies.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
You could even melt that down and add fresh pimento cheese. Leave in the mayo to thin the sauce. Add some cooked broccoli and noodles or serve with onion rice

Onion Rice is just white rice cooked in onion soup mix:

2C white rice
4C water
1 pkg. Onion Soup Mix

Simmer 15 minutes, fluff, another 15 minutes, fluff and leave uncovered.
Fills 3 quart baggies.
I have never been rice impaired. I can easily understand why some are though. And I always thought that the rice in a bag was great for those that are. So I always just made rice when it was called for. It never occurred to me to make it ahead of time and freeze it. I do flavor it, when I make it. Just stir in a cup of frozen petite peas and I will be happy. But I will have to freeze it in smaller quantities. If I use my bags for my food saver, they are boilable bags. Thanks.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #84
Sous Chef
 
GA Home Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cartersville, GA
Posts: 767
Wow this brings back memories. For 25 years I've been going on mini golf trips with my friends, some of which are no longer with us. One place we stop is in South Georgia, a public state ran course, has a quaint snack bar. The lady who ran it retired a few year back in her late 70's. She made the best, but weird, pimento cheese sandwich. Of course it was white bread, pimento cheese and a round ring of pinapple from the can. Man was it good. I can't remember the dear lady's name, but thanks for the memories.
GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #85
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,555
It is also good mixed into a baked potato for a quick version of twice baked potatoes.

The high amount of fat makes this a great way to freeze a couple of extra baked potatoes. Scoop out the potato, mix in a good amount of pimento cheese, pile the mixture back into the shells, wrap and freeze. I thaw them overnight in the refrigerator, then bake until hot and bubbly.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,282
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have never been rice impaired. I can easily understand why some are though. And I always thought that the rice in a bag was great for those that are. So I always just made rice when it was called for. It never occurred to me to make it ahead of time and freeze it. I do flavor it, when I make it. Just stir in a cup of frozen petite peas and I will be happy. But I will have to freeze it in smaller quantities. If I use my bags for my food saver, they are boilable bags. Thanks.
I only use brown rice, so it takes close to an hour to cook it if I'm not using brown basmati.

I started freezing it in the '80s. I would freeze single servings in wax paper and put all the little packets in a plastic bag and then into the freezer. Then when in a hurry, I would empty as many servings as I needed into a colander and steam them for a couple of minutes. I didn't realize I could just nuke them. They came out perfect.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
It is also good mixed into a baked potato for a quick version of twice baked potatoes.

The high amount of fat makes this a great way to freeze a couple of extra baked potatoes. Scoop out the potato, mix in a good amount of pimento cheese, pile the mixture back into the shells, wrap and freeze. I thaw them overnight in the refrigerator, then bake until hot and bubbly.
I have always made 2x baked potatoes and mixed them with various other ingredients. Sour cream, chives and cheese. But just plain American cheese. If only I had thought of the pimento. My mouth is absolutely watering.

Note to self: 2x potatoes with cheese and rice for the freezer.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #88
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have always made 2x baked potatoes and mixed them with various other ingredients. Sour cream, chives and cheese. But just plain American cheese. If only I had thought of the pimento. My mouth is absolutely watering.

Note to self: 2x potatoes with cheese and rice for the freezer.
Addie,

I have never used the commercial pimento cheese for this only the homemade. You might need to melt the Kraft cheese in the microwave and thin it with some milk or sour cream.

B
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Addie,

I have never used the commercial pimento cheese for this only the homemade. You might need to melt the Kraft cheese in the microwave and thin it with some milk or sour cream.

B
Thank you. I will keep that in mind. Every little bit of info is a big help.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
I just made and tried my latest batch of Pimento Cheese, this time adding Pepper Jack to the mix. Yummmmmmmy.

This batch has extra sharp cheddar, pepper jack, bleu cheese crumbles and parm with diced pimentos and mayo.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,758
Yumm, your latest version sounds divine Z! I think I'll make a batch for Christmas Eve.
By the way, it presents nicely for company if you press it into a small bowl, and flip it out onto a pretty plate. Garnish with parsley.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
This does sound wonderful, Z!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 10,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I just made and tried my latest batch of Pimento Cheese, this time adding Pepper Jack to the mix. Yummmmmmmy.

This batch has extra sharp cheddar, pepper jack, bleu cheese crumbles and parm with diced pimentos and mayo.
Oh, this DOES sound good! I haven't had pimento cheese in years - I think I'll make some of this for New Years Day.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #94
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,555
I was putting together my shopping list and was all set to replenish my salad fixins.

I did a quick check of the vegetable crisper and found celery, carrots and a cucumber that need to be used up, I decided I better go with finger salads for the rest of the week.

What better way to use up a bunch of crisp, healthy, low calorie vegetables than a batch of pimento cheese for dipping and smearing!

The vegetables have been prepped and are crisping in ice water, the cheese spread is chilling, can't wait for lunch!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #95
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,709
Last year I finally was able to find a couple pimento pepper plants. By fall I'd harvested enough to peel dice seed them, and freeze them for future use, I saved some to dehydrate and grind to make paprika, and saved the seeds for future plantings. (I'm in WI and in the north, pimento cheese is not as easily found as in the southern states.)

I started the pimento seeds this February and planted a patch of them last week outside. I have another dozen pimento pepper plants left over if anyone is interested in them.

Pimento cheese on celery is low carb, crunchy, delicious! Hail to pimento cheese.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #96
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
Wow this brings back memories. For 25 years I've been going on mini golf trips with my friends, some of which are no longer with us. One place we stop is in South Georgia, a public state ran course, has a quaint snack bar. The lady who ran it retired a few year back in her late 70's. She made the best, but weird, pimento cheese sandwich. Of course it was white bread, pimento cheese and a round ring of pinapple from the can. Man was it good. I can't remember the dear lady's name, but thanks for the memories.
That's a new one on me! Sounds terrific. Thanks for idea.
__________________
Food fuels the body. Good food fuels body and soul.

"Recipes donít have to be followed EXACTLY and creative diversions can taste great! But too much diversion and you have ice cream in your broccoli." Mike Israetel
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #97
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,709
All the pimento peppers are harvested for the year, so it is Pimento Cheese celebration at my house.
I roasted up 3 of them, they are a lovely red, with a nice thick flesh, peeled, seeded, diced.
I'm making up a plain cheese spread along with a big container of Pimento cheese. Yum.
Grill Cheese sandwiches, an addition to any cold meat sandwich, melted in a bowl to eat with tortillas. I love this time of year. Two carb eaters in the house, and I'll have some on the celery we grew this summer, fresh out of the garden.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:42 PM   #98
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
All the pimento peppers are harvested for the year, so it is Pimento Cheese celebration at my house.
I roasted up 3 of them, they are a lovely red, with a nice thick flesh, peeled, seeded, diced.
I'm making up a plain cheese spread along with a big container of Pimento cheese. Yum.
Grill Cheese sandwiches, an addition to any cold meat sandwich, melted in a bowl to eat with tortillas. I love this time of year. Two carb eaters in the house, and I'll have some on the celery we grew this summer, fresh out of the garden.
Sounds wonderful
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
Heading over to Blissful's for pimento cheese.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:10 PM   #100
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Heading over to Blissful's for pimento cheese.
Oh Dawg, I'll share with you anytime! I ended up with 5 - 1 lb containers of the regular cheese spread, and 2 - 1 lb containers of the pimento cheese. Stuck the majority into the freezer and two containers to enjoy in the fridge. Let yourself in and we'll enjoy some broiled pimento cheese over french bread slices, and a little wine.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheese

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.