Raw Egg in Tiramisu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomgreg2002

Assistant Cook
Hello folks. I am thinking about making some Tiramisu for my girlfriend but I am a bit worried about using raw eggs. Should I be? I have heard
it is better when eggs are used and I want to be a purist, but I don't
want to give her salmonella. Any thoughts..?

Your chances of getting salmonella from raw eggs are something in the neighborhood of 1 in 20,000! That means that, as an average egg consumer, you MIGHT encouter an egg with salmonella bacteria once in 84 years.

Your chances of getting salmonella from raw eggs are something in the neighborhood of 1 in 20,000! That means that, as an average egg consumer, you MIGHT encouter an egg with salmonella bacteria once in 84 years.

...or tomorrow.

Yep - I buy pasteurized eggs too. I make a lot of Caesar salad dressing and such and it's not the 20,000th egg that's the problem - it's the ONE in 20,000 that you have no clue when it will come.

Try asking anyone who has gotten salmonella from a raw egg if that statistic means anything to them :LOL:

Try asking anyone who has gotten salmonella from a raw egg if that statistic means anything to them :LOL:

I would love to, except I have never known anyone who got salmonella from eating raw egg. I have never even HEARD of a CONFIRMED incident of anyone getting salmonella from eating raw egg.
img_496908_0_25aa0e726503dc3d682306c97a566b5a.gif

Come to think of it, the only Sal Manella I have ever been acquainted with was a thrid baseman for the 1976 Mets. :-p

Last edited:
Here ya go Caine.

Oh, for crying out loud! That's in the UK. They have mad cow disease there too. Is everyone, all over the world, supposed to stop eating beef because of it?

BTW, if you read the article, they said the reduction in salmonella cases was from inoculating the chickens, not cooking the eggs.

I did read the article. I was responding to you saying you had never heard of a confirmed incident of anyone getting salmonella from egg. That article clearly shows it happens and thus you have now heard of it.

What does the fact that the article is in the UK or they have mad cow disease there have anything at all to do with the fact that people can get salmonella from uncooked eggs? I don't care if the article came from Timbuktu. That does not change the fact that you can get very sick from eating raw egg.

I did read the article. I was responding to you saying you had never heard of a confirmed incident of anyone getting salmonella from egg. That article clearly shows it happens and thus you have now heard of it.

What does the fact that the article is in the UK or they have mad cow disease there have anything at all to do with the fact that people can get salmonella from uncooked eggs? I don't care if the article came from Timbuktu. That does not change the fact that you can get very sick from eating raw egg.

I just read both articles, and neither article confirms any incidence of salmonella being contracted by anybody from eating raw egg.

From the Brit article: We believe we are seeing a real success story here. There has been a sustained drop in human Salmonella cases since 1997. We believe that this reflects a corresponding fall in the levels of Salmonella in eggs. We now need independent scientific confirmation that the prevalence of Salmonella in eggs has indeed reduced.

From the Aussie article: Five elderly Victorians died and several others became ill after a salmonella outbreak at the Broughton Hall nursing home in Camberwell over Easter. The source of that bug remains unknown, although department officials believe it almost certainly came from food prepared in the home's kitchen. Ms Lester said there was no evidence that eggs produced in Victoria were unsafe.

Well Caine, you can think what you want. I just know that I will continue to practice what are known to be safe food handling and preparing methods. I don't if one in 20,000 eggs are bad. Like KE said, I do not want to be that one. That is enough for me. If you want to roll the dice with your own life then feel free to do so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom