Ricotta Cheesecake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bethzaring said:
Hi Lucia,

I sure am tempted to make a couple batches of quick ricotta to try the recipes listed above.

I must have missed the ricotta recipe, for the cheese itself. Is it on this thread?

Right now I am unexpectedly supplying a neighbor with milk and that is cutting into my milk supply for quick cheeses

I used to make cheese all the time, but you have to know a farmer that will sell you milk, as the milks we have around here are all homogenized. People don't seem to know that now-a-days, they think it has something to do with pasteurization. The homogenization process changes the make up of the fat globules. While making milk look whiter, it also makes it less healthy as it renders the fat molecules more assimilable by the body, and gives them almost direct access to the blood stream, great for cholesterol and the member of the collage of medicine, not for the population in general however or making cheese for that matter.

If you have large pots for making large batches of food and you have one 12 qt that will fit in a 16 qt to use as a double boiler type of thing, as well as a temperature controlled area such as a cold room 12° C (55° F), cheese cloth, paraffin wax, and, I don’t quite remember, but I think it’s 3 to 6 months of time on your hands, mozzarella is quite easy to make.

Hi Bri,

That is an interesting way to make mozz cheese. All the ways I have used make in "instant" cheese. I use a set up like you describe, a double boiler system with large pots. I only make soft, fresh cheeses because I do not have the proper conditons for aging cheeses. And, no, I have not posted any ricotta cheese recipes. The main ones I use are copyrighted. But a quick one is to heat the milk to 205 degrees F and throw in some vinegar, a brutal thing to do to milk, but that instantly curdles it.

Goats milk is naturally homogenized, It is my understanding that goats milk lacks an enzyme that makes the fat clump together and rise to the top. I do not know how store bought milk is homogenized, is it a mechanical method, chemical method? I live in Ohio and it is illegal to sell raw milk in this state. I do not pasteurize my milk.

Hey. Licia, I was thinking about an outrageous pastry I made a few years ago, called infasciadedde. I apparently did not handle the pastry correctly because I was not able to put the dessert together like the directions instructed, but I was in heaven with my results. Do you know anything about infasciadedde?

Hi urmaniac13:

In your recipe there is an ingredient named "marsala" I would understand that I don't know what it is, but my wife doesn't know either. :rolleyes: Could you fill me in on what this ingredient is please.

Thanks
Bri

Hi bethzaring:

Well I didn't send you my exact recipe but it is something like that. What you do I call "queso blanco"

bethzaring said:
Goats milk is naturally homogenized, It is my understanding that goats milk lacks an enzyme that makes the fat clump together and rise to the top. I do not know how store bought milk is homogenized, is it a mechanical method, chemical method? I live in Ohio and it is illegal to sell raw milk in this state. I do not pasteurize my milk.

That goats milk has smaller fat globules does not make it homogenized (were talking semantics here) although it is homogenous (it doesn't seperate. It's just that homogenizing is a process. I don't believe that they use chemicals in the process though, I think it is just whipped to the point that the fats are broken down to be more easily incorporated into the normal milk molecules.

Too bad about the ricotta thing, but when I get interested enough I'll find a recipe.

Take care and have fun cooking...

Last edited:
bethzaring said:
Hey Bri, Thanks for the homogenized/homogenous clarification, appreciate the info.......

I have been playing with this stuff, studying this stuff and using this stuff always in my little corner of the world for soooooo long that it’s a real pleasure to share it with people who care about it. Thanks for your acknowledgement.

Take care,

Last edited:
bethzaring said:
Hi Bri,

That is an interesting way to make mozz cheese. All the ways I have used make in "instant" cheese. I use a set up like you describe, a double boiler system with large pots. I only make soft, fresh cheeses because I do not have the proper conditons for aging cheeses. And, no, I have not posted any ricotta cheese recipes. The main ones I use are copyrighted. But a quick one is to heat the milk to 205 degrees F and throw in some vinegar, a brutal thing to do to milk, but that instantly curdles it.

Bri said:
If you have large pots for making large batches of food and you have one 12 qt that will fit in a 16 qt to use as a double boiler type of thing, as well as a temperature controlled area such as a cold room 12° C (55° F), cheese cloth, paraffin wax, and, I don’t quite remember, but I think it’s 3 to 6 months of time on your hands, mozzarella is quite easy to make.

Ooooooops! you cought my error. Sorry about that. I pulled out my cheese recipes, that I haven't made for a few years now, and your are absolutly correct, it is a unique way to make mozz cheese, especially due to the fact that I was mixing up my mozzarella recipe with my gouda cheese recipe. Sorry, I stand corrected. Rightfully so.

Ciao

Here is a recipe I posted awhile back.

Strawberry Ricotta Souffle

Softened butter or margarine, for soufflé dish
Granulated sugar, for soufflé dish
1 container (15 or 16 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
1/3 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs, divided
3 tablespoons unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
Powdered sugar, for garnish
Amaretto strawberries

Generously butter an 8-inch soufflé dish; coat with sugar, shaking out excess. Set aside. Heat oven to 375 degrees. In mixer bowl, beat cheese, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 3 of the eggs and 1 egg yolk, crumbs, flour and extract to blend thoroughly.

With clean beaters, in small bowl beat the remaining egg white until stiff but not dry; gently fold into cheese mixture. Pour into prepared dish. Bake in center of oven 40 to 45 minutes until lightly browned and edges begin to pull away from side of dish.

Cool on rack about 3 minutes until soufflé begins to fall. Loosen edges with knife and invert onto serving plate with wide rim; sprinkle with almonds and dust with powdered sugar. Surround with Amaretto Strawberries. Serve warm, cut into wedges. Top each serving with amaretto Strawberries. Makes 8 Servings

AMARETTO STRAWBERRIES:
In bowl combine 2 pint baskets stemmed and sliced strawberries; 1/3 cup amaretto (almond-flavored liqueur) and 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Toss to dissolve sugar, cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours. Note: If desired, 1/2-teaspoon almond extract can be substituted for the amaretto.

Right, thanks mish. I see so many good looking recipes around here that sometimes I forget my manners. Great looking recipe Mish

You are very welcome, Beth & Bri :) Not to worry Bri, I've repeated myself on more than one occasion. :LOL:

Last edited:
bethzaring said:
Hey. Licia, I was thinking about an outrageous pastry I made a few years ago, called infasciadedde. I apparently did not handle the pastry correctly because I was not able to put the dessert together like the directions instructed, but I was in heaven with my results. Do you know anything about infasciadedde?

Hi Beth!! Sorry for my late reply.. I wasn't around yesterday... unfortunately I never heard of "infasciadedde", I tried a little search. Guessing from the name I imagined it maybe something originated from Sardinia but curiously it didn't find any info from Italian sites. There were some recipes from English sites, like this one . Is this similar to what you have made? They were said to be originated from Sicily, maybe Vicki knows something about it? Also the lack of find from my search may be due to the spelling variation, or maybe the original name in Sicily is totally different. (for example, what is commonly known in English speaking world as "Biscotti" is actually called "Cantuccini", a Toscan specialty... Biscotti in Italian means any kind of biscuits/cookies)
Can you describe the infasciadedde you made a little more in detail? Then I can expand my search!!

And Bri, Marsala is indeed a type of wine from Sicily, as Vicki said. It has a distinctive flavour of its own, a little like sherry (a little like, not exactly the same though). Here is a bit of info on Marsala..
http://www.regalis.com/sicilian/wine.htm

Good Morning friends!!!
Beth- my family makes a casadedde(sp) which is like a fried turnover with a filling of ricotta, sugar and citron or chocolate bits- (depending on which aunt makes them!!)My father's family is infamous for making up their own words in sicilian too!!! I am still looking for a recipe for saviatta cookies which are also called shavolette(sp) and all I keep finding is savadori which is NOT the same thing at all. ANYHOW!!!! IF you would likethe recipe I have for casadedde I would be more than happy to dig it out for you! Love and energy, Vicki

Hi Licia,

The infasciadedde recipe that you found is the exact one I found and used, it is supposed to be Sicilian. A friend had raised 3 pigs for several families, and I was the only one who wanted the lard, so I ended up with 26 pounds of the stuff and was desperate to find recipes to use some of it. It was about Christmas time and I made these for special cookies.

Well, yesterday I made the Chocolate Ricotta Pie recipe that was posted earlier on this thread. I was torn as to which recipe to try first. In a few minutes I will cut into it and have a slice for breakfast!!!

Better go.......
Beth

I hope you enjoyed your chocolate ricotta pie Beth.Christmas is when my aunts always make casadedde and s'finge and fig cookies as well as s&o's cookies- they don't have a name for them so my siblings anad cousins names them s&o cookies because that is the shape they form the cookies in!!

bethzaring said:
Hi Licia,

The infasciadedde recipe that you found is the exact one I found and used, it is supposed to be Sicilian. A friend had raised 3 pigs for several families, and I was the only one who wanted the lard, so I ended up with 26 pounds of the stuff and was desperate to find recipes to use some of it. It was about Christmas time and I made these for special cookies.

Well, yesterday I made the Chocolate Ricotta Pie recipe that was posted earlier on this thread. I was torn as to which recipe to try first. In a few minutes I will cut into it and have a slice for breakfast!!!

Better go.......
Beth

Wow yey, do I get any prize for the correct guess? Maybe a batch of infasciadedde?:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Indeed, lard gives a distinctive wonderful flavour to many desserts, like the pastiera I mentioned earlier... it gets such a bad reputation as a high cholesterol bomb, but at the end of the day, some of the chemical additives we consciously or unconsciously consume can be much worse for our health, and hey, we only live once so we are entitled to enjoy some truly delicious treats now and then as long as it is consumed in moderation...:-p

How was the Chocolate ricotta pie?

btw...casadedde, infasciadedde, they are so Sardinian sounding!! Also looking at the recipe for infasciadedde I remember tasting lovely sweets made in very similar way in Sardinia, with lots of honey and almonds. I guess the climates are quite alike in Sardinia and Sicily, also their culture and local dialects have influence of moors from north aftrica, thus there must be lots of similarities. Very curisous...I must look into their histories some more...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom