Soft-boiled Eggs In Microwave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
59 messages, and it took to #57 message before there is any mention of microwave oven power level / setting.

sorry to be such a prig, but you folks be not all too well informed / educated / experienced about microwave ovens.

having spent way way too much time "on the road" living in extended stay / et. al. type facilities that have a kitchen consisting of a fridge, microwave and a sink - I can cook an egg poached to soft boiled to hard boiled to scrambled in any microwave of your choice given a couple days to experiment and take notes.

the "water in the cup with the egg" does one thing - it "moderates" the temperature achieved by the microwave oven. there's a setting - putting the power setting on half/ 50% does the same thing as adding a bunch of water in a cup.

if an egg "explodes" in the microwave it is simply because the water in the egg "suddenly and instantaneously" reaches the boiling point, turning to steam, steam which has a multi-thousand time volumetric existence - thus "exploding" all over the inside of the microwave.

having done more than a few eggs on the road in the microwave, I have never exploded an egg. then again, I know about the power level settings thing....
Wow, you could just have mentioned that a lower power setting works for you and maybe included the education info.

I think most of the people here are aware of the power variations in microwave ovens. At least one person has said that it took more than one try to get it right.

What does, "...multi-thousand time volumetric existence.." mean?

Don’t you just love when some know-it-all comes and educates you about power setting of the microwave, because really none of us really knew before that such thing even exist.

How about just simply telling people your way of doing it in details instead of being rude?

Can somebody please post the pictures of what you end up with? Maybe what I had was all I could get from the egg. :(

Charlie, try two things. I realize that three eggs can be a breakfast for someone, or a cake that will not get baked. It is hard to see food wasted.

Poke a hole with a fine pointed needle in the yolk. The yolk has a film over it to keep it separate from the white. The yolk will not leak out.

Also try covering the egg not more than an inch with tap water. Try cooking one egg at a time. The energy goes into cooking the egg instead of boiling the water.

The first time I did it, it came out perfect. The second time I did two eggs at a time in a bowl instead of a cup. Not that great, but edible. The third time, two eggs and way too much water. A disaster. And I didn't prick the yolk. Lesson learned. Good luck and don't give up. Keep a record of your failures so you don't repeat them and you will figure it out. It will work for you. :angel:

Thanks Addie. I still hope somebody would post a picture here.

The only thing I did not do was pocking the yolk.

Charlie, I doubt anyone took pictures when they did this. Maybe someone will post a picture the next time they do this.

The video posted showed what the final product looked like. I haven't tried it yet but I think I would let mine go a little longer than one minute since I want my whites completely cooked. But of course, I will have to check the power level of my microwave.

I drew this on one of my iPad drawing apps (with my finger) and apologize for the crudeness, but my egg

image-4235692900.jpg

turned out fine too. The white sort of wrapped all the way around the yolk, and the yolk was nice and runny.

Not a picture, but hey, I tried!

Last edited:
I drew this on one of my iPad drawing apps (with my finger) and apologize for the crudeness, but my egg

View attachment 19800

turned out fine too. The white sort of wrapped all the way around the yolk, and the yolk was nice and runny.

Not a picture, but hey, I tried!

That's cute! After reading all this I had to try it. I let it go for 1:20....a little too long. I would have taken a picture for Charlie, but it would have been a picture of what not to do. It was too close to hard boiled for me, but tasted good. I used a pyrex measuring cup and it was interesting to watch it form while cooking. Hey, I don't get out much! LOL I will try it again tomorrow morning for breakfast, for a little less time. I want it to taste like the soft boiled eggs my mother made for me as a child.

That's cute! After reading all this I had to try it. I let it go for 1:20....a little too long. I would have taken a picture for Charlie, but it would have been a picture of what not to do. It was too close to hard boiled for me, but tasted good. I used a pyrex measuring cup and it was interesting to watch it form while cooking. Hey, I don't get out much! LOL I will try it again tomorrow morning for breakfast, for a little less time. I want it to taste like the soft boiled eggs my mother made for me as a child.

Did you have the cup on that rack that "didn't" come with your electric pressure cooker? Running as fast as my short little legs will go! :angel:

Did you have the cup on that rack that "didn't" come with your electric pressure cooker? Running as fast as my short little legs will go! :angel:

You can't run at all, Addie, you have a broken foot! Carol will easily catch you!

Actually, no, because when my DH was packing up the PC to take it back to the basement storage area I told him "Don't forget the rack! It's over on the counter by the telephone." So now the rack is in the box with the PC. If I am ever looking for it, someone remind me where it is, please. LOL

I'm feeling protective, come stand behind me, Addie!

Thank you. I knew I could always count on you to come to my rescue.

Right now I am so full of Vicodin I probably could run and not even notice my foot. I only take one at a time and then two hours later I take the second one. That way the benefits last longer and I don't have to take as many. I also find that should I let the Vicodin wear off without taking any more, once the pain is gone, it doesn't come back when the pill wears off. :angel:

Addie, I have one Percocet left from my last surgery. I'm saving it for a very special occasion, because I know once that's gone there's no more. There have been several times that I've had pain and I look at that one pill, then put it back thinking, "No, I might have a worse day." LOL

I tried another egg this morning. Let it go for 1:10. The yolk was still a little too well done, but there was some white that was not done. That doesn't work for me. The white has to be cooked. I will try again tomorrow. I think it was Jonesfolk who heated the water first, then added the egg and heated it again. I will try that, because I was always told for a hard boiled egg, always start them in cold water because if you use hot water, the white will start to cook before the yolk and the yolk will not be done enough. In this case, that's the result I want. If that doesn't work I will probably just have to concede that this process is not for me.

Carol, I had the same result when I tried it yesterday. I think warming the water first is a good idea; I'm going to try that, too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom