Soft-boiled Eggs In Microwave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarlSchellenberger

Washing Up
Hi, y'all.

Is there any way to cook soft-boiled eggs in a microwave? I asked Mom and Cat, and they don't know. I have a microwave and a toaster in our dorm room. We can't have hot plates/burners because some idiots cooked drugs on them and they're also a fire hazard.

I know how to make them on a regular stove. They're really good with shredded-up toast and all mixed together in a bowl with salt and pepper.

Any ideas? Thanks, y'all. :)

Carl

Hi, y'all.

Is there any way to cook soft-boiled eggs in a microwave? I asked Mom and Cat, and they don't know. I have a microwave and a toaster in our dorm room. We can't have hot plates/burners because some idiots cooked drugs on them and they're also a fire hazard.

I know how to make them on a regular stove. They're really good with shredded-up toast and all mixed together in a bowl with salt and pepper.

Any ideas? Thanks, y'all. :)

Carl

ATK today had a show on Eggs Florentine. They were able to make an egg with a soft cooked yolk on a bed of spinach. The same recipe could be adapted for the microwave I am sure. :angel:

I have been told that if the yolk isn't broken, the eggs can go boom.

I usually make an omelette. Whisk an egg lightly with about a teaspoon of water and nuke it for 60 seconds on high. Don't salt it before nuking. It supposedly makes the egg tough.

Hi Carl. I too love soft boiled eggs mixed with toast. :)

If all you have to work with is a toaster and microwave, toast your bread first, and shred it so it will be ready.

Then, as taxlady suggested, poke your yolks :LOL:, add a tsp. of water per egg, gently stir and microwave....just for 15 or 20 seconds at a time or so at most....stirring at intervals...keeping in mind that the eggs will continue to cook once you remove them from the microwave. Take the bowl of eggs out before they look about as close to soft boiled consistency as you're gonna get.....as they will continue to cook. Mix in your shredded toast, salt and pepper as you like, and enjoy. Actually pretty good that way. :yum:

Last edited:
Hi Carl. I too love soft boiled eggs mixed with toast. :)

If all you have to work with is a toaster and microwave, toast your bread first, and shred it so it will be ready.

Then, as taxlady suggested, poke your yolks :LOL:, add a tsp. of water per egg, gently stir and microwave....just for 15 or 20 seconds at a time or so at most....stirring at intervals...keeping in mind that the eggs will continue to cook once you remove them from the microwave. Take the bowl of eggs out before they look about as close to soft boiled consistency as you're gonna get.....as they will continue to cook. Mix in your shredded toast, salt and pepper as you like, and enjoy. Actually pretty good that way. :yum:

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks to all of y'all. I get kinda frustrated at microwave cooking sometimes.

Carl

A whole yolk in the microwave causes a loud explosion and requires a significant amount of time to clean the microwave's interior. Those little particles of egg get into all those tiny little holes in the walls of the microwave.

Don't ask me how I know...

Very clever. I'll have to try that. My thought is to drop the egg into water already in the cup so filling the cup with water doesn't disperse the white.

You can also pick up one of these "As Seen on TV" Stonewave cookers at your local Bed Bugs & Beyond for 10 bucks American and save all those outrageous shipping and handling fees they charge if you order it on line. According to their commercial, it can be used for lots of different microwave recipes, not just eggs.

You might be able to get away with an induction burner hot plate in your dorm room. I'm sure some chemistry major could figure out how to cook meth on one, but at least the fire hazard is eliminated. The only drawback is you can't use aluminum cookware on it, they have to be some kind of ferrous material. I use an induction burner plate at my client's facility to test recipes before they get posted on the company blog, and I found some relatively inexpensive "aluminized steel" pots and pans at a restaurant supply store, and cast iron also works well.

stone-wave-site.jpg

Last edited:
Very clever. I'll have to try that. My thought is to drop the egg into water already in the cup so filling the cup with water doesn't disperse the white.

If you're going to do that, put a few drops of vinegar in the water to help the white stay together.

Sir Loin, thanks for the video. That's a good idea.
And I really like those little Stonewave cups! :)

Are we allowed to get stuff from DC and copy it to our computers for later? I mean if we don't share it or anything, if it's just for our own use? Cat says it's okay, but what about that video SLoB posted? Is that included too?

Carl

Back
Top Bottom