Squeezing 2.5 quarts out of 2 quart Cuisinart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justplainbill

Executive Chef
Squeezing 2 ½ quarts (10 cups) out of the Cuisinart 2 quart ice cream machine:

A cooked custard mix made from 4 whole eggs, 3 egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon of flour, 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon of salt, and 3 cups each of whole milk and heavy cream can be used to make about 10 cups of ice cream. This can be done by churning ½ of the mix in the Cuisinart for 30 minutes, quickly removing 4 cups of the churned product, adding the balance of the custard mix, churning for another 30 minutes and then remove for final freezing what should be some 6 cups of soft ice cream.
If you get your eggs for ‘free’, you can make a reduced sugar Haagen Dazs type quality ice cream for about $1 per pint.

I saw flour in one of the Fannie Farmer cooked custard recipes. It seems to add some body and smoothness and offset some of the greasiness of a high fat (7 egg yolks + 3 cups heavy cream) ice cream.

That's interesting. I've not heard of that before. Have you tried it without the flour and found it objectionable?

OK. Maybe I should give it a try. I Make a quart at a time. Three cups h. cream, one of whole milk, 8 yolks, a cup of sugar and less vanilla than you use.

Eight yolks and 1 cup sugar in 1 quart of ice cream?
Sounds like a tasty, very rich mix; highly nutritional, but for me, a tad too sweet and heavy on the fat. It's difficult for me to restrict my daily consumption to 1/2 cup or less.

Last edited:
Eight yolks and 1 cup sugar in 1 quart of ice cream?
Sounds like a tasty, very rich mix; highly nutritional, but for me, a tad too sweet and heavy on the fat. It's difficult for me to restrict my daily consumption to 1/2 cup or less.

Fair enough. However, I never looked to ice cream as a nutritional supplement. :LOL: Maybe I should try to sell it that way!

Back
Top Bottom