Storing Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you freeze ricotta, IMO, you can use it for cooking (eg, lasgana) but not for eating uncooked (eg, cannoli), as it usually separates and you will have liquid that you'll need to drain off or work back in. It also can get grainy.

You probably won't notice in lasagna or stuffed shells or something like that.

Thanks Miss Jennyema..... Occasionally I like to eat it as is, but mainly I cook with it. Speaking of, I got a tub at home that needs to promptly frozen!

Me too, or it's bad!!!! So the freezing option has my interest piqued!

LOL....:blush:....(sigh) Yes, or it's bad.

Yes Beth, it has some sort of liquid in it. Thanks for the tip!

Usually I'll make stuffed chicken breasts or ravioli, etc.

LOL....:blush:....(sigh) Yes, or it's bad.

Yes Beth, it has some sort of liquid in it. Thanks for the tip!

Usually I'll make stuffed chicken breasts or ravioli, etc.

Ok, you have to PM about your stuffed chicken breasts..... that sounds like it would be good!

Vacuum pack it. Love the Reynolds vacuum packer ziplocks..

I find it keeps cheese for a very long time..

I have to disagree with those that say you should never wrap cheese in plastic. Logically I know that waxed paper should be better, but i have not found that to be the case. When I have used waxed paper my cheese has molded much quicker than when I used plastic wrap. When I use plastic though it is usually not wrapped super tight. There is a little breathing room. I have a piece of cheese in my fridge wrapped in plastic right now that is over 3 weeks old and is showing no signs of mold or dryness or anything else. It still tastes as it did when I bought it.

the directions for the mozzarella cheese I just made says to wrap tightly in plastic wrap and it will keep up to two weeks in the frig. If I would want to keep it any longer than two weeks it is recommended I freeze this fresh cheese. (it won't last longer than one day;))

An important idea was written above that bares repeating. There are many different conditions throughout the world and many different ways of keeping cheeses for these varying conditions.

Last edited:
I'm kinda with you on this.... I vacuum pack all my cheese, lasts a heck of a lot longer than when I don't. Plus..... why is all the cheese vacuumed packed when a buy it? I can't recall a single wedge of cheese that has not been packaged this way.

Not to say the claims here are not true, maybe I have grown accustomed to cruddy cheese and don't know when I have been exposed to the good stuff!

In room temperature it melts.:pig:

the directions for the mozzarella cheese I just made says to wrap tightly in plastic wrap and it will keep up to two weeks in the frig. If I would want to keep it any longer than two weeks it is recommended I freeze this fresh cheese. (it won't last longer than one day;))

An important idea was written above that bares repeating. There are many different conditions throughout the world and many different ways of keeping cheeses for these varying conditions.

I agree with you!:chef:

Cheese Wrapper

I too am a cheese wrapper with plastic wrap. Wrap it loosely in foil or paper it will dry out.

The best way to prevent mold on cheese is to KEEP YOUR FINGERS OFF IT! !

Charlie

We get a little mold once in awhile, we cut it off.
Honestly we dont keep cheese around long enough most times to have that problem very often. Definately not the cheddar or pepper jack ever, we use it so fast. Mozarella sometimes... if its getting a little too old i shred and freeze it to use on pizza.

Cutting mold off has always bothered me a little. I think I've only done it once (this was before I starting vacuum sealing cheese). I ended up cutting all six sides...... I figured the mold I could see was one thing, but there might be spores and mold ready to start on other surfaces that I don't see. I probably wasted a lot of good cheddar, but I felt better about using it.
And this from a guy who thaws meat on the counter and cleans a cutting board my splashing dish soap on it and rinsiing with hot water :ohmy:
;)

There is a correct way and an incorrect way of cutting mold out of cheese. Also it can not be done with any cheese (like soft cheeses).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom