Substitute egg yolks for whole eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebbieP.

Assistant Cook
can egg yolks be substituted for whole eggs? if so, what is the ratio? I am looking at a recipe calling for 2 egg whites. then am going to make banana bread (double batch) and was thinking of using the left egg yolks for 1 whole egg in the banana bread.
Any thoughts on this?
Debbie

DebbieP. said:
can egg yolks be substituted for whole eggs? if so, what is the ratio? I am looking at a recipe calling for 2 egg whites. then am going to make banana bread (double batch) and was thinking of using the left egg yolks for 1 whole egg in the banana bread.
Any thoughts on this?
Debbie

Debbie, I've used egg whites in place of whole eggs, but not the other way around. Wouldn't use yolks in place of eggs. Eggs are inexpensive enough, where I wouldn't risk a recipe (particularly making a double-batch) subbing out/eliminating parts of the egg - particularly in baking. I would stick with the recipe. I think you can freeze yolks or whites for later use.

Yes, I would use the egg yolks and just a bit of water or milk.

Equivalents: 1 whole egg = 2 egg whites (to reduce fat; may make baked goods less tender) = 2 egg yolks (in sauces, custards, and cream fillings). One egg contains about one tablespoon of egg yolk and two tablespoons of egg white.

I made a pastry cream recipe the other day. The recipe called for one whole egg or two yolks.

Aurora said:
It depends entirely upon what purpose the egg is playing in the recipe. If you are adding an egg and need the white for leavening or emulsifier then substituting 2 yokes will not work since the yoke does not provide those functions like the whites.

Good point, Aurora. It depends on the recipe. Unless on a restricted diet, I would leave it alone. Eggs are cheap.

Egg yolks are used in a recipe to thicken it or give it body; you'll see recipes that call for 2 whole eggs + 2 yolks, especially for custards. I would think just using the yolks would make the banana bread pretty dense and thick.

Back
Top Bottom