The search for Liederkranz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buck

DC's Angel
Hi, y'all (this is my Paula Deen impression)

Years ago I fell in love with Borden's Liederkranz cheese. Some time ago they stopped makiing it and I've been in mourning ever since. Does anybody out there know of a suitable substitute? My cheese glands are atrophying and I want to feed my need! Thanks for your help.

Buck:cat:

There are plenty of other stinky feet cheeses out there!! pont levecque is a bit on the way. Columbiers and rebluchon (I think--at least what we had in Provence was!!) would fill the bill. Limburger?
Go to igourmet.com and look.

Just (Googled), Borden's Liederkranz,and found a site that has a new cheese -inspired by Liederkranz- called "Kullers Cheese Factory retail store. The new cheese is called Bayrisher Bergsteiger Kase ( a soft mellow lmburger type cheese). It was $2.75 - 6 oz. Kullerscheese@yahoo.com Hopes this helps ! :)

Add me & my mom to the list of Liederkranz lovers, who also mourned its passing. Used to come in a litle cardboard box with a wooden bottom.

One of my mom's & my favorite sandwiches growing up - although not one I ever took to school due to it's "pungency" - lol!! - was Liederkranz & raw onion on white bread. Yum!!!!

Several years ago Saveur magazine did an article on the birth & death of Liederkranz. It was an interesting read - sort of like reading the obit of an old friend.

I'm confused (not an unnatural state for me). I also Googled "Borden's Liederkranz" and found quite a bit of information about it.

Most sources say that Borden stopped making any natural cheeses (as opposed to the goo they call "process cheese") in late 1981, after a fire damaged its plant in Van Wert, Ohio, where Liederkranz had been made since 1926.

These sources also say that the Van Wert plant was then purchased by the Fisher Cheese Company, which produced Liederkranz until 1985, when bacteria contaminated a batch of Liederkranz and several other cheeses. Fisher then withdraw Liederkranz from the market, and supposedly it was never made again. The rights to the cheese and the culture used to make it supposedly were then sold to the New Zealand Dairy Board, which has reportedly kept the culture alive but never produced this uniquely American cheese.

Is this incorrect? Have you been able to buy this cheese more recently than 1985? I'm curious because I remember that my wife's father loved the stuff, and I had it frequently at their home before we were married.

That's correct Doug, if my recollection of the Saveur magazine article serves me right. There hasn't been any Liederkranz produced since the mid-1980's.

Wrong e-mail address!

Barb L said:
Just (Googled), Borden's Liederkranz,and found a site that has a new cheese -inspired by Liederkranz- called "Kullers Cheese Factory retail store. The new cheese is called Bayrisher Bergsteiger Kase ( a soft mellow lmburger type cheese). It was $2.75 - 6 oz. Kullerscheese@yahoo.com Hopes this helps ! :)

The e-mail address is kutterscheese@yahoo.com, not kuller.

Last edited:
Good for you!! From what I've read on their website, I don't think your order should be compromised at all. Do give us a critique of the cheese or cheeses you receive!!!

I'll let ya know. They say their limburger is firm. My experience has been that limberger goes from firm to soft & creamy and then back to firm (dried out). Ordered two 14 oz limburger and four 6 oz bergsteiger(liederkranz imitations).

Good for you!! From what I've read on their website, I don't think your order should be compromised at all. Do give us a critique of the cheese or cheeses you receive!!!

I prefer Kutter’s Limburger to their version of Liederkranz and am likely to reorder their Limburger. Their Limburger seems a tad sweet (light in the salt dept.) but that’s better than too salty; I merely add a little salt to the schmear on my bread or cracker.

I have never heard of or tried this cheese.... hmmmm... Buck, you got me wondering now!!!!

liederkranz

PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT LIEDERKRANZ AND PONT L'EVECQUE (AND LIMBURGER) ARE "STINKY" CHEESES ARE BUYING, EATING, USING CHEESES THAT HAVE "AGED". WHEN THOSE CHEESES ARE YOUNG, THEY HAVE NO PRONOUNCED ODOR. AS THEY GET OLDER, THEY DEVELOP AN AMMONIATED AROMA AND THE RIND GETS HARD. THE CLOSEST YOU WILL COME TO "LIEDERKRANZ" IS LIMBURGER. YOU CAN GET IT ONLINE FROM iGOURMET AND FROM PLACES LIKE ZINGERMANN'S IN ANN ARBOR. WHEN YOU PURCHASE IT, TASTE TEST IT (IF PERMISSIBLE) OR PRESS IT. IT SHOULD "GIVE" A LITTLE (BUT NOT TOO MUCH) AND REJECT IT IF IT IS HARD.
BORDEN'S NO LONGER MAKES "LIEDERKRANZ". YOU CANNOT GET IT.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY LEADS ON DOMESTIC BRIE OR CAMEMBERT? KOLB LENA CHEESE MADE A DOMESTIC BRIE THAT WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD. BUT, ALAS, NO LONGER IN EXISTENCE. ANY LEADS WILL BE APPRECIATED. HTS.
hentsand@ix.netcom.com

Back
Top Bottom