Use Cottage cheese instead ricotta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
isn't it amazing the variety of tastes? I find ricotta has a lighter, fluffier texture than cottage, which to me is like little curds in whey. Quite a different experience. I have used both in lasagna though, sometimes one, sometimes the other, sometimes two of them.
If the sauce is tasty, and you're in the mood for lasagna, I'd say go with whatever cheese you have on hand.

I like to use cottage cheese, because I like to be able to make a salad with it as well as using it in lasagna or topping for hamburger onion pie.

Realistically, they aren't that far apart. Drained cottage cheese, mixed with shredded mozz, grated parm, garlic, fresh chopped parsley, salt and pepper( think manicotti filling)I think holds up better when doing a big ol honkin batch of lasagna. Also, while I prefer the texture of ricotta in ravioli, tortellini, and desserts, I like the consistency/texture in a hearty meat lasagna. Besides, it all bakes in there, and gets gooey anyways, I think for a lot of people they would be hard pressed to even know the difference.

*ETA*
OH, and HOLY THREAD BUMP, Geeez

get me 5 ringers lactate, stat!

(i don't know what that means, but emt's always say that on tv shows)

And ricotta has SO much flavor. As I said in my post, if I am using cottage cheese in place of ricotta I whip it in my KA so it is basically becomes the same texture as ricotta.
How can you use cottage cheese for someone lactose intolerant?
I press it through a sieve (strainer) to drain moisture out of it, and then whip it using a hand mixer. I have substituted cc many times for ricotta. Yesterday I substituted Greek Yogurt for ricotta in a recipe. It worked fine.

Good question ... Interesting Post.

I would never sub Home Made Ricotta in a classic traditional Italian pasta with American Cottage Cheese or any other cheese for that matter.

Cottage cheese has a variety of curd styles, small, large etcetra ... however, it cannot replace ricotta in a lasagne or stuffed shells ... it has a totally different texture, taste and smell.

Ricotta also can be made or purchased salty or sweet, and from cow, goat or sheep milk ...

Cottage cheese is made from dairy cows to my knowledge only.

*** 2 other alternatives would be: Spanish Requesón or Queso de Burgos, from Burgos, Castilla León, Spain; however, they too, are texture different than cottage cheese, and are from dairy cows. Requesón is the closest to Ricotta, and Queso de Burgos is not curdy however, is wet like Cottage cheese.

Have a lovely summer,
Margaux Cintrano.

Well, Margi, since the majority of DCers are in NA, most of us don't have access to the real McCoy all the time so have to make do with what we have. I doubt I could find either of the two cheeses you've mentioned where I live and if I could, the cost would be ridiculous for a pasta dish. Lasagne is expensive enough to make as it is.

I actually use the ricotta cheese in my lasagna, but I have had lasagna with cottage cheese as well. I like both. I grew up eating lasagna without ricotta or cottage cheese. Mom made lasagna without it because my dad didn't like either one.
Hands down what makes my lasagna good is the home made whole wheat pasta...just sayin. ;)

Doesn't matter what year it is Charlie. It is what it is.

We use low fat cottage cheese mainly. ricotta is a full fat treat for us.

I actually use the ricotta cheese in my lasagna, but I have had lasagna with cottage cheese as well. I like both. I grew up eating lasagna without ricotta or cottage cheese. Mom made lasagna without it because my dad didn't like either one.
Hands down what makes my lasagna good is the home made whole wheat pasta...just sayin. ;)
I have used both as well, and I have left it out. Italian immigrants to NA used ingredients that were available to recreate familiar dishes. Now that shipping is more reasonable, the authentic foods are more readily available. But, not necessarily reasonably priced for s/one on a budget.

Where I grew up, we did not have access to real Parmesan cheese--it only came in a shaker can. Heck--there was only one grocery store and it wasn't a very big grocery store. Once we moved, there were two grocery stores, but the cheese selection did not include real Parmesan cheese, and I don't recall seeing either feta or ricotta when I was growing up.

I made some lasagna on Saturday and used cottage cheese w/eggs, seasonings, garlic, and lots of Parmesan for each layer.

I find the ricotta to be kind of dry, and I add some softened cream cheese to it make it a little richer and smoother when I use it.

I actually like ricotta, it's just taht I can never get it here, sadly.
I had a hard time finding it when I lived in northern MN, too. That's why I used to make my lasagne always with cottage cheese I pressed through a sieve (to get rid of some of the liquid), added eggs and spinach to the cottage cheese.

i've only used ricotta, but after so many people here have said that cottage cheese works - with a bit of work - i'll try something new.

i've made dozens of big (full, deep, steam table/aluminum serving pan size :chef:) lasagnas over the years for company holiday parties, and the ricotta was always one of the big differences year to year, i've thought. from sheer factor in the layers (like an avalanche), to flavour, the ricotta was a major factor to what worked or didn't.

i will report results when it comes to pass. :)

Last edited:
I layered cheese ravioli with sauce, moz.cheese and Parm cheese and baked it in the oven. You were all making me hungry for lasagna and I didn't have ricotta or cottage cheese. I was pleased with the result!

Back
Top Bottom