Wedge Parmigiano-Reggiano - How long will it last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I bought a wedge of Parmigiano reggiano. it says auricchio parmesan reggiano and it's net weight is .50lb. It was $9.00

How long should I expect this to last. I'm obviously not going to the whole wedge for one pasta dinner.

Thanks so much!

Mary

It should last for months. Store it in a ziploc bag in the cheese drawer. Don't wrap it in plastic wrap etc.

I like it plain with a glass of apricot wine or similar.

I save the hard rinds for mac n cheese.I chop them small and mix with sauce into the pasta before baking.

There are a lot of things you can do with a parmesan tuile.
Make tubes,baskets,rounds and fill them with anything.

It looks attractive as a last step before serving to sprinkle it all over any italian or mediterranean dish or salad and let it sprinkle on the rim of the plate too.

Also, I use a ton of it when making pesto with fresh basil, roasted pine nuts, garlic, and olive oil.

mollyanne, next time you make pesto, try unsalted pistachio nuts in place of the pine nuts. I think you'll love it. I got the idea from Alton Brown.

mollyanne, next time you make pesto, try unsalted pistachio nuts in place of the pine nuts. I think you'll love it. I got the idea from Alton Brown.
Thanks, Andy...i will. I've used walnuts before because they are cheaper and healthier but I'll bet the flavor of the pistachio nuts would be better.

Depending on the application, I sometimes like to shave it instead of grate it. A good parm reg will have those great crunchy crystals in in that you do not get to experience with grated cheese. I use an apple peeler and shave off little bits. Half make it into whatever application I am using them for and the other half take a detour into my mouth.

I love this cheese but an Italian chef told me to grate it and store in the freezer it is like having fresh every time you use some and of course you use just what you need. It does work as I have been doing this for quite a few years.

Regards

Lesley31

I love this cheese but an Italian chef told me to grate it and store in the freezer it is like having fresh every time you use some and of course you use just what you need. It does work as I have been doing this for quite a few years.

Regards

Lesley31

I am so glad you posted this as I was just about to post asking can you freeze it. I always buy a wedge and I don't use it up soon enough and it turns too hard to grate. My mother used to pick out the wedge she wanted and have the deli counter grate it for her but it got used up fast in her house. I will definitely try this because I am planning to buy a wedge to use in pesto soon.

Can it be frozen before grating in small chunks and then grate them as you use them?

I grate (really grind) the whole wedge at once. I use my food processor with the chopping blade. I saw the Barefoot Contessa do this.

If you have a really good food processor just cut the cheese into cubes and let 'er rip, if you have a less powerful one, drop them one by one down the chute while the blade is spinning.

This makes quick work of grating cheese.

If you look, you can probably find good quality grated parmesan for cheaper than the wedge. I was a "grate it immediately before use" purist until I moved to an area where my regular grocery store was a mom and pop Italian supermarket. I tried some of the various plastic boxes of grated parmesan, romano, and mixed (cheese ends from their deli section) cheese. I figured if Italians were willing to buy it grated, I should give it a try at half the price. It was perfectly nice.

I am so glad you posted this as I was just about to post asking can you freeze it. I always buy a wedge and I don't use it up soon enough and it turns too hard to grate. My mother used to pick out the wedge she wanted and have the deli counter grate it for her but it got used up fast in her house. I will definitely try this because I am planning to buy a wedge to use in pesto soon.

Can it be frozen before grating in small chunks and then grate them as you use them?

I have never tried to freeze in chunks, could be bulky in freezer. I grate all that I buy and store in a good freezer bag it can be stored as flat then as you want it. I have a Magimix food processor with a hard cheese grater attachment, works a treat.

Lesley

Back
Top Bottom