What cheese do you cook with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
What cheese is your favoritte to use in recipes... ???
I love cheddar of course, as well as mozzerella, and I love colby-jack to snack on with crackers, I would love to hear your cheesey recipes as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love cooking with cheese. I use all different kinds. The one that seems to make it into my dishes the most though seems to be Parmesano Regiano.

Gruyere, Mozz, Parmegiano Reggiano, cheddar, cream cheese are always in my fridge. Occasionally I splurge on Gorgonzola and Fontina.

I'm another in the it depends on what I'm making category.

We use all different kinds - heck, we'll even use Velveta on occasion...

John

When making scrambled eggs I sometimes thrown in bits of crumbled Feta cheese.

Other then that it's Sharp Cheddar or Mozzarella. I like to make grilled cheese sandwiches using both together with some bacon.

Gee, there are soooo manyyyy cheeses we love and regularly use...
For a start parmigiano or grana padano are almost everyday staple.
Then fresh mozzarella (buffalo one is the best!) for either munching just like that, on salad or in certain pasta dishes.
For appetizers, salads, something to be used unheated, provolone and pecorino are excellent.
For melting in risotto, pasta, casseroles, sauces, fondues etc. fontina, taleggio, gorgonzola, gouda, edam, provola, bel paese, emmenthar, jarlsberg, etc. though they are also delicious as they are (except gorgonzola!).
I also love grilling smoked scamorza, it is also good on pizza or frittata.
Also for just snacking or to be eaten with bread or crackers, I love robiola, stracchino, brie and camambert.
For desserts I very often use mascarpone and ricotta (ah, ricotta also for pasta filling and savoury tarts!!)...
These are just some examples of cheeses we enjoy... ah, in case you haven't realised yet, we are big cheeseheads!!:mrgreen:

urmaniac13 said:
ah, in case you haven't realised yet, we are big cheeseheads!!:mrgreen:

Didn't know you were Green Bay Packer fans!!!

cheesehead.jpg

John

Lol!!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Well we are not from Wisconsin... we are ROMAN cheeseheads...I should have said "Testa di Formaggi"...:mrgreen:

It's hard to pick a favorite, but for cooking, I'd have to say parmesan, mozzerella, cheddar, ricotta, cream cheese and Velveeta. I love blue cheese, feta, gouda, colby, etc.
Frankly, I've never met a cheese I didn't like. HB doesn't like Limburger...he can't get past the smell.

Quite timely....

...we just discovered fontina cheese as it was called for in an Italian mac and cheese recipe. However, I grated some on a tossed salad with black olives and slivered onions and it is super. Gouda, or a sharp chedar, with a macintosh or jonathan apple is great.

parmigiano for almost everything
Motz for pizza
swiss and cheddar for grilled cheese

It's so hard to choose.. i love ALL cheese! But I'd have to say brie, simply because it is so versatile. You can use it with both sweet and savory dishes and it completely changes your view of the cheese when paired with either.

My favourite recipe would be poached pears w/ brie. Basically you peel, slice, core and halve some pears. Poach the pear halves in a basic poaching liquid. (white wine, vanilla bean and sugar is good) Once poached, remove from liquid and place on a cookie sheet. Fill the hollows w/ some fresh brie and place under the broiler just until the cheese starts to melt. Remove and place in a serving bowl, pouring some of the poaching liquid on top. Sprinkle the top w/ some candied pecans or walnuts or any other nuts you like and then enjoy. :)

Last edited:
Love cheese!!! Definately high up on both my lists of favourite foods and foods that I wish were fat and calorie free :LOL: I like to try cooking with just about any cheese, though blue (and other mold) cheese are not to my liking. Cheddar, edam, mozzarella, parmesan, swiss, gouda, jack, veleveta, riccota, feta (and other goats cheeses) and mascarpone are among the ones that I've used the most through out my life. (Okay, I'll admit it, processed/American cheese has found its way into some of my dishes too :mrgreen:)

I would kill every person on this board for a slice of really good Italian pecorino because I have some of the most beautiful tasting pears as well as some walnuts and honey just waiting for the cheese.

It's nothing personal against you guys but nice Pecorino and nice pears is just a fantastic combination.

Kim,
We're having a twin moment! :LOL: I love and buy the same three cheeses you mentioned. That's about all the cheese you'll find in my fridge unless I'm making something fancy then I'll use Smoked Gouda or Provolone. Havarti cheese is one of my favorites too.

I don't like american cheese or velveeta at all and I'm not wild about mascarpone - any others I really enjoy.

An easier question would be - what cheese don't I cook with or like! The only cheese that is taboo in this house is Stilton. My husband had it some years ago. He was spending time with a family from England. They served it with Port Wine, as is the custom. He remembers the taste as "urine soaked hay".

Cheddar and Swiss for casseroles. For pizza topping, I use 75% fresh mozzarella and 25% Romano.

Obviously, parmigiano as mentioned often, but there is hardly a mention of Gruyere here. For ccoking that is. But I love all cheeses, except some of the more pungant goat types.

^ yes, gruyere is a great cheese for cooking, it cooks well, it's the only cheese I actually use for cooking especailly if the cooking takes more than half an hour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom