What do Ostrich Eggs taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prada

Assistant Cook
hope this isnt posted yet

but i want to know what does ostrich egg taste like??? I hear that it taste exactly like chicken egg, can anyone confirm this?

As far as I know, Ostrich farms sell their unfertilized eggs to industrial egg suppliers. Taste wise there appears to be little to no difference.
The only reason why they're not marketed for immediate consumption is their rather unhandy size.

I once saw an Ostrich Egg and it has a very different size as a regular egg. I am sure that using them in your receipes will be just find.

Have a nice day.

Jill and Jolie

I wouldn't mind getting a few ostrich eggs. It takes about an even dozen eggs to feed my horde breakfast. A couple ostrich eggs would fit the bill nicely.

the usual eqivalent is ! ostrich egg per 10 (metric "dozen") hen eggs. The shell is hard to crack btw, so be ready with your kitchen hatchet. Makes one heck of a sunny side up!

Robo410 said:
the usual eqivalent is ! ostrich egg per 10 (metric "dozen") hen eggs. The shell is hard to crack btw, so be ready with your kitchen hatchet. Makes one heck of a sunny side up!

Well I have seen it at the nearby farmers market, and the vendor told me one of them is equivalent of not 10 but 20 hen eggs!!

And Robo is right the shell is very very tough, I was wondering how you would crack that baby efficiently, a drill?

I tried them once at a Christmas party...i thought they were a little similar to pickled eggs.

according to the guys on fear factor they didn't taste too good, but they had
to down a whole raw ostrich egg...

Along the same lines, what is the difference between quail and chicken egg? I see that on Iron Chef America they always seem to use quail eggs!

urmaniac13 said:
Well I have seen it at the nearby farmers market, and the vendor told me one of them is equivalent of not 10 but 20 hen eggs!!

And Robo is right the shell is very very tough, I was wondering how you would crack that baby efficiently, a drill?
Years ago I saw a story about ostrich eggs on the news. They said some people drill two small holes and drain the egg out to cook with, then they clean the egg and paint it.

:) Barbara

Attachments

• Ostrich egg.jpg
    Ostrich egg.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 36,337
  • Ostrich egg 2.gif
    Ostrich egg 2.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 33,697
  • Ostrich egg 3.gif
    Ostrich egg 3.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 33,579
  • Ostrich egg 4.gif
    Ostrich egg 4.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 33,703
  • Ostrich egg 5.jpg
    Ostrich egg 5.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 33,487
Sorry, I ask for an explication, please....
What do you mean with "Ostrich eggs"?
I know "Uova all'ostrica"..mmm.....let's me try to translate...."Eggs as ostrichs", "eggs Ostrich way"...
But they are simply raw yolks, very cold, in a spoon, with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Like an ostrich, indeed.

RDG said:
I know "Uova all'ostrica"..mmm.....let's me try to translate...."Eggs as ostrichs", "eggs Ostrich way"...
But they are simply raw yolks, very cold, in a spoon, with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Like an ostrich, indeed.

RDG, they are talking about "uova di struzzo"!!

RDG said:

RDG, ostrica in inglese non e ostrich, vuol dire oyster...

The principal where I used to work raised ostriches and he brought in an egg to scramble for the kinders to taste. I was too late and didn't get a taste but the teacher said it tasted like a regular chicken egg to her. I have eaten goose eggs and they are a bit more rubbery than chicken eggs but are good pickled. I've also eaten guinea, duck, peafowl and turkey eggs and the guinea, peafowl, and turkey ones tasted like chicken eggs but the duck eggs were also a bit rubbery like the goose eggs. My mom bakes with turkey, peafowl, and goose eggs and they seem to make the cakes rise even better than chicken eggs. They make super cakes. My daughter blows out the goose eggs, raw, and then puts a suprise in them and turns them into a work of art for her little cousins to break and get the suprise out. Most of the parents don't want their kids to break the beautiful eggs but my daughter tells them that's what she makes them for. She makes ones for Easter, Halloween, Christmas and sometimes their birthday's. Mom has around 30 geese -- White Chinese and Grey Toulese (I don't think I spelled that one right).

Here is what some people do with the shells; absolutely gorgeous!!!!
img_329959_0_46bc574aa20919a220fd8be40434ca70.jpg

img_329959_1_318d32f29778937a53e556f367f55452.jpg
img_329959_2_5f59547b02c3b7d50e96a27f1df55df8.jpg
img_329959_3_ea2753524d521381c14e211fb1241892.jpg
img_329959_4_2957e5072bafac6204a4d537b600e2d4.jpg
img_329959_5_1a370b00dccd1643301dd5386666809d.jpg
img_329959_6_8bea81b141a8be35047b6acab5ab2b7b.jpg

Mamma mia che bello!! These are beautiful!! And Barb, I do have seen this type of paintings too... so these eggs are also excellent medium for fine arts... now I wonder though, how do they clean the inside so they won't start smelling????

to make an omlette for 6, take one ostrich egg......
to make an omlette for 1. take thirty-six quail eggs......

Those shells above are things of great beauty.

I haven't had ostrich eggs, but I've had goose eggs, and they are quite good. One makes a large omelet, and tastes like a chicken egg, only a bit richer.

I agree about goose and even duck eggs tasting a bit richer. Although as some have already pointed out, duck and goose eggs do seem a bit more rubbery (is there such a word? lol) if you fry them as you would a hen's egg. I do remember the first time we had turkey eggs, my Mom made a huge batch of pancakes and they were so very rich!!!!

Back
Top Bottom