What do traditional names for fried eggs mean to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think over easy means that the yoke is still runny. As someone else mentioned, how the heck do you get the white not fully cooked when the egg has been flipped over on the pan?

I think over easy means that the yoke is still runny. As someone else mentioned, how the heck do you get the white not fully cooked when the egg has been flipped over on the pan?

I've been served flipped fried eggs ordered at "Over Medium" that have had raw egg white in them SO many times. It's disgusting. Like a plate full of snot.

Are you serious? You've never been served flipped eggs where the white was not fully cooked? If so, you must stick pretty close to home. I would guess I've been served them that way in at least 30-40 different restaurants in several states across the USA. I hope your luck holds. I wish I had your luck.

It always makes me feel bad to have the plate sent back to get my eggs cooked properly. That's why NOW I always spell it out for the waitress so she'll make sure the cook understands.

I've been served flipped fried eggs ordered at "Over Medium" that have had raw egg white in them SO many times. It's disgusting. Like a plate full of snot.

Are you serious? You've never been served flipped eggs where the white was not fully cooked? If so, you must stick pretty close to home. I would guess I've been served them that way in at least 30-40 different restaurants in several states across the USA. I hope your luck holds. I wish I had your luck.

It always makes me feel bad to have the plate sent back to get my eggs cooked properly. That's why NOW I always spell it out for the waitress so she'll make sure the cook understands.

I cook over easy eggs for myself all the time. It's quite easy to make them so there is still loose (or snotty) egg white. It's all a matter of how long you cook the eggs on side one before you flip.

I cook over easy eggs for myself all the time. It's quite easy to make them so there is still loose (or snotty) egg white. It's all a matter of how long you cook the eggs on side one before you flip.

I cook the egg just long enough to get my flipper underneath it without it falling apart (that's right, I'm not a pan flipper ;)). As soon as the yolk side hits the hot skillet, that side's whites set up. Maybe I cook with a hotter pan... or maybe I'm used to a thicker snot :LOL:

When I flip my eggs, the whites aren't completely set. As soon as I flip, I turn off the burner and the residual heat in the pan finishes the egg while I salt and pepper it. Then it slides into the plate.

When I flip my eggs, the whites aren't completely set. As soon as I flip, I turn off the burner and the residual heat in the pan finishes the egg while I salt and pepper it. Then it slides into the plate.

That's how I do it also, Andy. I do test the side of each egg, nearest the yolk for doneness before putting it on my plate. Runny egg white really grosses me out.

That's how I do it also, Andy. I do test the side of each egg, nearest the yolk for doneness before putting it on my plate. Runny egg white really grosses me out.

I understand your aversion. SO is the same way. So much so that she has to cook her own eggs.

I understand your aversion. SO is the same way. So much so that she has to cook her own eggs.
My Grammy ate her eggs about half done. When she was visiting, all of us kids were under strict punishment warnings if we made gagging noises while she was eating her eggs. We did have giggling fits though. One look from Dad would end that however...

At my Dad's table, kids did not speak unless spoken to by an adult unless asking for something to be passed. We loved to try to make each other laugh and would resort to all manners of eye-rolls and such at each other. Dad would tolerate one or two snickers, but not much. He was raised under 1850's standards and taught us the same way. He was born in 1907 when his Dad was over 50.

I've just recently started eating eggs scrambled so the only term I know used here is sunny side up which is cooked on one side (yuck).

I only eat srambled eggs at home because I can't eat them prepared by someone else. So I've never ordered eggs to know what "over easy" and all those terms mean....

I've never ordered eggs to know what "over easy" and all those terms mean....

That's my entire point...the terms mean something different to many, many cooks. The best way is to describe how you want your eggs cooked when they are served to you and let the wait staff and cooks call them whatever they wish.

I mean; "Whites completely cooked and yolk as runny as possible" can only mean one thing, regardless of what it's called.

When I want to get fancy about it, I separate the white and yolk, put the whites in the pan until they are 3/4 cooked and THEN put the yolk in the middle after scoring the white in the middle. That allows the little bit of white with the yolk to seep into the scoring and then I "sunny side up" it to finish.

That works perfectly, but you'll never get a restaurant to make them that way.

I guess we don't even define "whites fully cooked" the same.

I have eaten eggs over easy in restaurants from Newfoundland to Ontario and in Massachusetts. Never had the white so under cooked that I would call it raw. I don't usually flip them when I fry eggs for myself. I either kill 'em for a sandwich or put the lid on so the steam will cook the white that's over the yoke in a sunny side up egg. When I'm having a fried egg I want runny yoke and no snot. That's what I have gotten when I asked for over easy.

That's my entire point...the terms mean something different to many, many cooks. The best way is to describe how you want your eggs cooked when they are served to you and let the wait staff and cooks call them whatever they wish.

I mean; "Whites completely cooked and yolk as runny as possible" can only mean one thing, regardless of what it's called.

When I want to get fancy about it, I separate the white and yolk, put the whites in the pan until they are 3/4 cooked and THEN put the yolk in the middle after scoring the white in the middle. That allows the little bit of white with the yolk to seep into the scoring and then I "sunny side up" it to finish.

That works perfectly, but you'll never get a restaurant to make them that way.

I can only imagine the look on a cooks face if someone was to actually be this specific in their order. :LOL:

Sunny side up= never been flipped
Over Easy=Flipped, and cooked easy, leaving the yolk runny, and the white set
Over medium/hard, all refer to the done-ness of the yolk
+1
To me it refers to the doneness of the yolk. All whites are set

For too many years I worked as a cook in a "Dive" restaurant, or
was it a "greasy spoon"?
Anyway; this is how I cooked eggs back then.

Up (sunny side up)..white set, yolk runny ...UN-flipped of course.
Over-light.. white very runny, yolk runny...flipped
Over-easy.. white just slightly runny, yolk runny...flipped
Over-medium..white fully cooked, yolk runny...flipped
Over-well.. white fully cooked, yolk unbroken & fully cooked...flipped
Over-hard.. white fully cooked, yolk broken & fully cooked...flipped
Basted...white fully cooked, yolk runny...un-flipped, steamed
with water under a lid to cook the top of the egg.
Soft scramble.. scrambled eggs that are still a little runny
Scrambled.. fully cooked scrambled eggs
Dry scramble...fully cooked scrambled eggs that are cooked
longer so they are very dry and starting to brown a little.
Omelettes too

Cooking for all eggs was done on a flat griddle at 250°F

Last edited:
sunny side up= never been flipped
over easy=flipped, and cooked easy, leaving the yolk runny, and the white set
over medium/hard, all refer to the done-ness of the yolk

i was just surprised more than anything, that you didn't know what to make of a sandwich with an over easy egg on it, lol. A runny yolk can be a thing of beauty on some sandwiches, salads, rice bowls, soups. . . I never have cared for a non cooked white, too snotty for me.
i agree!

Of course there is also not flipping but, gently, swishing the bacon grease over the top of the egg until it is cooked to your liking. YUM.

Living in the South, we eat grits (Yeah, I know many of you don't) so I eat the whites completely done and the yolk done to the point that it will finish cooking when I put the grits and egg together. Dh eats his with the whites done and the yolk still runny.

Back
Top Bottom