"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Of course there is also not flipping but, gently, swishing the bacon grease over the top of the egg until it is cooked to your liking. YUM.
Yep. There's nothing like cracking an egg in a skillet that you just cooked bacon in, watching it bubble, and knowing that no part of that egg is touching the pan. Then giving the pan a gentle roll
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #42
Executive Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 3,287
Brian, the pet on the TV show Family Guy relates that he was angry because his "Moon Over Mi-Ham-ee wasn't cooked right, lol. Ham and eggs. Never heard that one before.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #43
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Brian, the pet on the TV show Family Guy relates that he was angry because his "Moon Over Mi-Ham-ee wasn't cooked right, lol. Ham and eggs. Never heard that one before.
I think that's a menu name from Denny's.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think that's a menu name from Denny's.
YUP
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Yep. There's nothing like cracking an egg in a skillet that you just cooked bacon in, watching it bubble, and knowing that no part of that egg is touching the pan. Then giving the pan a gentle roll
It's even better when that's an egg that is so fresh, it is still warm when you hold it in your hand before you crack it!
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It's even better when that's an egg that is so fresh, it is still warm when you hold it in your hand before you crack it!
You got that right. Holding an egg fresh from the chicken is special. Sometimes I will break my rotation method and cook them straight from the nestbox.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #47
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,764
That only works when you milk the cow and then churn the butter to fry the egg in...

I only say it cause I don't get to have eggs that fresh..

And no, we aren't getting chickens.
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
you know, it's amazing to think that people used to actually do that often.

when did they have the time for it? in between surfing the web, watching tv, and texting.
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:39 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
you know, it's amazing to think that people used to actually do that often.

when did they have the time for it? in between surfing the web, watching tv, and texting.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
That only works when you milk the cow and then churn the butter to fry the egg in...

I only say it cause I don't get to have eggs that fresh..

And no, we aren't getting chickens.
That's why some of us have had to resort to bacon...
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
You got that right. Holding an egg fresh from the chicken is special. Sometimes I will break my rotation method and cook them straight from the nestbox.
You have more discipline than I do--I'll go out and wait for two of the hens (they usually lay around 7:30), just so I can grab those two warm eggs...
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #52
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
You have more discipline than I do--I'll go out and wait for two of the hens (they usually lay around 7:30), just so I can grab those two warm eggs...
So... you don't have to squeeze them to get the eggs to come out?
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
I don't quite go that far, FrankZ, but I will stand and wait somewhat impatiently.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I don't quite go that far, FrankZ, but I will stand and wait somewhat impatiently.
Do you do the Chicken Dance while you wait?
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
No--I'm more like a lamaze coach or birthing partner <g>.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #56
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
You have more discipline than I do--I'll go out and wait for two of the hens (they usually lay around 7:30), just so I can grab those two warm eggs...

Your comment makes me think of a story my Grandfather used to tell about an eccentric old lady in our neck of the woods.

My Grandfather said she was so poor she used to follow the chickens around the yard with the frying pan in her hand waiting for them to lay an egg so she could fix lunch.

The so called good old days were not always that good.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Aunt Bea, are you suggesting that I'm eccentric?
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #58
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Aunt Bea, are you suggesting that I'm eccentric?

I was only commenting about FRESH eggs.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Good one.

It is ironic with so many people out of work and struggling that so municipalities do not allow people to keep chickens. You can do so many things with eggs and they are a good source of protein. Although my maternal grandfather was a pharmacist, during the Depression, he often got paid in goods--rag rugs, chickens, a cut of beef, milk, butter, and cream. This was northern MN. They hunted partridge, etc., not because they enjoyed hunting, but because it was a source of food for the table. My grandmother had a huge vegetable garden. My mother told the story of how she and her older brother were sent to get some groceries. They had a $10 bill (which was a lot of money--from which they were to bring home change). Somehow, they lost it in the snow. She remembers eating cabbage and tomato soup for the next two weeks until they had money again--my grandmother would add more of her home-canned tomatoes to the soup pot every day...they also had FRESH eggs because my grandmother also kept...Rhode Island Red hens. But my grandmother wouldn't kill one of the hens because they had enough hens so each person got at least one FRESH egg a day, and if she killed one of the hens, someone would have to go without every day. I can't see my grandmother following the hens around the yard waiting for the hens to lay...
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Good one.

It is ironic with so many people out of work and struggling that so municipalities do not allow people to keep chickens. You can do so many things with eggs and they are a good source of protein. Although my maternal grandfather was a pharmacist, during the Depression, he often got paid in goods--rag rugs, chickens, a cut of beef, milk, butter, and cream. This was northern MN. They hunted partridge, etc., not because they enjoyed hunting, but because it was a source of food for the table. My grandmother had a huge vegetable garden. My mother told the story of how she and her older brother were sent to get some groceries. They had a $10 bill (which was a lot of money--from which they were to bring home change). Somehow, they lost it in the snow. She remembers eating cabbage and tomato soup for the next two weeks until they had money again--my grandmother made braided rugs and would sell those...they also had FRESH eggs because my grandmother also kept...Rhode Island Red hens. Could I be morphing into my grandmother?
She she used to follow the hens around the yard with a frying pan?

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eggs

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.