What does Brie taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DampCharcoal said:
Thanks, folks! Great info as always! I admit I'm a bit hesitant about combining fruit and cheese but it's worth a shot, especially since so many people enjoy it. I believe the brand sold at Kroger is "Alette" or something like that. Not sure where it's from.

That's NOT the kind you want to buy! Costco has a Brie en Cruette that's really tasty you bake it....yum...those crackers the Elf mentioned are really good.

The only time I ever tried Brie (bought at a grocery store) it tasted like pure salt. I would like to try good Brie sometime.

:) Barbara

Hm, I guess I might have to order something decent online. Auntdot, I had a terrible experience with Brie that's hard to forget about! :shock:

Check expiration dates and check the bries behind the ones in front they stock the older ones before the fresher.It should be pure snow white, if not its getting old.I prefer a triple cream brie ,some brands are better then others brands.Ive had pretty good luck with the baby bries that are in a thin round wooden case you can open those and check them out for color.Also the wedges are cut from bigger rounds and wrapped at the store ask at the deli if they have any fresher in the back .Make up some excuse like your going on a week long whatever and need the absolute freshest they have.If it isnt dont buy.:)

One of the keys to really enjoy the flavor and texture of brie is to eat it at room temp. One of my favorite ways to eat brie is to heat it in a slow oven and when melted dip with crusty french bread.................YUMMMMMMMMM!

DampCharcoal said:
The first and last time I ever tried Brie was many years ago. It was creamy with a pungeunt flavor but had an extremely unpleasant acidic 'bite' at the back and sides of the tongue. Was it bad or am I a heathen? :?

bump
Right there with ya damp, so I guess that makes me a "she-athen". I bought some a few days ago, and was not impressed. Reading this post is very true to my feelings, "sour plaster", "white, floury, pasty rind", "awful smell"... I sort of liked it, but had a hard time with the rind.. Think I will refrigerate it, slice off the rind, and try kansasgirl's creamy brie kisses. :neutral:

the brie I grew up on in the 60s in DC fromthe good gourmet grocers was imported unpastureized single cream, which when ripe, was quite runny and had quite an ammonia nose to it. ISnce then the USA doesn't import soft unpasturized cheeses anymore so the brie we get here is double and triple cream, pasturized...very smooth, never runny, never strong it seems. Still, a wedge of mushroom brie room temp, hot crusty sourdough bread, a chilled white, some apples pears and saucison...hmmm...a little watercress...is there a better meal?

Brie is also lovely slit in half...spread some pesto in it...then warm it in the oven or nuker for a minute...wow!

I can honestly say I have never had the nerve to eat brie, so as for the taste I can not say but I will tell you what it looks like......ox snot.

This thread made me sad for those of you who cannot get real brie. re english brie and french brie, living IN somerset I think our brie is not real brie but another beast, (like cheddar from most other places, lol) but real brie should be soft and earthy and is not too pungent. I prefer my brie JUST underripe, it makes a great sandwhich with seedless grapes or sliced apples. Its intersting reading, becase I don't stat to think "pungent" until camenbert , which is a cheese I generally like less than brie. To those struggling with ripe brie, which is gorgeous, but I echo never eat an overripe brie that smells!, may I suggest you try it slighyly underripe to taste it?

DH likes the potato pie I make with brie, bacon, celery and sliced potatoes, oh and sliced tomatoes to top it with.
Just cooked sliced potatoes layered with crispy bacon, cooked celery, cubed brie and a very little bit if stock poured over and topped with sliced tomatoes and oven cooked.

Rob Babcock said:
I don't really care much for Brie, either. It's just a little too pungeant and strong for my tastes. The ripest cheeses I like are probably bleu and gorgonzola.

Brie is too "pungent" but bleu is ok? Whoa, man! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom