What to do with 5 pounds of Amish butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Went shopping yesterday and the market had gotten in a shipment of 5 pound logs of Amish butter for $6. Very creamy and rich tasting. What to make, what to make?

You can find a very nice London Broil and as you are broiling this in the oven, brush with a mixtures of butter, cracked black pepper, and minced garlic or garlic powder. Mamma and DA do this to steaks also, under the broiler.

Your friend,
~Cat

Is it salted or unsalted butter?

I don't know how fast you guys use butter, but at my house, I would chunk it, by eye, into pounds and then into quarter pounds and freeze it. I would leave one pound in the fridge. Did you know that unsalted butter lasts longer in the freezer than salted butter. I think it's because salt lowers the freezing point of water.

Compound butters
Banana bread
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/pear-tarte-77329.html#post1096293 or just the crust or with apples (that was really good)
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/quick-chocolate-cake-tnt-68163.html#post935807

Man at that price I would have bought thirty pounds! Divide and freeze. I would start with shortbread cookies ans maybe some herb butter's. Lucky lucky you!

I don't know how fast you guys use butter, but at my house, I would chunk it, by eye, into pounds and then into quarter pounds and freeze it. I would leave one pound in the fridge. Did you know that unsalted butter lasts longer in the freezer than salted butter. I think it's because salt lowers the freezing point of water.

Compound butters
Banana bread
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/pear-tarte-77329.html#post1096293 or just the crust or with apples (that was really good)
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/quick-chocolate-cake-tnt-68163.html#post935807

Salt was originally added to butter to give it a longer shelf life.

Went shopping yesterday and the market had gotten in a shipment of 5 pound logs of Amish butter for $6. Very creamy and rich tasting. What to make, what to make?
Spread thickly on slabs of fresh homemade bread. On hot toast.

Just idle curiosity - how is Amish butter different to anyone else's butter? (I know who the Amish are.)

Last edited:
Salt was originally added to butter to give it a longer shelf life.
A friend once told me that they only used unsalted butter at home. This was because they had noticed that salted butter didn't go off as fast, so he knew there were preservatives in the salted butter. Well, yeah, it's called salt. :LOL:

Just idle curiosity - how is Amish butter different to anyone else's butter? (I know who the Amish are.)

It was made from mistreated farm animals and churned by children not allowed to speak.
:LOL:

Over here there is *something* about having the Amish name attached to things. I haven't quite figured it out myself, but when I see two brands of blue cheese in the counter and one says "Amish" on it, it's the one that goes in my cart :wacko:
Pennsylvania Dutch is another one. I doubt those egg noodles I like have any real attachment to the PA Dutch, but I like 'em!

Amish folk are known to be hard working simple living upright people. Amish cooking is hardy and delishious. So anything associated with the Amish is generally considered to be of high quality.

Did you know that unsalted butter lasts longer in the freezer than salted butter. I think it's because salt lowers the freezing point

Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me.

Both salted and unsalted butter freezes within hours in a modern freezer.

Salt doesn't inhibit the protective effect of being frozen.

It was made from mistreated farm animals and churned by children not allowed to speak.
:LOL:

Over here there is *something* about having the Amish name attached to things. I haven't quite figured it out myself, but when I see two brands of blue cheese in the counter and one says "Amish" on it, it's the one that goes in my cart :wacko:
Pennsylvania Dutch is another one. I doubt those egg noodles I like have any real attachment to the PA Dutch, but I like 'em!

Maytag Blue one of my favorites comes from the heart of Amish Iowa but I don't think the maker is Amish.

Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me.

Both salted and unsalted butter freezes within hours in a modern freezer.

Salt doesn't inhibit the protective effect of being frozen.
Are you sure? I got the info from Joy of Cooking.

I'll ask my sister. She's a chemical engineer who specialized in food.

The Amish do not treat their cows with hormones. And they are fed mostly grass, not chemically treated hay. So it makes their butter purer in the real sense. They do adhere to the laws of their State as to what the cows must be tested for before it can be sold to the public. Such as TB. And the milk or cream must be pasteurized also. But it is not ultra pasteurized. Ultra pasteurized is when it is pasteurized twice. I have no idea why, but it certainly kills the flavor of the product. Restaurants here do not use the ultra products. And you can really taste the difference. :angel:

Are you sure? I got the info from Joy of Cooking.

I'll ask my sister. She's a chemical engineer who specialized in food.

No. I'm not sure. It just doesn't make any sense logically to me.

Once butter is frozen, it's preserved. Done.

Both salted and unsalted butter freeze quite quickly in a modern freezer.

I can't imagine that unsalted keeps better in the freezer.

In the fridge or on the counter the salt matters more.

I wouldn't trust JoC for food science, so lets hope your sister can weigh in. If I have time later ill do some research

Back
Top Bottom