What type of cheese in a fry-up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FaTsLiMbOy

Assistant Cook
Ive been debating with my brother over which type of cheese to use in a fry-up. He believes that cottage is the best to use because of how creamy it is whereas i believe that Edam is the best. It would be a great help to me and my bro if someone could help us out of this dilemma.

Also if anyone knows where i can purchase a Nike 240ZX washing up machine, that would also be a great help.

I can't afford basic cooking skills

A 'fry up' is usually a term used in the UK for a fried breakfast with all the trimmings - this includes all or some of the following

Fried eggs
Bacon
Sausages
Tomato
Fried bread
Mushrooms
Black pudding
White pudding
Beans (Heinz - in tomato sauce)

BUT - there's no cheese in a British fryup.

Just listen to the arteries hardening.....:)

Last edited:
By your description of a fry-up, I would recomend an Ementeller, Gruyere, or Muenster cheese. but Edam and Havarti would work as well. I would not use cottage cheese. I'm with you on this one. M first choice would prbably be the Muenster.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks for the replies, ill defo try the Havarti next time. I cant believe some of you have never heard of a fry-up :\

Corinne said:
I love cottage cheese! :) I wonder if we are all talking about the same thing. I just don't see how you could fry it.
I looked all over and once again, Ishbel is right. There is no cheese in traditional British fry up's (full English breakfast) that I could find - but is sure does look good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fry-up

Last edited:
Can't think of a way to fry cheese except for the Greek saganaki - breaded first, then quickly fried, and doused with a splash of lemon juice.

Would that suit you? Where's pdswife and Paul? They should know about saganaki/

I've heard of fried cheese - we are all familiar with Fried Cheese Sticks. And there is a Mexican cheese - can't remember the exact name right now but it translates into Frying Cheese. I just can't figure out how you would fry something with the consistency of cottage cheese!

BTW, I know Nike as a manufacturer of athletic shoes/equipment. A 240ZX sounds like a Nissan car model to me. What do Nike & 240ZX have to do with a washing machine? I feel like my chain is being yanked!

Corinne said:
I love cottage cheese! :) I wonder if we are all talking about the same thing. I just don't see how you could fry it.

I would have thought that the cheese would be melted over the other fried foods, not fried in its own right. Also, if it were dipped in flour, egg-wash, and flour again, then in egg-wash again, and finally in bread-crumbs, I bet it would deep-fry well enough, like deep-fried mozarella sticks.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

SAGANAKI 1/2 lb. Kasseri or Kefalotiri cheese
1 tbsp. butter, melted
2 tbsp. brandy
1/2 lemon
assorted crackers and pita bread

Cut cheese into 3 wedges; place in a shallow heatproof serving dish. Brush cheese with butter. Broil 5-6 minutes, until cheese is light brown and bubbly. Heat brandy until warm, pour over cheese. Ignite immediately. Squeeze lemon over cheese. Slice and serve with bread or crackers. Mozzarella cheese may be substituted. 6 servings.

I've had this before but.. never cooked it myself.
Instead of brandy the cheese was covered with Ozo and then lit on fire. OH YUMMMMMY!!!!

Cheese in a fry-up? Just out of curiosity,(I would try anything really) when do you put in the cheese, on the bacon? sausages? mushrooms? eggs?

the only logical thing that can be assumed, if cottage cheese was suggested, was that it is served as a cold side dish.
i've had lots of irish brekkies, similar to english ones, and not one had fried cheese, but many included cold sides like yogurt or custard.

My hubby is a brit too Isbel, and he's never had cheese in his fry up. Usually though he does add HP to it. I've made an adapted version to this for him consisting of a fried egg, friend spam or bacon, boiled mushrooms, a tin of tomatoes, and a cuppa :)

Amber, You had me...... until you mentioned SPAM! :wacko:

We have a DJ here called Fatboyslim..... I think the OP is taking the mickey! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom