When milk isn't milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What makes milk milk? Well JJ, if you want to find out all about milk, I found some bedtime reading for you!
The Chemistry of Milk

You're right about skim milk being raw milk with the fat removed. Here's a little bit from "TheKitchn" about how dairies accomplish that:
How Is Skim Milk Made?

In my opinion, commercial skim milk is on par with soda pop. Sure it has fewer calories than whole milk (90 compared to about 145), but the sugar and sodium levels are higher in the skim milk. Add to it that it tastes like nothing - unless you get it directly from a farm. I used to buy both skim and 2% from a local farm. The skim was very tasty and had a real milk flavor, while the 2% seemed more like whole milk - but it wasn't. Just had a wonderful flavor. Sadly, they no longer bottle their own processed milk. Rather, it is blended with milk from other dairy farms and doesn't taste anywhere near as good. Sadly, the nearest dairy with their own tasty milk is a 26-mile drive...one way!

Over here non-animal is often called "milk" with a prefix stating it's origin, eg "soy milk" or "almond milk", etc.. because the ingredients have to be displayed on the packaging. Goats' milk is labelled as such too but, as it is more expensive than cows' milk, very few people would be confused. I have my (cows') milk delivered to my doorstep in one pint (Imperial measurement - 20 fluid ounces) glass bottles. Eat your hearts out those of you who have to traipse to the supermarket.

After years of living with supermarket milk I no longer get up in the morning and find no milk in the 'fridge for my "cuppa" because flat-mate/house-sharer has used the last - there'll be a pint on the doorstep, ready and waiting for me. My milkman also delivers bread and other essentials, to order, as well as milk products. The milk comes from local farms and hasn't been collected at depots all round the country as supermarket milk often has been. All milk sold in shops and by milk delivery is pasteurised or sterilised or "long-life". You can still buy untreated milk but it's pretty rare. It can only be sold at the farm gate and the standard is very carefully monitored under Health & Safety rules.

Milk deliveries in one pint glass bottles were such an issue that, when we went over to metric measurements, milk was allowed to retain it's "pint" status despite EU rules. As were beer and cider (sold in pints and half pints in pubs) and miles on direction boards and speed limits, etc.

Legalize Milkweed Now!

Why? According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service it isn't illegal to have it growing on your land and the US Department of Agriculture is encouraging farmers and ranchers to plant it.

It's essential to the survival of the endangered Monarch butterfly.

Last edited:
Why? According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service it isn't illegal to have it growing on your land and the US Department of Agriculture is encouraging farmers and ranchers to plant it.

It's essential to the survival of the endangered Monarch butterfly.
I do believe that BT was making a joke.. :)
Ross

Over here non-animal is often called "milk" with a prefix stating it's origin, eg "soy milk" or "almond milk", etc.. because the ingredients have to be displayed on the packaging. Goats' milk is labelled as such too but, as it is more expensive than cows' milk, very few people would be confused. I have my (cows') milk delivered to my doorstep in one pint (Imperial measurement - 20 fluid ounces) glass bottles. Eat your hearts out those of you who have to traipse to the supermarket.

After years of living with supermarket milk I no longer get up in the morning and find no milk in the 'fridge for my "cuppa" because flat-mate/house-sharer has used the last - there'll be a pint on the doorstep, ready and waiting for me. My milkman also delivers bread and other essentials, to order, as well as milk products. The milk comes from local farms and hasn't been collected at depots all round the country as supermarket milk often has been. All milk sold in shops and by milk delivery is pasteurised or sterilised or "long-life". You can still buy untreated milk but it's pretty rare. It can only be sold at the farm gate and the standard is very carefully monitored under Health & Safety rules.

Milk deliveries in one pint glass bottles were such an issue that, when we went over to metric measurements, milk was allowed to retain it's "pint" status despite EU rules. As were beer and cider (sold in pints and half pints in pubs) and miles on direction boards and speed limits, etc.
When I was very young, we used to have a milkman. It was kinda cool. He didn’t deliver anything but dairy products though. If Mom needed an extra quart of milk or a pint of cottage cheese, she’d leave a note in one of the used empty bottles that she’d set out on the porch every night for collection. Automatic recycling!

The milkman (not ours, just generally) also had quite a reputation as a roue, and was the punchline in many bawdy jokes. Jokes that, once hearing them, Millenials will get a puzzled look on their face and say “milkman???” Oy vey!

When I was very young, we used to have a milkman. It was kinda cool. He didn’t deliver anything but dairy products though. If Mom needed an extra quart of milk or a pint of cottage cheese, she’d leave a note in one of the used empty bottles that she’d set out on the porch every night for collection. Automatic recycling!

The milkman (not ours, just generally) also had quite a reputation as a roue, and was the punchline in many bawdy jokes. Jokes that, once hearing them, Millenials will get a puzzled look on their face and say “milkman???” Oy vey!
I think the philandering milkman is an urban legend in every country that ever had doorstep deliveries:). A while back we had a milk lady. Her husband broke his leg so she was filling in for him.

I thought all that’s taken out of milk to make it “skim” is fat. Is fat what makes milk milk?

All I know is when I accidentally bought a small carton of skim milk, I poured it out and thought I had water. I'm used to using whole milk and even the color of skim milk didn't look like milk.

I get a kick out of the fat phobics who demonize whole milk, insisting on skim, or reduced fat milks.

Any other food that was labeled as being 96% FAT FREE. Would be the first choice of people watching their fat intake.

I get a kick out of the fat phobics who demonize whole milk, insisting on skim, or reduced fat milks.

Any other food that was labeled as being 96% FAT FREE. Would be the first choice of people watching their fat intake.
I'm not "fat phobic" - chaq'un a son gout". I use semi-skimmed because I prefer it. Full-cream milk is vile in tea.

Oddly, I like cream when it's separated from the milk!

I use full cream milk for custard, rice pudd, soups and béchamel sauce, etc., where it's "diluted" by the rest of the ingredients. I don't drink milk on its own as I don't like it.

In the days, pre-homogenisation, when the cream sat on the top of the milk, my Grandmother (the Farmer's daughter) insisted that the first cup of tea of the day had to have the "top of the milk", ie the cream, in it. because it was good for you. She may have been right as she lived to 89 with the sharpest brain I've ever known!

These are the official levels of fat in milk sold in UK.
Butterfat contentUK Terminology5.0%Channel Island milk or breakfast milk[14]3.6%Whole milk or full fat milk[15]1.5–1.8%Semi-skimmed milk[16]1%1% milkLess than 0.3%Skimmed milk[16]

I have to say that I've never come across "1% milk". I suppose it might be used in industrial-sized food production.

There are many uses for milk:

Just listen to Youtube:" Ernie, he drove the fastest milk cart in the west"

It's hilarious - you don't always have to be serious about food!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I'm not "fat phobic" - chaq'un a son gout". I use semi-skimmed because I prefer it. Full-cream milk is vile in tea...

I have to say that I've never come across "1% milk". I suppose it might be used in industrial-sized food production.

I never said you were fat phobic.

Here in the US, milk is sold as skim - less than 0.5% fat; 1% fat; 2% fat and whole milk - 3.6% fat.

My point was that some demonize whole milk at less than 4% fat content when they would consider other foods with 4% fat content as low fat and therefore desirable.

That said, "to each his own";)

I came across a discussion of this topic that includes farmers, dairy owners, dieticians, scientists and others interested in the food industry. Apparently one of the problems with calling nut drinks "milk" is that many consumers believe that they are equivalent in nutrition to dairy milk and they're not. That can be a problem for parents of growing children who need high-quality protein and calcium.

Back
Top Bottom