When milk isn't milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then come folks like me who have to have their milk lactose free. In my late 20's (around 1975) I developed a lactose intolerance that forced me to give up milk almost entirely. Since so many good things are made with milk, I was a happy camper when they finally invented milk that I could use again. :yum:

Then come folks like me who have to have their milk lactose free. In my late 20's (around 1975) I developed a lactose intolerance that forced me to give up milk almost entirely. Since so many good things are made with milk, I was a happy camper when they finally invented milk that I could use again. :yum:
Lactose free milk is definitely a triumph of science for people with lactose intolerance, but I’m wondering, are there other dairy products that are lactose free? Cheese? Yogurt? Sour cream? I haven’t seen anything on the supermarket shelves, but I haven’t been looking.

When I was very young, three or four, my doctor posited that my allergy symptoms might be milk-related, and restricted my milk intake to skim milk. That’s consequently the only milk I can drink, although I use whole milk in cooking. And milkshakes. Turns out milk had nothing to do with my symptoms, though.

No Mjölke is at the fish dish... but yeah it gives people a problem when they dont talk Swedish.

In Sweden we have lactose free butter ( even if that low lactose by nature), cream cheese, yogurt, filmilk, sour cream, creme fraiche, buttermilk, cottage cheese, ice cream, cream and so much more. Cheese if aged 6 months and not injected with whey or milk sugar ( lactose) is lactose free.

Talking of sperm, ( not me ) ambergris, lol.

Russ

am·ber·gris
ˈambərˌɡris,ˈambərˌɡrē(s)/Submit
noun
a waxlike substance that originates as a secretion in the intestines of the sperm whale, found floating in tropical seas and used in perfume manufacture.
ambergris – sometimes referred to as “whale vomit”

Perfume made with (expensive) ambergris doesn’t bother me.

Perfume made from flowers cause my allergies to go wild.

Last edited:
Another example how the industry is trying to boost its image by associating itself with animal by products..if animal by products are so bad, then why use terms and comparisons that are common in these types of products..veggie burgers, veggie dogs, veggie bacon, almond milk, vegan chicken, the list goes on..

Last edited:
Another example how the industry is trying to boost its image by associating itself with animal by products..if animal by products are so bad, then why use terms and comparisons that are common in these types of products..veggie burgers, veggie dogs, veggie bacon, almond milk, vegan chicken, the list goes on..

I agree 100%. I never understood why if you don’t want to eat animal products why name food after animal products. Why do you want imitation food to taste like meat if animal food products repulse you?

It is to prove to us meat eater that veggie food is just like our food and taste just the same, also some want to have the meatflavour but not eating animals... So far I have never been fooled by fake meat.

I agree 100%. I never understood why if you don’t want to eat animal products why name food after animal products. Why do you want imitation food to taste like meat if animal food products repulse you?
So what would you call a veggie burger if you don't want to call it a burger?

If the manufacturers don't use "milk" on the side of the carton of soya milk what are they going to call it? "A white liquid made from soya as a substitute for milk, which you can put into your tea and coffee and you can use for drinking neat and you can use on cereal and in baking and feed to your children and your cat as well as other animals" ? Oops! That includes the forbidden word!

Stop being silly. Americans keep going on about living in the land of the free - behave like it. No vegetarian is going to hold your nose and force feed you to drink artificial "milk". Live and let live.

(Actually, I don't know whether cats can digest soya milk)

There's a word for that that pre-dates fake burgers - veggie patties.

If the manufacturers don't use "milk" on the side of the carton of soya milk what are they going to call it? "A white liquid made from soya as a substitute for milk, which you can put into your tea and coffee and you can use for drinking neat and you can use on cereal and in baking and feed to your children and your cat as well as other animals" ? Oops! That includes the forbidden word!

Wow, you built a great straw man there! [emoji38] :clap: :rolleyes:

Clearly marketing is not your forté. "Non-dairy drink" works just fine. Again, the issue is that calling these things milk and situating them with the dairy products gives the impression that they have the same nutritional value as dairy and they don't.

Stop being silly.

Stop being bossy.

Americans keep going on about living in the land of the free - behave like it. No vegetarian is going to hold your nose and force feed you to drink artificial "milk". Live and let live.

Reminder - the EU did this last year.

Soy milk? You can't call it milk, says the EU: Order to rename dairy substitutes because they do not contain produce from an animal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4605566/Soy-milk-t-call-milk-says-EU-court-justice.html

There's a word for that that pre-dates fake burgers - veggie patties.

Wow, you built a great straw man there! [emoji38] :clap: :rolleyes:

Clearly marketing is not your forté. "Non-dairy drink" works just fine. Again, the issue is that calling these things milk and situating them with the dairy products gives the impression that they have the same nutritional value as dairy and they don't.

Stop being bossy.

Reminder - the EU did this last year.

EU court orders dairy substitutes like soy milk be renamed | Daily Mail Online

Stop being silly. Americans keep going on about living in the land of the free - behave like it. No vegetarian is going to hold your nose and force feed you to drink artificial "milk". Live and let live.

(Actually, I don't know whether cats can digest soya milk)

I think GG answered that quite nicely.

When I was very young, we used to have a milkman. It was kinda cool.

Sparkletts Water in my area just took over my local bottled company that used to exchange cases of bottled water containers you put out for the delivery man every couple of weeks. For the last 40 years with me. No longer. Just too costly. Sign of the times. Now they offer only plastic containers of water, delivered, that afterwards, you either throw in the trash or re-cycle.

Try and remember that I live in an area that has treated city water, and that I cannot stand to drink that stuff, tho not "harmful."

Last edited:
Our town water is healthful to drink but the mineral flavor is not pleasant. As a result we buy gallon jugs of spring water at the supermarket for $0.50 each. We use it for drinking and coffee/tea.

Comedian Lewis Black says, "There's no such thing as soy milk. It's soy juice. But they couldn't sell soy juice, so they called it soy milk. Because anytime you say soy juice, you actually... start to gag. And they put Soy Milk in with my moo-cow milk, and it doesn't belong there, because we all know there's no such thing as soy milk 'cause there's no soy teat, is there?"

CD :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom