Ziploc Omelets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
A friend emailed me this recipe yesterday. I haven't tried it yet, but Ruthie is a great cook, and she says it works.

> ZIPLOC OMELET
>
> (This works great! Good for when all your family is together. The best
> part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet).
> Have each person write their name on a Quart-size Ziploc freezer bag
> with permanent marker.
> Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake
> to combine them.
> Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green
> pepper, tomato, salsa, etc.
> Each person adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake.
> Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.
> Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You
> can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot
> of boiling water.
> Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for
> everyone to be amazed.
> Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved
> in the process and a great conversation piece.
>
>
>
>
>
> Imagine having these ready the night before, and putting the bag in
> boiling water while you get ready for work. And in 13 minutes, you got
> a nice omelette for a quick breakfast!
>
> Try it. . . .it really works!

While this is an interesting idea it is not advisable. Ziploc says on their FAQ page that their bags are not supposed to be boiled. I have heard it can lead to chemicals leaching into the food, but I have no confirmation on that.

Here is what Ziploc says...
Can I boil in Ziploc® Brand bags?
No. Ziploc® Brand bags are not designed to withstand the extreme heat of boiling.

I wondered about that when I read the recipe. I also think 13 minutes sounds like a long time to boil the eggs.
Oh well, it looked like a good idea.

The whole post ("This works great....") has circulated around a large number of chattier sites. Maybe no one pointed out that you shouldn't boil a ziplock bag.

Well, I looked around on the web, and the Ziplock Omelet recipe is all over the place, and you said, Jen.
A lot of people have tried it, and have been pleased with the results.
And a lot of people have stressed that one must NOT boil Ziplocks.

Hmmmm....I guess I'll stick with my regular method, but I'm still tempted to try this at least once.

Why waste a perfectly good Ziplock bag? They ain't cheap, and if you have a pot to boil the water in, you have a pot to cook the eggs in -- and probably in much less time. I guess cleanup would be easier with the bag, but that's hardly worth risking some sort of chemical poisoning from the dissolved plastic.

Remember that with most chemicals, the damage to the human body is slow and cumulative, resulting in problems years later (like cigarettes and cancer, for example). Just because someone did this and didn't drop dead on the spot doesn't mean it's safe.

Constance - I'm surprised that you think that just because it's "all over the web" automatically means it's safe. Even if "lots of people have tried it & have been pleased with the results". The fact remains that these plastic bags are not meant for boiling, & toxic substances can be dissolved into the food.

Stop & think for a minute. Don't you think that if this was a terrific & safe idea, that the Ziplock people would be advertising it all over the place???!!???
This is, quite simply, just another dumb fad-of-the-moment.

Omelettes take virtually just a few minutes to make in a regular pan. I can't understand what the draw is to make one in a plastic bag. Sometimes there is absolutely no need to build a better mousetrap.

Last edited:
BreezyCooking said:
Constance - I'm surprised that you think that just because it's "all over the web" automatically means it's safe.
She actually never said that. As a matter of fact she said that she is sticking with her regular method.
BreezyCooking said:
I can't understand what the draw is to make one in a plastic bag. Sometimes there is absolutely no need to build a better mousetrap.
The draw was for backpackers. People who go camping with everything they need on their backs. One less pan or set of plates to carry is a big deal to people like that.

For those of you who would like to try this - there is a safe and easy way to do so.

IF, you have a FoodSaver vaccuum sealer - those 'pouches' are made to be used in simmering not boiling water and it would work great!

GB said:
The draw was for backpackers. People who go camping with everything they need on their backs. One less pan or set of plates to carry is a big deal to people like that.

Backpackers don't go out with a ziplock of raw eggs in their pack. They use powdered eggs.

The recipe is intended for simultaneous cooking of different omelettes for a large group, seems to me.

I actually do know of backpackers who do this. They do not like powdered eggs and will only use the real thing. They have a very elaborate way of packing the eggs so they don't break (at the top of the pack using socks and bandanas and other things they are bringing along).

That's ok if the eggs are not broken. The'll last for some days. But they wouldn't use this recipe with raw eggs, ham, etc. mixed up. :sick:

I used to backpack a lot and powdered eggs aren't that bad. I worked at EMS and got a lot of freeze dried food for free.

This recipe is for mixing up little omelettes in a bag and cooking them 6-8 at a time. And, by the way, but for the ziplock issue, this is a neat idea, IMO. Not sure if I would want to use the plastic necessary to foodsaver it.

Yes, the FoodSaver bag would work. But this omelet cooked this long is going to be tough and overdone. Just give a thought to a soft boiled egg--or even a hard boiled egg. 13 minutes will be hard boiled.

Omelet

A friend sent this to me the other day and I tried it. It did work, and I'll make these with my grandchildren the next time they visit.

You take 2 (only 2) large eggs and put them in a quart size bag. Break them up in the bag. Add other ingredients of choice. Mine had shredded cheese, diced red onion and green pepper.

Shake the bag to mix everything. Make sure all air is out of the bag, and close it.

Place the bag in rolling boiling water for 13 minutes. Cut the top off the bag and roll the omelet out.

Try it.

Oops!

I guess my "recipe" for the omelet is not new. Also, I didn't realize that the bags shouldn't be boiled.
Thanks.

We had a thread on this a while ago. I couldn't fiond it.

The bottom line was that the makers of the plastic bags don't recommend boiling food in them.

Some forms of plastic release carcinogens that can be leeched into the the plastic is in contact with when exposed to high temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom