Adjust baking time for mini loaf pans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheriberi

Assistant Cook
I just bought some mini loaf pans. If I use them instead of the regular loaf pans, do I need to adjust the baking time?

If so, would it be the same whether baking quick breads or yeast breads?

Cheryl

I'll take a shot at it, 'Elf.

All cooking times, baking or whatever, a simply general guides, for every situation differs at least a little - often a great deal.

As a smaller loaf will heat through more rapidly, that suggests the baking time will be somewhat less. But the old rule of tapping a loaf to hear a "hollow" sound is probably the surest way to check for doneness. (Short of using an insterable thermometer, of course).

I'd suggest trying one loaf and begin checking after about 12-15 minutes.

Personally, I'd prefer to err on the side of "overdone" - the resulting drier bread will taste better than the raw flour of an undercooked one.

If the 'standard' recipe says bake for 30 minutes, then I check the mini-loaves at 15-20 minutes; some take longer than others.

Thanks for coming to the rescue guys! cheriberi, let us know what you did and if it worked!! Hope to see you on the boards.

Thank you all for your advice. We are leaving for a short vacation, but I'll be back this weekend to try that bread! I appreciate your help and will let you know how it turned out.

Cheryl

Cheryl, old coot's knocking on the crust method works great for yeast breads. For checking a quick bread, just stick a tooth pick in the center and when it comes out clean (or with a few crumbs on it) the bread is done. Like marmalady said, start checking the loaves at 15-20 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom