Best Banana Bread I've Ever Had!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Audeo

Head Chef
I thought my recipe for banana-nut bread was great right up until this morning. The difference in texture and taste is incredible, and I will never make banana bread by any other recipe again!

The BEST Banana Bread

Butter a non-stick bread pan, then flour well. (The flour is really important for the bread to climb against while baking. I had not done that before, and it makes a huge difference!)

Combine and mix well the following dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside:
2 cups AP flour
1¾ cup sugar
1½ cup toasted coarsely chopped walnuts
1½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon salt

In another medium bowl, coarsely smash 3 ripe bananas (use a large spoon or spatula and don't puree the banana as it needs to be chunky)

To the bananas, add and combine: (but try not to reduce the banana chunks)

2 large eggs, beaten
6 Tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1¼ cup buttermilk or plain yogurt

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently FOLD until the flour is thoroughly moistened and no longer visible. Pour into the prepared bread pan and spread the mixture evenly across the top.

Bake in a preheated 350-degree (F) oven for 45-50 minutes.

Before, I had mixed my batter in my KitchenAid, the wet stuff first, then added the dry and mixed some more. Making banana bread with this method yields a hearty, beautiful loaf that is absolutely delicious!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been searching for that perfect banana bread recipe. Thanks again Audeo! :D

my DIL makes the best banana bread I've every eaten, but she won't turn loose with the recipe, so I'm sure going to try this one! If it's better than hers, I'll make sure to make it the next time she's here. If it's not as good as hers, I'll wrestle her to the ground till she tells me the secret!!!

Thanks Audeo!!!

First, Wasabi Woman, I like your attitude :D .

And Audeo. This looks like an incredible recipe. I will be tring it, but sith Splenda of course.. I hope the sugar isn't required for proper texture. I'll let you know.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, I'm certain that Splenda will work perfectly! ;)

WW, do let me know if you need bail bond money, should it come to blows, because I'm gonna want to see that recipe, too!!! :twisted:

MJ, always a pleasure! ;)

Edited to conserve wasted space...don't quite know what happened here! :oops:

Thank you, middie! Wish I could take credit for it, but the more appropriate one would be Otter for turning me on to America's Test Kitchen on PBS. Really, really dig the information in that show...)

This makes some off-the-charts banana bread, but one loaf at a time. The one from yesterday went fast and I fortunately had three bananas left over to answer the beg for more this morning...!

It will change your whole experience with banana bread, assuming you make yours differently, as I did!

I can't wait to try this. I love banana bread and this one looks great! I always have a few ripe bananas in the freezer waiting to be made into bread :) Thanks for sharing Audeo!!!

Hey Audeo, your recipe is very like mine, except we use chocolate chips instead of nuts (because of the allergies). All I have to say is YUM.

I bet chocolate chips in this would be outstanding! Thanks for that suggestion, Alix!

I look forward to your opinion, GB!

OK now I may need to make one with nuts and one with chocolate chips. Oh and maybe one with both :)

Thanks Audeo. We love banana bread but we've never made it. We always buy it at specialty bakeshops here that have excellent banana bread. However, if this recipe is the best one ever in your opinion, I will surely try it! I hope it's moist too because that's how we like it!

Btw, if using Splenda, is it 1:1 substitution with sugar? Thanks!

I just may try your recipe one day it sounds wunderbar, but my DH may take me to the trash if I ever alter his Banana Bread. I use my mommy's recipe and well, he says there is nothing else like it. I alternate between walnuts, ch.chips and nothing....all ways it is still good!

Thanks for sharing!

Audeo, thanks. One more way to save my bananas! If I can SAVE anything in food area it is truly appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

Chopstix, it IS moist and hearty and so full of BANANA flavor! I am truly amazed at just how good this bread is...sincerely the best I have EVER had!

Splenda would work spendidly in this recipe, and I would substitute it for sugar 1:1.

Tanis, I'd sneak this recipe on your husband just to see his reaction!

And ITK, after finding this method, I doubt that I'll ever have to freeze a banana again. Getting them to ripen fast enough has become the challenge!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Warning! I made Audeo's banana bread recipe. It came out very moist, and with good banana flavor. I did make an alteration to the recipe, as I didn't have one of the ingredants available to me at the time. I substituted hulled sunflower seeds for the walnuts. Teh sunflower seeds were good, but overpowered the rich banana flavor somewhat. I believe this recipe would have been incredible, sans the sunflower seeds. And we all know that walnuts, or even pecans, go well in most quickbreads. They lend a subtle flavor and wonderful texture, whereas the sunflower seeds flavor permeated the end product.

Be careful what you substitue in recipes. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. On the other hand, my wife loved the flavor more than if they had the walnuts. I didn't. Jsut goes to show that we all have differing tates.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

ROFL, Goodweed!!! I think it's ingenious to even try sunflower seeds! And, as you said, your wife love it. What could be more important than that!!!

Next time, try the walnuts or pecans... ;)

This recipe changed my banana bread lifestyle. I'm glad you enjoyed it, as well.

Back
Top Bottom