Bread crumbs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
I've always made my own breadcrumbs, usually just puttting them out a day or so in advance, or putting them in the oven for 7 or so minutes if I forgot. I like this because I can make the amount I want when I want it, plus it keeps my sandwich bread fresher. I see so many store-bought bread crumbs (Contadina, Panko, etc.) that I am wondering - am I missing something? While we're on bread, we don't consume a lot, so I often put part of it in the freezer (never in there for more than a week or two) - feelings on this?

I freeze my bread all the time as we don't use much at all. As long as I remember to get it out ahead of time for sandwiches, I'm fine. For toast, I just pop it in the toaster oven frozen.

I don't make my own breadcrumbs. I want to start; however we only use wheat or multi grain bread so I don't always have the kind I'd need and I've just been in the routine of the conenience of the store-bought. I'm sure it's a better quality than what I purchase.

I don't have to worry much about leftover bread as we live close to a duck pond. I'm happy to go visit the ducks and share the stale stuff with them! :D

We eat a lot of bread, but I save the heels by leaving them out to dry out thoroughly. When I have enough, I throw them into a ziploc bag and pound the snot out of them with a rolling pin. Then store in Tupperware.

If I can talk the family into it, sometimes I make bread pudding instead.

Yes it is, PA. I have two pins - one for each hand. Used one last night to beat the crap out of salt and vinegar potato chips a la Lifter to coat our fish with. Felt wonderful after.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom