Bread crumbs or Panko?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Not sure where to put this thread. I prefer Panko, it's lighter for shrimp, crabcakes or whatever you would use breadcrumbs .

Well Panko actually is bread crumbs. They are just a different shape and texture than normal bread crumbs. Panko sure is great stuff though.

After discovering panko a number of years ago, I almost exclusively use it for all breading and frying applications. When a recipe calls for bread crumbs to be added as a filler, I still use regular dry bread crumbs. Especially when seasoned Italian crumbs are required.

I may try using panko in meat loaf after seeing Martha Stewart using it this week in a meat loaf.

There's nothing like panko-crusted fried fish. Yum, double yum! So light and crisp!!!

After discovering panko a number of years ago, I almost exclusively use it for all breading and frying applications. When a recipe calls for bread crumbs to be added as a filler, I still use regular dry bread crumbs. Especially when seasoned Italian crumbs are required.

I may try using panko in meat loaf after seeing Martha Stewart using it this week in a meat loaf.

There's nothing like panko-crusted fried fish. Yum, double yum! So light and crisp!!!

Well, I will just have to say "ditto" on everything - thanks for doing my typing for me Katie E! :LOL:

Well Panko actually is bread crumbs. They are just a different shape and texture than normal bread crumbs. Panko sure is great stuff though.

I know Panko is bread crumbs too, just a different kind ;) If I am making chicken cutlets I use the Italian seasoned bread crumbs but for other applications, the Panko. :chef:

I know Panko is bread crumbs too, just a different kind ;) If I am making chicken cutlets I use the Italian seasoned bread crumbs but for other applications, the Panko. :chef:

Same here, LadyCook. I use both, but depends on the recipe & texture I want. I use seasoned Italian bread crumbs in most recipes - or where I want a heartier texture/crust/crumb, i.e. chicken parmesan (& add parm cheese to the mix) or meatloaf. Panko, imo is finer & best used for recipes that need some finer adhering crumbs i.e. seafood.

Last edited:
I have heard of all kinds of recipes utilizing panko but I cannot find them anywhere! They would be by the regular bread crumbs, right?

Sometimes they are on the Ethnic isle with the Japanese food products. I find the whole wheat ones on the baking isle with stuff like flax seed and rice flour. Ask. Don't ask just a cashier because sometimes they don't know - go to Customer Service and have someone look it up.

I use panko almost exclusively since I learned about them here at DC. I think they are especially good when breading seafood. But I didn't know they came seasoned - thanks for posting that, Corazon.

I have heard of all kinds of recipes utilizing panko but I cannot find them anywhere! They would be by the regular bread crumbs, right?
Where I shop (the Superstore, a Loblaws thing I think) they are in the Sushi section, by the nori/ginger/wasabi

Al I use now is Panko- since DH is on low sodium - 60mg compaired to 250mg ! We all enjoy it - I season them myself, very nice.

Back
Top Bottom