Bread without yeast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHAMALICIOUS

Senior Cook
Has anyone got a reallly good tried and tested recipe for a loaf of bread? That doesnt use yeast? Ive never made bread before, but it sounds like you all like making bread, so i thought ok ill have a go n see what its like lol :chef: so i bought a loaf tin last week. I wanted to try it out. First ill try making some bread and then perphaps meatloaf, and i think i seen a good recipe here for salmonloaf also. Yummmy. Thanks. :) :)

Well, a bread made without yeast is called a 'quick bread'. Here's one I use a lot, very easy, you can dress it up with cheese, onion, garlic -

QUICK BEER BREAD
3 cups self-rising flour
3T sugar
12oz.beer or ale

Preheat oven to 350. Butter a bread pan. Mix everything together lightly, and bake for 1 hour. After 20 minutes, brush the top of the bread with melted butter, and repeat every 10 minutes til done.

I suppose you could use unsweetened soda water; I've never tried it, tho.

I see you're from Scotland - seems like I've seen many Scots 'quick' bread recipes, using oatmeal, but I don't have any on hand. Perhaps Ishbel can chime in here!:)

marmalady said:
I suppose you could use unsweetened soda water; I've never tried it, tho.

I see you're from Scotland - seems like I've seen many Scots 'quick' bread recipes, using oatmeal, but I don't have any on hand. Perhaps Ishbel can chime in here!:)

Is unsweetened soda water quite easily available? Ive never heard of it :ermm: I dont think ill try that though, id prefer something thats definite to work. Oooh. oatmeal bread. sounds interesting lol. Thanks marmalady. Yeeeeh. Come on Ishbel :chef:

Gretchen i havent heard of seltzer water either :blush: or sans yeast lol. Ive got self raising flour, is that the same thing?

Piccolina i havent tried soda bread before. But i dont mind giving it a go. Thanks for the recipes! I quite like the brown soda bread recipe, it sounds very simple too.

If anyone has a seed bread recipe,thatd be really nice! :chef:

What about naan or pori? Google it, lots of recipies.

And as for the soda water, it is like all the traditional irish soda breads of the days of old.

Back
Top Bottom