Brown Bread assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dit

Assistant Cook
I found a recipe for Boston Brown Bread. I don't drink coffee so have no coffee cans. Any ideas on what I can use as a cooking vessel? How about a bundt pan? A regular bread pan? Soup cans for mini-loaves? Thanks!!

:( No responses...guess I will have to break down and buy some Folgers at the gro! Any thoughts for what I can cook brown bread in since i don't have coffee? I can't think of anything else that comes in large cans like that. Cookie tins?

I would think you should be able to make it in almost any pan you like. If it calls for a coffee can you could use a spingform baking pan to get it done. I would be willing to bet you could almost use anything that you use in the oven with high enough sides. Good luck.

Thanks Lefty, guess I will try a loaf pan and make a small batch and see how it turns out.

i've never heard of baking in a coffee can, dit.

be careful with cans nowadays, though. many of them have plastic or latex liners in them.

I would bake in a regular loaf pan, or similar. Was it an old recipe you had? I doubt anybody bakes in the old can nowadays. It used to be popular at one time when pans were not redily available you could use any empty can.

I was fortunate a few months ago to watch a woman make Boston Brown Bread in old coffee cans that date back to the 1930's. I wish I had my camera, but didn't have it that night. The important part of baking this bread is that the can is kept covered. Here is the recipe and directions:

Boston Brown Bread

1 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup molasses
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2/3 Cup all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
2-1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 Cup raisins
2-2/3 Cup buttermilk
3 Cups Graham flour or Whole Wheat flour

Mix well. Bake in two well-greased coffee cans (1 lb size) with screw tops, or cover other cans with foil and tie tightly. Leave a little room at the top of the can for the bread to expand.

Bake at 375° F for 60 minutes. When done, allow cans to cool for about ½ hour, then invert and shake out the bread.

Well, I made it a couple of years ago in two 1 lb coffee cans, and steamed them in a pan of water on top of the stove. Good, but not better than the stuff you can already buy in a can.

Googling recipes suggest that you can use molds, loaf pans, large juice cans, and/or multiple smaller cans in place of the coffee cans. And either bake in a pan of water in the oven, or steam it on the stove. As JoeV said, the bread needs to be covered tightly.

Lee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom