Cheesy Spoon Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Cheesy Spoon Bread
301427.jpg

[size=-1]Yield:[/size] [size=-1]6 servings[/size]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]3/4 cup [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Nonfat Dry Milk[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]1/2 cup [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Yellow Corn Meal[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]2 cups [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]water[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]1 1/4 cups [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1](5 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]3 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]large eggs, separated[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]2 tbsp [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]margarine or butter[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]1/4 tsp [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]baking powder[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Procedures[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]1[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica]PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 1½-quart casserole dish.[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]2[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica]COMBINE dry milk and corn meal in large saucepan. Stir in water. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, egg yolks, margarine and baking powder.[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]3[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica]BEAT egg whites in small mixer bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into corn meal mixture lightly but thoroughly. Pour into prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica].[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica]4[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica]BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden and filling is set. Serve warm.[/font]

That looks absolutely (drool) wonderful. I have made spoonbread before but either I was a nitwit or the recipe was. Was more like mush than spoonbread I have been served. Nobody in family liked it. It was just a plain cornmeal one. Guess I will have to try that one out. Think....spicy chili and soothing spoonbread to cut the heat. Ummmmmmmm, too bad I can't eat spicy foods. :ROFLMAO:

I've never had spoon bread...
do they call it that because you have to eat it with a spoon? Is it softer or more crumbly than regular corn bread??

The spoonbread I had was a little moister than dressing. I am not sure why they call it spoonbread except that you always see it being dished up with a spoon as would be too soupy to use a fork. I enjoyed it, but what I ate was just a corn meal type of spoonbread and wasn't anything fancy. :)

CHEESY SPOONBREAD!! Sweet. I have never tried cheesey spoonbread but spoonbread is readily available in Kentucky. I remember it mostly around the holidays but never with cheese. May have to make a stuffed chicken with potatoes and some cheesy spoonbread. Thanks for the recipe.

bryan

Made the spoonbread and it was excellent. My wife (native Chicagoan) had never tried spoonbread and she loved it as well. The only change I made was I added about a cup of roasted corn kernels. I am interested to make it again with chipotle peppers or maybe with Blue cheese.

Thanks for sharing. I am going to call my Mom in Kentucky and see if she will part with her recipe. It may take a while because she will mail it to me, but I will share if I get it.

bryan

Sounds like it was a hit. Oh, please play around with it, tweak it and let us know your results.

Back
Top Bottom