Collaborative bread thread for whole wheat/multi-grain/whole grain breads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
reply to DinaFine

I made the Challah recipe from Peter Reinharts book, Not really happy with the results.
I'm not sure whether you're referring to the recipe from Reinhart's recently published book, Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor or my DC post Whole Wheat Challah where I mentioned that the food blog 101 Cookbooks - Recipe Journal gave the recipe and instructions for a
transitional, 50% percent whole wheat challah

The one thing I might suggest is to make the recipe as written - that is, don't include millet.

If the recipe you used is from the 101 Cookbooks food blog, maybe you can contact the blog author directly from her site.

If the recipe is from Reinhart's new book, I can't help you as I don't (yet) own it.

[594]

Last edited:
100% whole wheat dinner rolls

posted on 100% WW dinner rolls | The Fresh Loaf by KipperCat on November 2007 - includes full recipe, instructions and photos

img_572265_0_0189a27dd9e7a52f439c0daa59059dc7.jpg

...failures, successes

My honey tried bread as much as possible. It wasn't until this past week when he made a pizza dough that ended up more like a bread than a pizza dough. It was delicious and well worth the tiny little lumps he tried previously. Now I know we will have bread a lot. But you should have seen him...defeated loaf after loaf when they required to be risen. Soda bread was perfect - dense and all, but the Portuguese sweet bread (tasted great, just needed that rising) was good and the loaf bread was good too. Guess we will have to see.

Yeah. as i mentioned in another thread, I got fed up with that shoebox cardboard they cal a pizza crust up here. They call the stuff on a pizza "toppings" for a reason right? On a burger the toppings are an adjunct to the burger... why a thin crust on a pizza? SO I made my own. In the process, I discovered a few things. One. Yeast that does not activate can be rescued and made to work. Two. One batch of pizza dough can definately make 2 decent pizzas. I made one in my desperation for a real crust, and it came out THICK With that craving squelched, and my new found skill with yeast, I'm gonna take another run at a few breads that are currently not in the "win" column for me. There is something to be said for being stubborn and persistant in the kitchen...

I've made pumpernickel bread using the recipe from Artisan bread 5 min a day cookbook. Turned out tasty. Also have made bread using white whole wheat. Also made rye bread.

Mmm. Looks gooood. I have been trying some different things lately. Will post some pictures / recipes soon if I remember ;) Last one was a slightly sour sun-dried tomato / onion whole wheat (little bit of rye) bread.

Honey Wheat Sandwich Bread - 100% Whole Grain

I found this recipe at www.applepiepatispate.com/bread/honey-wheat-sandwich-bread-whole-grain

The recipe makes one 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch pan loaf
honey-wheat-sandwich-bread-whole-grain-sliced.jpg

This link has everything I look for in a bread recipe. Ingredient measurements are given both by weight (ounces and grams) as well as volume. There are *detailed* instructions and additonal photos to guide the baker.

I have not made this yet, but I intend to do so soon. If you chose to make it, please post your experience and evaluation of the final product to this thread, as this will guide me in my efforts.

Yum. I will definitely try it, but probably not in the next few days. I will post when I do.

Thanks for reviving this thread - there is some nice info in here!

flukx on Feb 19 said:
I will definitely try it, but probably not in the next few days. I will post when I do. Thanks for reviving this thread - there is some nice info in here!
Since you are in Germany, should you make this bread, I would be *very interested* in the flour(s) that you use.

I am in the USA. I no longer purchase whole wheat flour. Instead I purchase whole wheat grain and home-mill the wheat into flour using an electric grain mill (I use the Nutrimill grain mill.)
nutrimill.jpg

Since I mill my own flour from whole grain, my flour may not have the properties that you would use.

That said, I would be very interested if you would bake this bread according to the recipe posted and I will do the same.

Please post back when you have tried this recipe. I will test this recipe also - I should be able to make it in about 2 weeks.

Looking forward to hearing from you - SF

Back
Top Bottom