Cornbread recipe Adjustments.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
https://www.blessthismessplease.com/the-best-cornbread-recipe/

I tried this recipe except I used an 8" by 8" cake pan and used butter versus oil. It tasted alright but found after 25 minutes was a little liquid inside when trying to cut into it. Toothpick came out clean after 25 minutes but to make sure it was totally cooked gave it 30 minutes total. It raised up a lot in the middle but not much at all on edges. It tended to be very crummy and fell apart too easily. Maybe try 2 eggs or add another binder? And also wasn't sweet enough. Any suggestions?

Maybe a bit more butter, and add some honey.

Here is my favorite cornbread recipe (think I got it from Bob's Red Mill). I make mine in muffin cups which cuts down on baking time and makes things more consistent…

70g corn meal
60g AP flour
6g baking powder
45g sugar
2g kosher salt
125g milk
1 egg
1/4 stick butter (melted and cooled)
80g honey

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Into a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the whole milk, egg, butter, and honey. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.

Place muffin paper liners in a 6-cup muffin tin. Evenly divide the cornbread mixture into the papers. Bake for 18 minutes, until golden.

The crumbly nature of the finished bread and the sweetness were both addressed on the website. The author said: "It’s sweet but not over the top, soft but not cakey, and crumbly without being a plain mess."

I think you should just try another recipe. There are more cornbread recipes out there than grains of sand on the beach. Find one that has the texture and sweetness you like.

I use a recipe from a Boston restaurant that's more cakey and kinda sweet if you're interested.

The crumbly nature of the finished bread and the sweetness were both addressed on the website. The author said: "It’s sweet but not over the top, soft but not cakey, and crumbly without being a plain mess."

I think you should just try another recipe. There are more cornbread recipes out there than grains of sand on the beach. Find one that has the texture and sweetness you like.

I use a recipe from a Boston restaurant that's more cakey and kinda sweet if you're interested.

It was a plain mess.

Not every recipe on the internet is a winner. Some are just awful.

LOL… people are different. Picture a local restaurant that after single (or multiple) visits you vowed to never return to because it always sucked. Now check out how many 4 or 5 star reviews it has on Yelp or Google.

:ROFLMAO:

This cornbread is a winner. Using both buttermilk, and sour cream reduces the liquid in the batter, giving a moist, almost cake-like crumb, while pouring the batter into a pre-heated cast iron pan gives a delightfully crunchy crust.

https://www.seriouseats.com/sweet-moist-northern-style-cornbread-recipe

If you don't want to make cornbread from scratch, Jiffy brand cornbread mix makes a very easy cornbread that's great with jelly, jam, honey, etc.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This cornbread is a winner. Using both buttermilk, and sour cream reduces the liquid in the batter, giving a moist, almost cake-like crumb, while pouring the batter into a pre-heated cast iron pan gives a delightfully crunchy crust.

https://www.seriouseats.com/sweet-moist-northern-style-cornbread-recipe

If you don't want to make cornbread from scratch, Jiffy brand cornbread mix makes a very easy cornbread that's great with jelly, jam, honey, etc.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I was out of flour one time when I wanted to make cornbread, so I decided to make it without, using 2 cups of cornmeal. It was the best, corniest [emoji16] cornbread I've ever had. Since it's not a yeast bread, it doesn't need the gluten in flour for its structure. I've been making it that way ever since.

I was out of flour one time when I wanted to make cornbread, so I decided to make it without, using 2 cups of cornmeal. It was the best, corniest [emoji16] cornbread I've ever had. Since it's not a yeast bread, it doesn't need the gluten in flour for its structure. I've been making it that way ever since.

Interrrresting.:)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of thge North

If you compare cornbread recipes from the South with those from the North, you'll find that often southern recipes contain no wheat flour and little or no sugar. Northern cornbreads tend to be more cake like. At least that's what Uncle Bob told me.

If you compare cornbread recipes from the South with those from the North, you'll find that often southern recipes contain no wheat flour and little or no sugar. Northern cornbreads tend to be more cake like. At least that's what Uncle Bob told me.
That's true. I was raised in Michigan, though, so I like a sweet cornbread. He gave me his secret recipe years ago and (shhhhhh), I add sugar [emoji38]

That's true. I was raised in Michigan, though, so I like a sweet cornbread. He gave me his secret recipe years ago and (shhhhhh), I add sugar [emoji38]

Mine is a sweet recipe as well. It's supposed to be made is a 12" CI skillet but I make muffins with the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom