Crunchy topping for muffins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Do you know how to get the crunchy topping on a muffin to look nice? When I go to coffee houses, the topping on their muffins always look perfect, covers every inch of the muffin and is uniform in thickness.

When I make muffins at home and put a crunchy top on it, as it bakes and expands, the muffins don't look as nice. After I pour the batter into the paper muffin cups, I put the topping on and try to press it to the batter hoping it will stick better. Any thoughts? I usually use a variety of stuff in the topping: butter, flour, brown sugar, rolled oats.

I took a picture of the muffins I made last night and will try to post it when I get home so you can see how mine turned out.

htc, I usually let my muffins cook a bit before putting the topping on. Then if it doesn't look right when they come out I add a bit more til it looks good. I have to say though, that if they TASTE good, no one cares what they look like!

I haven't tried this, htc, but it may work:

Bake your muffins without toppings until almost done. Then take them out of the oven and dip the tops in a generous amount of topping to make sure the surface is covered. Pop back in oven to finish baking.

The idea being that mostly-cooked muffins won't still be too mushy to handle or fall out of their liners (if you use them).

Thanks for the tip. I will try to partially bake them before I top.

The muffins always taste good, but I have really been trying to put an emphasis on the appearance of my baked goods. I usually don't care and they taste good but look ugly, so now I've moved to the next step. taste good AND look good! :D If I make some next week, I'll post to let you knwo how it turned out.

Back
Top Bottom