DOES ANYONE HAVE A GERMAN BREAD RECIPE ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mssrussell

Assistant Cook
Hi....i am german and live for the passed 13 years in the USA. I love it here but I miss desperatly my german bread. Can anyone give me a recipe for it? A simple one, I dont want ant cinnamon or other stuff in it, just plain yeast, water and flour recipe. PLEAE HELP!!!!!!!!! [/b]

Well, mssrussell, You have given yourself the recipe, if what you want is just flour, yeast, and water. That is quite sufficient to make a nice loaf of basic white bread, whether it be German, French, of Martian.

As has been posted on this forum several times, simply add a packet of yeast to a cup of water, then stir in flour until a blob of dough forms on the spoon. Knead it by folding and flattening on a floured surface until smooth and elastic - about ten minutes.

Form it into a ball, put it in an oiled bowl, cover it with a cloth and let it rise in a warm place until twice as big. Form it into the loaf shape you want, and put it on a baking sheet or in a laof pan, again letting it rise until twice as big.

Bake in a 350-375 oven for abot 30 minuts, or until a nice brown and gives off a hollow sound when tapped.

Cool on a wire rack to prevent sogginess.

(This will result in a loaf weighing about 1 lb or a little more. and will be a heavy, rather dense white bread.)

German Farmer's Bread:

1 1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup brown sugar

Mix above dry ingredients together. Add 2 cups buttermilk and mix well. Turn into a greased casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Turn out of bowl and cool on rack.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom