First Sourdough NYT Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeV

Washing Up
Ok, Bubble-icious (my sourdough starter) contributed 1/4 Cup of itself for this loaf of NYT, in lieu of the 1/4 t of Instant Yeast. While only about 5 days young, Bubble-icious provided a nice rise and a slightly sour taste to the finished bread. I got tied up on a job today, so the dough actually sat on the counter for 21 hours before I was able to turn it out, and I let it rise for 2 hours before baking because I had to go out to bid a job (this work is getting in the way of my baking :LOL:). I was surprised to see that the crumb developed smaller than with commercial yeast, and I'm not sure if that's what's to be expected from working with a sourdough starter. Anyone have any thoughts about that or firsthand experience with starter and NYT?

img_629013_0_b813b736ae5b4798395fbae17b41899f.jpg

img_629013_1_f9ae7497cd6dbc8d3fd0886444bf47a5.jpg

Joe

Wow, that looks gorgeous. I love sourdough bread. Mind posting the entire recipe? I don't bake a lot, so hopefully someone else will chime in re: the crumb, but it looks delish to me :)

Wow, that looks gorgeous. I love sourdough bread. Mind posting the entire recipe? I don't bake a lot, so hopefully someone else will chime in re: the crumb, but it looks delish to me :)

I don't mind posting the recipe, but it's the basic No-Knead recipe using 1/4 Cup of starter instead of the 1/4 Teaspoon of instant yeast. Check out the NYT thread at http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/ny-times-bread-recipe-what-fun-28893.html for more details so you an understand the process, then make the yeast/starter substitution.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom