Help deciphering a bread recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
This is my late grandmother's bread recipe. We have never made it and the recipe is written on a sheet of paper that is falling apart and some of the directions are missing.

Brown Bread (no knead)

2 c boiling water
1 c quick oatmeal
1/3 c shortening
1/2 c light molasses
4 t salt
2 packages of yeast
2 beaten eggs
5 1/2 c flour

Combine water, shortening, salt. Cool to luke warm - add yeast. Blend in eggs and molasses. Add flour 2 cups at a time. Grease bowl and bread...

Store in refrig for 2 hours....

Okay so that's all I have - I wish I had a scanner so you could see this.

Do you think 1/3 c shortening sounds correct? Think I can use butter instead?

Does 1/2 c molasses sound right?

When should I add the quick oatmeal?

Why does it say store in the frigde? Perhaps this is an option instead of a direction?

At the bottom of the page there is something else for 2 hours and then no cooking time. What do you think the other thing for 2 hours is? What should the cooking time/temp be?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! I'm just not experienced enough to know how to read this right.

Jeni

Here is one posted by a friend on another site. Perhaps you can tell what you need from this:
2 cups oatmeal
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
3 cups boiling water

Scald above and cool.

Add:
2/3 cup molasses
2 cups cold water
yeast dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
Flour--about 7 cups

(2 more cups to knead)

Let raise, punch down, put in pans, let raise
Bake at 325F for 35-40 minutes.

Thanks Licia - I'm trying it right now - waiting for the bread to rise. It is a favorite of my dad's and he hasn't had it in 20 years so I thought this would be nice for him.

Thanks - I actually remember my grandma making this bread. The smell of the molasses triggered the memory. What a terrible smell but an interesting experience.

My grandmother's recipe is close to yours.

Her instructions say to cool the boiling water slightly then add the oatmeal.(first instruction)

It calls for only 2 tablespoons of butter.

Thanks everyone! It turned out great! Super moist, smells good. The tops got a little too brown, but nothing unedible and doesn't take away from the taste (still servable). They are also very uneven loaves size wise and I didn't do a very good job of shaping them.

I found this recipe to be harder to work with dough wise. I was afraid to add too much flour.

Oh, and here is what I did for the recipe (if anyone is curious):

Brown Bread (no knead)

2 c boiling water
1 c quick oatmeal
1/3 c butter
1/2
c light molasses
4 t salt
2 packages of yeast
2 beaten eggs
5 1/2 c flour

Combine water, shortening,salt. Cool to luke warm - add yeast. Blend in eggs and molasses. Add flour 2 cups at a time.

I didn't put it in the refridgerator, I couldn't tell if that was supposed to be part of the recipe or for making later or what. I just let it rise for an hour or so, punched down, made loaves and let it rise again before baking. 350 for 40 minutes.

BAKING BREAD IS SO MUCH FUN!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom