Homemade bread, your favorite recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grew up with a basic white bread recipe.

The basic white bread can be used for bread, rolls, cinnamon rolls, pizza etc...

2 T butter or oil
2 t salt
2 T sugar or honey
1 cup hot milk
1 cup hot water
1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
6 cups, more or less, AP flour or bread flour.

Put yeast into a small bowl with 1/4 cup warm water, 110-115 degrees F, for about 5 minutes and let it foam. In a large mixing bowl put the hot milk, hot water, salt, sugar and shortening and let it cool to lukewarm, add yeast and 3 cups of flour and beat until smooth. Continue adding flour until a soft dough begins to form, dump onto a board and continue kneading 6 to 8 minutes, gradually adding just enough flour to give you a smooth, elastic, soft, slightly sticky dough. Put the dough into a greased bowl and cover loosely with a clean dish towel, let rise until double in bulk. Deflate the dough and shape into 2 loaves, place in greased pans, cover and allow to double in bulk. Bake in a 425 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 375 and bake for another 30-40 minutes. Remove from pans, grease tops with butter or paint them with milk and allow to cool on a wire rack.

This is good if made with the water that potatoes are boiled in and even a cup of so of mashed potato added with the liquid ingredients. You can also use a cup or so of leftover cooked oatmeal. A bench scraper makes the job of kneading by hand much easier also greasing your hands with a little butter or oil makes the job a little easier. Good luck!

Last edited:
The starch from potatoes works so well in bread, gives it a wonderfully soft texture.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Thanks you guys for sharing your different types of bread. DH bought me a bread maker for Christmas so I've been putting it to good use. So far I've made 2 loaves of raisin bread, white bread and cinnamon rolls. The cinnamon rolls didn't turn out the best. Used the bread maker to make the dough but it came out like a liquid after it had been kneaded. Guess I'll have to try those again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

My favorite beer batter bread:

3 cups flour (sifted!!!!!)
3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1/4 cup sugar
1 (12 ounce) can beer at room temp., I like to use brown ale but whatever floats your boat will work
1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix dry ingredients and beer. Pour into a greased loaf loaf pan. Pour the melted butter over mixture. Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

That's the basic recipe but I like to add shredded cheese and herbs or green onions.

Very delicious!

Last edited:
Cottage Cheese Dill Bread

1 tbsp. instant yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. minced fresh onion
1 tbsp. of fresh dill, minced (I just use a good squirt of the dill-in-a-tube stuff.)
1 1/2 tbsp. salt
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1 egg
1 tsp. olive oil
3 to 3 1/2 cups bread flour (It depends on how wet your cottage cheese is and how humid your weather is. I live in the tropics so I usually need the extra flour.)

Dissolve yeast in the warm water in your mixing bowl. Use the paddle attachment to start. Add all the ingredients except your flour and mix that together. Change to your dough hook and start adding the flour one cup at a time until you have a soft dough that clears the side of the mixing bowl. Knead on low speed for 5 to 6 minutes.

Transfer dough to a oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel or cling wrap. Let rise for 1 1/2 hours. After dough has doubled punch down and shape into loaf. Place loaf in a greased loaf pan and let rise again for 30 to 45 minutes.

When dough has again doubled bake at 350 degree's for 30 minutes. At the 30 minute mark cover the dough loosely with foil and continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.

This is the best bread for a meatloaf sandwich!

I've noticed a lot of bread recipes normally call for Bread Flour. What's the difference between using Bread Flour, Self Rising Flour or All purpose flour?!

I've noticed a lot of bread recipes normally call for Bread Flour. What's the difference between using Bread Flour, Self Rising Flour or All purpose flour?!

Bread flour, or strong flour is made from hard wheat with high gluten (in Britain it mainly comes from Canada). As I understand it, it's stronger than American all-purpose flour which is stronger than British plain flour. It's best used for yeast baking - bread, pizza, etc.

Self raising flour is a "soft" flour which is used a lot in home-baking in the UK. It has chemical raising agents added to it before packing and is used mostly for cakes. Do not exceed the sell-by date as the raising agents can loose their potency.

Plain flour is also a "soft" flour, (used in the UK at least) for pastry, cakes if you prefer to add your own baking powder, and sauces, etc.

The above is an over simplification. This might help:

Flour - Kitchen Dictionary - Food.com

Last edited:
Bread flour has a higher gluten content than all purpose flour. We don't have all purpose flour in Australia, it's called plain flour. Self raising flour has baking powder added. I always buy plain flour and just add the rising agent, that way, I never run out of flour.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

My favourite bread ( at this moment) is rye and caraway seed bread. My hubby even eats it with marmalade. No accounting for taste, is there?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom