Homemade flour tortillas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Does anyone make their own flour tortillas? I'm just curious to learn your recipes. I use flour, salt, baking powder, shortening and water on my dough. Does anyone use anything different?

Hi, Dina. Just flour, oil, a touch of salt and warm water, here. In my book, any tortilla that's homemade is the best! (Even though I also use the reduced-carb Mission and Carb Chopper ones, too.)

Cindy

Dina, I use the same recipe as you do most times. I use the same for making fry bread too; although I will add powdered milk sometimes for the fry bread. When my family wants the really thin tortillas, I leave out the baking powder.

I've been wanting to try making these for the last several years, but am not sure about the process. Do you have a special tool like a press? Saw a tortilla maker in a catalog several years back, kind of like a waffle iron, but flat plates, so I asked my hubby for one for christmas. I ended up with a quesadilla maker. Close, but not right! That thing's been collecting dust ever since!

I roll mine out with a rolling pin because I can make them any size that I need. We like huge tortillas mostly, the tortilla press would be good I guess for making corn tortillas. I roll those out myself too.

Could I impose on any of you to give me some aproximate proportions for the ingredients please? I would love to try this myself, but have not found a good recipe.

Back
Top Bottom