Hot milk and toast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
Has anyone ever had toast with hot milk poured over it, with salt and pepper, or am I the only one who grew up eating this? I like it so much I get cravings for it, but I don't eat it often because it grosses my bf out lol. Bf is gone for the day, so I'm going to go make myself some milk toast... ::yum::

oops, but to answer your question, no, I have never had warm milk over toast, just bechemel type gravies with asparagus tips or something else included. Eggs Goldenrod comes to mind, too.

Has anyone ever had toast with hot milk poured over it, with salt and pepper, or am I the only one who grew up eating this? I like it so much I get cravings for it, but I don't eat it often because it grosses my bf out lol. Bf is gone for the day, so I'm going to go make myself some milk toast... ::yum::

Skittle, my dad used to eat that all the time when his stomach ulcers would "act up". I'm not sure if he used salt and pepper as that might have been an irritant. I've never tried it, but can imagine it would be "soothing" comfort food, but a little bland for me :). Enjoy your trip down
"memory lane". :)

Skittle, my dad used to eat that all the time when his stomach ulcers would "act up". I'm not sure if he used salt and pepper as that might have been an irritant. I've never tried it, but can imagine it would be "soothing" comfort food, but a little bland for me :). Enjoy your trip down
"memory lane". :)

You're right- it is pretty bland, but good comfort food. My grandma was always more than happy to feed it to us, because none of the three kids in my family liked to drink milk, and of course she believed all the dairy association commercials that told her milk is an absolutely necessary part of a healthy diet. So it was a way to get milk down our throats without any fighting lol.

I'm with bf on this one, but I'm not there either, so enjoy! :)

My gramma used to make this and would put a slice of toast on her coffee cup saucer and pour hot milk over it. Never used a bowl. Since the saucer was shallow, she refilled it as the toast soaked up the milk and as she ate it. We got to have some with sugar sprinkled, but it was not a favorite grandkid food. She also gave us kids "coffee" - hardly any in the cup with lots of milk poured in. Fun to drink from an adult cup.

I wouldn't care if it grossed out by BF, I would enjoy my toast and hot milk when ever I felt like it... with lots of butter and salt and pepper and I do. My dad made that for us often. My mother made it with coffee and milk.

I wouldn't care if it grossed out by BF, I would enjoy my toast and hot milk when ever I felt like it... with lots of butter and salt and pepper and I do. My dad made that for us often. My mother made it with coffee and milk.

Breakfast is one of the meals that we are both home for the most often (we work somewhat opposite schedules) so we usually make something we can both enjoy :) I'm sure I would get sick of it if I had it all the time anyway. It's a nice treat for me tho :)

Making this is in my near future. Kind of what you are talking about, with the addition of an egg :yum:

Quaker Kitchen Milk Poached Eggs Over Toast - YouTube

Pac, I tried this for lunch today.....I was not impressed :(. The egg poached perfectly, but the toast and milk didn't do anything for me. Maybe because I used a very high fiber multigrain bread for the toast and the milk was 1%. Maybe if it was white bread and full fat milk which I suspect the video maker used, it might be improved upon.

Thanks for the feedback, Somebun.
It's good to hear it cooked well, but my only thought was was you said, whether or not a person has a taste for the milk on toast. I don't like warm milk at all, but I love milk gravies, so we'll see. And I always have white bread and whole milk on hand, so no problem there.

At my Grandpa's house, it was cold milk, in a bowl with untoasted white bread and sugar. I used to eat it, and didn't mind it. It wasn't my favorite. They made much nicer breakfast meals than that. I used to love the half grapefruit with sugar, or the freshly sliced, ripe cantalope.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

at our home, we used to have crumbled saltine crackers with hot milk and sugar.
I still like it.....it's just a little salty, from the crackers, but I liked it sweetened with a tsp of sugar. Makes a nice pre-bedtime snack.

I have to say I have never had hot milk on toast. To be honest, I had never even heard of it before now.

My Mom used to make creamed "fill-in-the-blank" on toast with the blank being anything from mushrooms to turkey to ham and peas (my favourite has always been mushrooms). For breakfast in the winter on the prairies we would often have hot chocolate with toast and peanut butter but never combined.

I find this interesting. If there comes a day when I can have both toast and milk I want to try this and/or any of the combinations you all have mentioned! :)

Last edited:
For me it was always a hot cup of cocoa made with evaporated milk and two pieces of toast before I headed out the door to school. :angel:

I was never fond of meat growing up so I used to eat the gravy from my moms stews on buttered toast and dig out all the veggies to eat on the side.

Now that I make my own food I just mash my veggies and put them on the toast. I still prefer veg over meat.

We sometimes have a scoop of warm rice with milk poured over and some brown sugar. Seems like it's very similar. Kind of bland but very comforting and easy on a squirrely stomach.

When I went shopping I picked up a box of Keebler's Toasteds Buttercrisp crackers. An impulse purchase. I don't buy crackers. The carb bit. So while watching TV, I opened the box and got a small glass of milk. I took a bite of the cracker and a sip of milk. I was so surprised.

Do any of you remember the Nabisco Lunch Milk Crackers? My mother used to buy them and break them up in a bowl for me and pour milk over them. I loved them. And when my kids came along, they had them also. Then slowly the price started to creep up. They are close to $5.00 a box and less crackers in the box. I haven't bought them in eons. Don't even look at them on the shelf. But the Keebler's crackers tasted almost just like them. A tad sweeter than the Nabisco ones I grew up with. So in the future I might consider buying them again. I did get a small bowl and break them up so I could pour the milk over them. A childhood memory revisited. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom