How do you Bagel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For breakfast I like chopped herring on fresh bagels, for lunch chopped liver, for dinner antacid tablets.

Saves time:)
Mint or fruit flavored antacid? I like mint. LOL

I like my bagels untoasted with just cream cheese. UNLESS they are frozen Lender's onion bagels. Those I like toasted and buttered first than a schmear of cream cheese.

I love bagel with lox. I used to order right from the factory in Washington. Cannot remember the name, it was divine. But very expensive. I would still be ordering, but the minimum order was like 20 pounds or something. I used to get a group of people and do it. But then, years, ago, Sam's started carrying lox, mediocre and inferior, but almost third of the price. Nobody wants to spend money. Cheap.
Also I like to make my own salmon cream cheese, bothhot or cold smoked, or strawberry, mmmmmm, my son likes chives, so I make that too. Russian store here sell chocolate, chocolate chip cream cheese that is awesome.
Charlie, do you have a reasonably priced source of good fresh or frozen salmon? You could make graved laks. It's a lot like smoked salmon.

We discussed it here a while ago: http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...o-see-on-your-plate-76644-64.html#post1095373

There's links to recipes to make it. I am finally doing my experiment: I took some frozen salmon and frozen dill out of the freezer. I am going to see how well it works to start it frozen. It's sitting in my fridge now.

I don't really like grave dlox. I am more into smoked stuff. When I am in NY I go to russian fish processing plant where they make really good , real smoked lox.

But thank you.

multi-seeded bagels, butter,place a slice of cheddar, then top with either bacon and brown sugar and broil til cheese melts or just green apple and cheese add cinnamon and sugar. Nice for breakfast.
kades

My two favorite bagels are onion & cheddar (from the bakery). There was a bagel factory somewhere around town, that made every flavor. Another shop sells different homemade cream cheese combos i.e. cream cheese w/ lox, etc.

Anything goes in a bagel, for me, i.e.

Tuna/artichoke melt w/ provolone open faced. Slice the bagel in half, pull out some of the bread (toast if desired). Fill/stuff w/ tuna, chicken, turkey or crab salad. Sprinkled w/ shredded cheese, put under the broiler till cheese is melted.

I used to eat bagels only at breakfast until I realized that while hiking or bike riding my Sammies would squish. My solution was to use a nice whole wheat bagel instead of sliced bread. It worked like a charm and the lunch bagel was born. ;)

living in the world capitol of bagels, i divide my choices into three categories: breakfast bagels, sandwich bagels, and dessert/snack bagels.

my favourite breakfast bagels are: plain bagel with a schmear (aka a swipe of cream cheese), onions, and lox,

or, salt bagel, schmear, scallion, and cucumber,

or, warm everything bagel, lots of cold sweet butter,

or, onion bagel, schmear, fresh spinach, julienned bell peppers, and pickled hot peppers.

bagel sandwiches include: plain bagel, taylor ham, fried eggs, and american cheese,

or, plain, sesame, or poppy bagel with tuna salad and red onion, or whitefish salad and red onion, or smoked trout or smoked mackerel salad and green onion,

or, plain or sesame bagel, french dipped (beef, onions, swiss, beef broth)

or, a garlic bagel, roast beef, yellow onion, and melted american cheese.

finally, i like bagels for dessert sometimes, using a melted cheese (brie, cheddar, gruyere, swiss, etc.), and a fruit jam or preserve: raspberry, peach, blueberry, blackberry, etc..

i think i need to try a maple syrup/melted cheese dessert bagel soon.

Last edited:
living in the world capitol of bagels, i divide my choices into three categories: breakfast bagels, sandwich bagels, and dessert/snack bagels.

That sounds delish! Maybe with some bacon crumbles....I used to LOVE Schwartz brot with quark topped with sour cherry jam when I lived in Germany. The sweetness of the bread, the tartness of the quark and jam....I'd probably want to use a pumpernickel bagel as the delivery device re: maple syrup and melted cream cheese....

my favourite breakfast bagels are: plain bagel with a schmear (aka a swipe of cream cheese), onions, and lox,

or, salt bagel, schmear, scallion, and cucumber,

or, warm everything bagel, lots of cold sweet butter,

or, onion bagel, schmear, fresh spinach, julienned bell peppers, and pickled hot peppers.

bagel sandwiches include: plain bagel, taylor ham, fried eggs, and american cheese,

or, plain, sesame, or poppy bagel with tuna salad and red onion, or whitefish salad and red onion, or smoked trout or smoked mackerel salad and green onion,

or, plain or sesame bagel, french dipped (beef, onions, swiss, beef broth)

or, a garlic bagel, roast beef, yellow onion, and melted american cheese.

finally, i like bagels for dessert sometimes, using a melted cheese (brie, cheddar, gruyere, swiss, etc.), and a fruit jam or preserve: raspberry, peach, blueberry, blackberry, etc..

Those all sound good along with the chopped liver one.

Back
Top Bottom